Good situation

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Good situation

Postby Pillar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:51 am

So... after going with my guild twice now on kara, being OT both times, i was told last night while helping some guildies complete some quests, that the RL/MT, had been talking it over and was wanting me to start being a MT and him OT, at least on the lower parts of kara, and possibly the upper ones once I got better gear. considering some peoples struggles with this, i found this a tremendous success and chance to show that pally tanks can shine! that being said, i am also nervous, holding 9 other people's fate in my hands, and also trying to show that we are viable tanks. i am trying to improve my gear, mostly stamina and avoidance at this point as i am above the 490 def cap. any other advise would be greatly welcomed!
Last edited by Pillar on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pillar

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:56 am

Once someone talked to me after I tanked for them
"You're male, right?" (My toon's female)
"Yeah, why?"
"You tank typically like a male"
"how so?"
"Balls to the wall"

If you did your homework here, there's nothing to worry about. Just focus, know the strat, and execute it. It rarely takes more than one or two tries to master them
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 am

Even though it's against my better judgement to do this sort of thing, as "what can I do to improve" threads are frowned upon, here you go:

1. Replace ALL your +9 stam gems with +12.
2. Get Revered with the Aldor for Vindicator's Hauberk.
3. Get the Cenarion Expedition necklace.
4. Get the Timewarden's Leggings from The Keepers of Time.
5. Drop your +sd gems.

2, 3, and 4 should put you over uncrushable, if gemmed properly. Take a look at the gear forum stickies for other suggestions that you can pick up outside of Kara. From what I've got here, it looks like you're still 7% crushable (thereabouts). You need to change that, and fast.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Elvidnir » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:06 am

I went from being told "You're not a priority." a month ago, to obliterating a multitude of prejudices in my guild within the last few weeks.

Tanked Attumen and Midnight at the same time. With 1 of the 2 healers disconnected for 75% of the fight.

Tanked Moroes, the Prot warr add, and the ret paladin add for a time till the CC figured it out. (not such a big deal)

On the way to maiden, had half the raid asking "Who's gonna tank maiden? Paladins can't do it.", (Offtank was a really crappy prot paladin) then proceeded to tank maiden through one of the cleanest kills we've had.

Tanked Roar, Tinman, and Strawman with only one healer, because our resto druid (the one that disconnected during attumen) had a crapton of threat and died when Tinman went live and I couldn't pull him off. Strawman was around 50% when the fire mage finally figured out that fire stuns him.

Last week, tanked Nightbane in a one-shot, cleanest kill we've had of him.

Your gear is going to be your biggest limiting factor. I'm at about 13,700hp and 13,600ac with about 510 defense (overkill) and about 1.5% over uncrushable. (unbuffed) I focused on stacking dodge and defense (for miss) over basically everything else on the avoidance table. Sitting around 250 spelldamage with Wizard Oil.

The most important thing about paladin tanking in Kara is to not let anybody get you down about it. Also, know when to let things go. You probably won't want to tank maiden on your first time out as MT. Juggling cooldowns with the silence is a royal pain in the ass.

Also, depending on which mob you're tanking on the attumen fight, you will want to be careful because if you're tanking Midnight and you consecrate, your Attumen tank may not be able to pull him off you. This generally only applies if your second tank is bad.
Elvidnir

Postby Pillar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 am

i have the CoT pants, i just havent used them yet as i was using felsteel to make sure i have over 490 defense. now that i have some wiggle room there, i should be able to switch into them.

i am almost revered with aldor, so should be able to that this weekend, and the CE necklace, i am not sure on- is it revered status as well? i am about 1k short of being revered if i rememebr right.

i kept the +sd gems to make sure i had enough to keep aggro, but i think with flasking/potions i am fine now. i will swap them out before the next run!

thank you guys for the advise, i know you don't like the "improvement" threads, but i really appreciate the help. i really want to impress my guild and prove their confidence is well placed, especially considering ive been there 2-3 weeks now, only been on 2-3 kara runs, adn they are already wanting me to tank kara soon...
Pillar

Postby guillex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 am

Strength of the Untamed is a Revered item.

As per your armory, you're Revered with them already.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Pillar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:25 am

been awhile since ive done anythng for CE rep, and i couldnt check armory at work, so i wasn't sure. thanks!
Pillar

Return to Karazhan