Trouble on Phase 2 Netherspite

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trouble on Phase 2 Netherspite

Postby Scrawn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Today we took down NS but it was a bit messy.

Especially the Phase 2 banish phase. We decided that running out was causing too much confusion so we had the raid stand inside NS and carry on DPS.

What I want to ask is that the tank also ran in the middle so NS would spin around frantically making it hard to run to the tail during netherbreath - causing deaths. Should the tank stay at the front and just eat the breath thus keeping him facing the same way?

The reason we stay inside is because if we run out he usually runs amok for a while and it gets difficult when hes moving around.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but math is, in fact, not voodoo magic, and you can't invalidate the
mathematical formulae the game is based on with your nonsense anecdotes
Scrawn

Re: Trouble on Phase 2 Netherspite

Postby Tyaera » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Scrawn wrote:Today we took down NS but it was a bit messy.

Especially the Phase 2 banish phase. We decided that running out was causing too much confusion so we had the raid stand inside NS and carry on DPS.

What I want to ask is that the tank also ran in the middle so NS would spin around frantically making it hard to run to the tail during netherbreath - causing deaths. Should the tank stay at the front and just eat the breath thus keeping him facing the same way?

The reason we stay inside is because if we run out he usually runs amok for a while and it gets difficult when hes moving around.

Running out is not confusing in the slightest. When Netherspite goes to banish phase, EVERYONE runs to the windows. EVERYONE. Right before Banish phase is about to end, the tank runs back in to pick him up so he doesn't move too much. Tank might stay a nether breath as he runs back in.

edit: when i did the fight it was from the perspective of a DPS so I didnt' realise both tanks and a healer stayed in to fight.

so yeah, both tanks and one healer stay in to fight, everyone else runs to the window.
Last edited by Tyaera on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Pizbit » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 pm

If you're using the stay in method, the tank should just eat it if 'spite is turning around, else he's running around too soon, he should only run for the tail once netherspite starts casting.

Run out method is 1 healer both tanks stay in, rest run as far away from netherspite as possible(How that is hard I don't know)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:47 pm

Netherbreath is on a random target. Everyone constantly runs behind him. He spins around a whole lot, you keep running. He starts casting, thus stands still facing a single direction, everyone keeps running. Netherbreath goes off in the direction he was casting, everyone is behind him and does not get hit.
Zhalseran

Postby Makaijin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Talking of Netherspite, does he reset his threat table after the end of every banish phase? Our groups use the "run away" tactic including the tank and healers. Few times I've had someone else run in before me just before the banish phase ends, and the person closest to NS will get aggro instead of myself when the phase ends and before the new beams are available.
Makaijin

Postby Pizbit » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Makaijin wrote:Talking of Netherspite, does he reset his threat table after the end of every banish phase? Our groups use the "run away" tactic including the tank and healers. Few times I've had someone else run in before me just before the banish phase ends, and the person closest to NS will get aggro instead of myself when the phase ends and before the new beams are available.

Yes he does.

This is why we've always had the tanks stay in.
Pizbit

Postby Thanehand » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:46 am

He resets his aggro at the end of every banish phase. This should not be a problem for a pally tank, since you just wait till just before he withdraws, Consc, then as he withdraws Frisbee/judge him. He stands still for a second or two as he withdraws giving you plenty of time to pick him up. (The only time when I struggled was a noob lock's Curse of Doom went of at that moment :S)

During the banish phase, we have everybody move to him and run through him to his tail all the time. This allows the tanks to keep tanking, the dps to keep dpsing, and usually no-one gets hit by netherbreath, so the healers get to regen a bit. The only time this causes a problem is when some numpty mage keeps casting fireball when NS's stopped to cast netherbreath. (Yes, he does stop, there's no reason for anyone to get hit by it ever)
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby Gracerath » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 am

I miss when he was a demon :( I was spamming the shit out of Exorcism for snap aggro between phases and I was wondering why it wasn't doing anything. Woops!
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby palouf » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:28 am

We did have this problem with him before.
The easiest way for us was to simply aggro him closer to the entrance door then in banish phase all the group even the tank go to the window.

2/3 seconds before banish is finished, I go to take aggro with a healer and ask him to heal only if i'm too low ( so that he doesnt take aggro, i was able to tank him for fews secs without any healing in all the transitions.. ). I just tank him few seconds until the portals are here to make the group take its position. Always try to drag him to the entrance door so that your window positions are safe.
It may take you one or 2 more phase rotation but its really easier for the rest of the group if the players in the beam know what to do and the group focus on their positions and dps at the right time (after red beam is taken ).

P.S : Got my mantle yesterday :-)
palouf

Postby Lylith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:33 am

I also have a question regarding Netherspite. So far, I only fought him when I was on my lock or my priest, but I also started doing Karazhan with my paladin lately so I am wondering:

When we fought him before, two warriors or a warrior and a feral tanked him. One of them took the red beam during each phase, strafing in and out of the beam after a few seconds so they didn't get the exhaustion debuff. How long does a tank stand in the beam and for how long does he need to step out of it before he goes in again? I always hear "a couple of seconds" but how do I know when it is time to go in again? Do I go out once I have one stack of the buff and move in again just before it runs out on my buff mod?

Because of the side effects the green beam has on a paladin's mana, I assume it is a bad idea for a paladin to stand in the green beam. Who picks up the green beam? Any non mana user?

Ah and also: I think I only have aggro automatically as long as I stand in the red beam? Or as long as I have at least one stack of the buff? If it's only as long as I stand in the beam, I suppose I need to do my normal thread rotation when not standing in the beam? Won't I run oom because of lack of healing?
Lylith

Postby Pizbit » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 am

Lylith wrote:I also have a question regarding Netherspite. So far, I only fought him when I was on my lock or my priest, but I also started doing Karazhan with my paladin lately so I am wondering:

When we fought him before, two warriors or a warrior and a feral tanked him. One of them took the red beam during each phase, strafing in and out of the beam after a few seconds so they didn't get the exhaustion debuff. How long does a tank stand in the beam and for how long does he need to step out of it before he goes in again? I always hear "a couple of seconds" but how do I know when it is time to go in again? Do I go out once I have one stack of the buff and move in again just before it runs out on my buff mod?

Because of the side effects the green beam has on a paladin's mana, I assume it is a bad idea for a paladin to stand in the green beam. Who picks up the green beam? Any non mana user?

Ah and also: I think I only have aggro automatically as long as I stand in the red beam? Or as long as I have at least one stack of the buff? If it's only as long as I stand in the beam, I suppose I need to do my normal thread rotation when not standing in the beam? Won't I run oom because of lack of healing?

It really is as simple as 'a couple of seconds" count a couple, move out, count a couple, move in.

I take the green beam no problem to be honest, you don't need mana to tank netherspite. Best I think are rogues/warriors or something.

You have aggro for as long as you have the red beams buff, you don't need to do normal threat rotation while in your red beam phase.
Pizbit

Postby Bludusk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:46 am

I stand in the beam for three or four seconds (the debuff adds a charge every second), then move out for three or four seconds. Rinse and repeat for the whole beam phase.

As long as you've got the red beam buff, you'll have aggro. I normally judge and seal Wisdom to keep from going oom. You'll want to switch to your normal threat rotation during the banish phase.

A pally can tank the green beam if necessary, although it is far more ideal to have a class with no mana bar taking it. If you're a BE, you can Arcane Torrent as soon as you get your mana bar back, and have Wisdom judged. Netherspite will hit you a few times in the banish phase and that will also help your mana regen. If worse comes to worse, you could always pop a mana pot. You shouldn't have to use more than one or two for the whole fight.
Bludusk

Postby Steg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:47 am

We use the run out tactic aswell though we tank him a bit more to the right so we can run towards the left wall...

But we use 1 tank and 1 healer on him on the banish fase and wait for any dps till the red beam is up again... then you don't have to worry about any aggro resetting tables
Steg

Return to Karazhan