Remove Advertisements

I have come full circle...

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

I have come full circle...

Postby uke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Many many moons ago, before the xpac was even out, I had many a fun little toon I made both on horde and alliance side. It was fun, though I rarely took a character above 40. Seems I would eventually lose interest after getting a mount and move on to the next class to try out. This went on for about a year and a half. Made some toons on PVE servers, PVP, horde, alliance - all of them low levels and none of them really grabbing me for the long term.

And then one day, I stumbled upon a little video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ6tCDY9oVU

I thought to myself, "wow, that little paladin is going toe to toe with that mechanical monstrosity. One that they call...Curator."

That is when the spark went off.

I later found vids of similar guardians of the light taking on 2..4..15 mobs at once, a sight that any of my existing toons would have cringed at. I knew then that I had found my true WoW calling.

Therefore, many moons ago, I started down the long, long path of the light, setting off to due great things. It was tedious, but the memory of that lone paladin facing off against that beast kept me inspired.

It was a hard road. Often I was told that I was wasting my time, that paladins couldn't tank and were better off healing. "You're only making it harder on yourself by pursuing this path" they said. I often considered giving up the righteous path and going on to yet another alt-toon. But that vision of the small downing the mighty lingered in my mind.

After a long while, I finally hit 70. I put in every ounce of effort I could to get myself geared and ready to carry the burden of facing off against the monster. But my guild, my comrades, were not yet ready to face the same obstacles. So for a long time I sat, wondering if I would ever do anything beyond normal Shattered Halls...

But then, just yesterday, I heard a plea. A plea for someone to assist a group in kara, to be a backup for their well-equipped bear tank. "A-ha!" I said. This is my chance to go work in Kara. Even better, they were already past Attuneman and Moroes.

I acted as the secondary tank, as the mighty bear took down big nasties. And I was there to reliably back him up when needed. Maiden fell, then the Big Bad Wolf soonafter perished to the mighty bear. All was going well. I did not get anything useful to drop, but at least I got some badges, so it was all good.

We soon came to Curator, the mighty beast I had only seen in visions -- visions of others downing it. The plan was simple, the bear would tank him. I would provide lol-dps. This was fine with me, as I was the guest in their group. I had no desire to rock the boat.

But a problem arose. We did not have the dps to take down the arcane balls. We wiped once, eventually becoming overwhelmed. We wiped twice, three times, even! People were becoming tired, and there was even talk of calling it for the night.

I then made a suggestion: "you know, it might help our dps if the druid tank dps's in cat form, while I try to tank Curator. And if I bite it, then at least we gave it a shot"

The group responds "should we give the pally a chance? Sure, might as well. The druid will dps while you tank."

This was my chance. I had prepared a long time for this, and knew that it could be done. However, despite my best efforts, I still questioned my ability. I was still 5% crushable (97% avoidance). However, I felt good about my life, defense (about 494) and armor, and I had faith in our healers, who had done a good job so far. So the next time around, I threw my shield, and we were off...

The fight was long and hard. The monster they called Curator hit me with all its might. My life bobbed from full, to near empty, to near full again, back and forth. This time, the arcane balls were going down, people were staying alive. Curator enraged at 10%, and I felt his fists pounding faster...and harder...

But in the end, after that now ancient video of a paladin taking on the beast, which had led to my long, hard road of perserverance...

*I* had finally tanked the monster.

My WoW life is now complete. Everything else from here on out is just gravy.

That is all. Have a good day. :D
Last edited by uke on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
uke

Re: I have come full circle...

Postby ldeboer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:58 pm

LOL nice story ... and GRATZ

Now

On "the hoof" your aoe will shine
No tanks for Aran but your survival skills will see you thru

Then finally you will be at your destiny the one they call the prince
ldeboer

Postby Bobness » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:41 am

It's always nice to see someone reach they're ultimate objective. Savour the moment.
Bobness

Postby Neejo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 am

gz on your moment of victory...

i personally have to struggle against another pala tank that keeps telling me i got the skills but not the gear.. till that one moment where i proved him wrong :P
Ebann `Protection Paladin ` Shattered Hand - EU
Neejo

Postby guillex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:16 am

Congrats bud!

I see that Invis inspired you also ... I saw one of his earlier movies, and was bitten by the bug.

And now I'm in Direct Defiance with him when I bother to log on, lol.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Catriona » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:34 am

/cheer!

What a nice story. :)
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Postby Warrender » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:15 am

I went through a similar experience before TBC came out. I played a Paladin to around level 57 in the WoW Closed Beta but my pre-release guild had decided to go Horde so no Paladin for me.

Playing in the initial BG's against premade Alliance featuring Paladins in full T2 and bigass 2Handers made me hate playing against them. So when the opportunity came when I was able to leave my original PVP server and start a character on a whim on a PVE server, I opted for Paladin. I leveled up and eventually raided enough to collect a full set of T2 and a bigass 2Hander. Stepping into a BG one day, I realized:

I had become that which I had hated the most.
Last edited by Warrender on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Always happy to hear inspiration stories from the fans! =D

Grats and keep on tankadining!
Invisusira

Postby uke » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:29 am

Invisusira wrote:Always happy to hear inspiration stories from the fans! =D

Grats and keep on tankadining!

YAY! Invis approves. :D

(squeal!)

(tinkle)