Kara team starting out

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kara team starting out

Postby Rykis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 am

I'm trying to hash out a few things with my guild and an allied guild to run Kara. Not everyone is attuned yet, and there are still a few things in Heroics/Badges people want to pick up. I figured this was good time to start reading up a bit on Kara and what to expect.

I am getting close to uncrush and I think I might be by the time we get going. I'd like to get my HP up a bit more, but right now I am struggling with that. At this point, I'd rather be uncrush with lower HP than crushable with a slightly higher HP. The first few runs will probably be tough.

Anyway, that is not the reason for my post. I understand my magic numbers, namely 102.4 and 490 w/ > 250 +spell. As a starting out MT, what should expect out my team?

I'd like all my healers to have around 1100 +healing. Should my DPS be trying to hit a certain AP or crit?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Um, looks like I logged w/ my polearm equipped. If you look at the armory please ignore that. I have the season 1 mace with +40 spell on it.
Rykis

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:11 am

There's no hard-and-fast numbers for DPS. Look for a group that's got at least full lvl 70 Dungeon blues or quest/rep reward equivalents. Craftable epics help where possible, especially Tailoring sets for the casters. Make sure your offensive casters have stocked up on Spell Hit.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rykis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 am

Well, one of my DPSers went crazy and played PvP for eons and now he has full season 1 gear + the accessories. Yes he is a hunter.

Problem is his crit and hp is through the roof, but his mana and attack power are low. I don't think he has any +hit except for what is provided to him with talents (3%).

I'm looking for some hard facts to provide to him, that his gear although good, might not be the best for Kara, etc. He rarely pulls aggro these days, but I'm worried he might have been focusing on the wrong stats.

If I could give some "general" advice to my team that would be good. My mage is already working on spell hit and we have gotten a few good 115 blue drops from non-heroics.
Rykis

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:22 am

As someone who plays a Hunter, I can agree that the S1 Hunter gear is gash for raiding, unless he's going for a Survival-specced crit build. He's still got rings, belt, cloak, weapon etc to load up on hit rating, and if he's specced Survival, then he he'll probably have +3% to hit from talents.

If you're not sure he can cut it, take him on a heroic and check out his DPS as compared to other ranged DPSers. If he's holding his own, great, if he's lagging, talk to him about it.

I maintain however that there's no hard and fast numbers available as even within certain classes, different specs require different stats.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rykis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:32 am

He is survival spec. We have only done a handful of heroics. I'll throw up the damage meter and see how he is doing on the next one. Thanks.
Rykis

Postby Shirak » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:08 am

Remember you can't crit a boss unless you hit it.

There are stats out there that give +hit targets. My old main was a hunter and I was told to get to 134 hit rating. Other classes have different values.

Get the hit values up then worry about crit.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Jobah » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Yeah you guys are just starting out, its gonna be a struggle, not gonna lie. The first time i did kara i was about where you're at right now. My group made it to curator and we couldnt down him. The first floor of kara is about execution rather than gear. You can be pretty new to kara and clear the first floor if you know what you're doing. The upper level of kara requires the gear. You need the dps to down the bosses, the tank gear to live through the bosses, and the healing gear to be able to heal you for 5 minutes w/o running oom.

My advice would be to have your group consist of:

you tanking and a druid off tanking
bring 3 healers, 2 pallies and a druid would be nice.
shadow priest is a must for kara until you're doing t5 content.

the rest of your dps doesnt really matter after that. You'll want at least 1 warlock for the future when you start doing illhoof and shade.

certain bosses also require interupts. so at least 1 rogue is nice to have.

For gear... just make sure you're not bringing people in greens. You're just starting off so you cant really set your standards too high, but you should hope to have a nice and full epic group clearing it within the next month. Best of luck.
Jobah

Postby Uthadanin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:06 am

Jobah wrote:Yeah you guys are just starting out, its gonna be a struggle, not gonna lie. The first time i did kara i was about where you're at right now. My group made it to curator and we couldnt down him. The first floor of kara is about execution rather than gear. You can be pretty new to kara and clear the first floor if you know what you're doing. The upper level of kara requires the gear. You need the dps to down the bosses, the tank gear to live through the bosses, and the healing gear to be able to heal you for 5 minutes w/o running oom.

My advice would be to have your group consist of:

you tanking and a druid off tanking
bring 3 healers, 2 pallies and a druid would be nice.
shadow priest is a must for kara until you're doing t5 content.

the rest of your dps doesnt really matter after that. You'll want at least 1 warlock for the future when you start doing illhoof and shade.

certain bosses also require interupts. so at least 1 rogue is nice to have.

For gear... just make sure you're not bringing people in greens. You're just starting off so you cant really set your standards too high, but you should hope to have a nice and full epic group clearing it within the next month. Best of luck.

I only disagree with the priest statement. My usual pug has downed moroes without a priest of any kind. IT was more difficult but not impossible with 0 party members being fully kara geared let alone a single one of them even looking cross-eyed at a t5 instance.

Attumen/Midnight is a positioning fight
Maiden is a healer check, and she can be frustrating to a new group
Moroes is a cc/dps check. A lot of targets moving around
Opera depending on event is easy its just paying attention
Curator is a dps check and hits moderately hard
Shade is a major dps alertness/competency check
Chess is free loot/badges
those are all my pug has done so far.
Uthadanin

Postby Jobah » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Shadow priest is a must for kara, heres why.

The skeletons that freeze the tanks on the way to opera. You might be capable of having both tanked tank both (ive done it) but its such a hassle. Its easier to just shackle one and deal with one at a time.

Mana battery: This is why we love shadow priests. Yes the shackle is nice... but ill take the mana regen over the shackle any day. Especially if these guys are new to kara, healers are gonna have to last a lot longer than usual due to slow dps.

Bring a shadow priest, no matter what.
Jobah

Postby Holyhomer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

If you don't have a shadow priest readily available, don't worry about it.

It's far from a requirement, and while the shackle from the priest is a very nice tool for a new group, it's hardly required.

Same goes for the mana battery.

I agree that a priest is nice, especially a shadow priest, but saying they are required is an exaggeration.
Holyhomer

Postby palouf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 am

Holyhomer wrote:If you don't have a shadow priest readily available, don't worry about it.

It's far from a requirement, and while the shackle from the priest is a very nice tool for a new group, it's hardly required.

Same goes for the mana battery.

I agree that a priest is nice, especially a shadow priest, but saying they are required is an exaggeration.

Its not required in fact. But it depends mainly on your group composition.
It really easy the fight if you're bringing only 2 healers :-)
1tank / 2healers / 7dps (one of them Spriest) is the perfect group for kara second part, at least for us.
palouf

Postby sweeney » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:52 am

I'd say you're ready to hit lower Kara when you have enough people attuned. So the DPS is missing hit/spellhit; anything before Curator is doable with people playing smart, and it's a chance for your folks to get used to working together and pick up some gear.

I think starting out, the logistical hurdles are the thing that gets you, and spending a few weeks gearing up outside of Kara doesn't address those.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Return to Karazhan