Remove Advertisements

My Karazhan Guide

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

My Karazhan Guide

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:26 am

At the request of a couple of people who read my blog, I put together some Tankadin-centric guides to the various bosses in Karazhan. Where possible, I've aimed the guide at the Tankadin just starting Karazhan as opposed to the overgeared badge farmer like, well yours truly.

They can be found here if folks are interested in reading or commenting:

http://www.wulfsblood.net/search/label/Karazhan
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rehlachs- » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:20 am

The only real complication to this is, because you're using the Red Beam for healing, you won't be getting much mana back via Spiritual Attunement.

huh?

Tip one: don't bother with Blessing of Salvation on this fight. He'll only ever aggro on the person who takes the Red Beam.

There are like 5-10 seconds without any portals after Netherspite switched from banish phase to portal phase. He also has a thread reset at this point, so he tends to kill healers or reckless dds. I don't think Salv is really important for this (since dps actually has to stop until the red beam is up again), but you definitly have get his attention to keep Netherspite from hitting your groupies.
Rehlachs-

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:25 am

Every time the debuff tick renews, you go back to 100% health. This doesn't count as healing and you don't get mana back from it as far as I've noticed.

I've also never lost aggro from not giving my group Salvation on NS. If you'll notice later in the guide I reccomend that the incoming red beam tank try to build aggro on him.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rehlachs- » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:42 am

awr k.

You'll get mana aslong you are not standing in the beam (since your healers are healing now). It's not that much, but a few hits should be enough to keep HS up and grab aggro after transistions. Actually your healers won't stop healing if you are standing in your beam - so you'll get some mana in there, too.. most of it might be overhealing, but it you shouldn't go oom because of this.

I missed that part explaining the aggro dump on the portal phase - it's quite strange to begin your description of the banish phase with "build inital aggro at the begining of portal phase" - if you know what I mean :p
Rehlachs-

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 am

Altered it now to:

Spread out to avoid the Nether Breath cone and get your DPS to open up as much as possible on him. Make sure the next Red Beam Tank is ready with some burst threat to get his attention before the portals appear.

After a Banish Phase, he goes back to the Portal phase and resets aggro. He'll alternate between these two phases. As long as you can keep the raid alive and do enough DPS to kill him in nine minutes, you can get your loot.

I've never noticed the aggro reset tbh. Back when I first did this fight back in the days of yore the other tank just told me to keep swinging at him during Banish phases if I was the next tank up. Ah well, you live and learn.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Korath » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 am

Indeed some good guides, as you prob noticed been checking out your blog for a few weeks now.

Your SSC experiances have helped me get an idea of what to expect on what we have currently just been doing :)

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby NarfJones » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Rehlachs- wrote:awr k.

You'll get mana aslong you are not standing in the beam (since your healers are healing now). It's not that much, but a few hits should be enough to keep HS up and grab aggro after transistions. Actually your healers won't stop healing if you are standing in your beam - so you'll get some mana in there, too.. most of it might be overhealing, but it you shouldn't go oom because of this.

I missed that part explaining the aggro dump on the portal phase - it's quite strange to begin your description of the banish phase with "build inital aggro at the begining of portal phase" - if you know what I mean :p

You don't get mana from overhealing. And if your healers are healing you instead of everyone else, they are wasting their mana. Just bring a pot or two.

He doesn't move during nether rage, so everyone but the tank and healer just need to get out of range, and that's all the threat you need.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeels » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:51 pm

NarfJones wrote:

You don't get mana from overhealing. And if your healers are healing you instead of everyone else, they are wasting their mana. Just bring a pot or two.

He doesn't move during nether rage, so everyone but the tank and healer just need to get out of range, and that's all the threat you need.

This is what we do works really well. Last time we had a recruitment healer with us. He didn't get it that he was supposed to stay so I stayed and healed myself and my friend in arms/armor. So it's not much of healing requied during that phase as well.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Molson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Very nice, Ulushnar. I've bookmarked your blog and will share it with my guild or three. :)
Molson

Postby Lalecize » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:32 pm

Nice work dude.

I have been reading these as they come and they helped me in Kara for sure.

Nice blog - I'll be linking you on mine :D
Lalecize

Postby anrke » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks for this - helpful :)
anrke

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:24 am

NarfJones wrote:

We just have everyone run to the telescope windows to avoid the nether breath, and then run back in, with the tanks slightly ahead to pick up aggro/position. S'always fun when timers are a bit off (Weeee!), but works fine when you have the DPS to only burn during Portal phases. Also means I don't use barely any mana at all during the fight, so red beam healing = no problem.
Dazhbog

Postby econ21 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:37 am

Nice guide. I think it should be stickied or at least linked to in a forum sticky. It's a great starting point for newcomers to Kara.
econ21

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Great guide the Nightbane section needs some small adjustments

Landing:

His first landing is slightly left of the broken barrel on ground summon point if you are standing on the barrel with you back to outer wall. Each successive landing is slightly more right by about 5 yards.

Usually drop consecrate in the appropriate area and then use a quick Exorcism and Judgement of Righteousness to give burst aggro on him.

If you have a hunter in group get them to put up Misdirect him onto you as he lands which is by far the safest way to aquire him.

Healing over time or Damage over time spells in effect when he lands, and no active totems, since he'll immediately aggro on those should be avoided.

Air Phase:

With a paladin tank picking up the skeletons it is easy and if you have good melee and aoe to take them down for the balance of the range dps to stay on nightbane while he is in the air. They do not have to worry about agro as his table will reset as he lands. Locks and priests should however avoid dotting him unless there is a hunter MD because they may get agro after landing.

If you have a high dps group and actually take a futher 25% off him while he is in the air he will simply land and immediately take off.
ldeboer

Postby Ghort » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 am

ldeboer wrote:Great guide the Nightbane section needs some small adjustments

Landing:

His first landing is slightly left of the broken barrel on ground summon point if you are standing on the barrel with you back to outer wall. Each successive landing is slightly more right by about 5 yards.

Usually drop consecrate in the appropriate area and then use a quick Exorcism and Judgement of Righteousness to give burst aggro on him.

If you have a hunter in group get them to put up Misdirect him onto you as he lands which is by far the safest way to aquire him.

Healing over time or Damage over time spells in effect when he lands, and no active totems, since he'll immediately aggro on those should be avoided.

Air Phase:

With a paladin tank picking up the skeletons it is easy and if you have good melee and aoe to take them down for the balance of the range dps to stay on nightbane while he is in the air. They do not have to worry about agro as his table will reset as he lands. Locks and priests should however avoid dotting him unless there is a hunter MD because they may get agro after landing.

If you have a high dps group and actually take a futher 25% off him while he is in the air he will simply land and immediately take off.

There is a little skull on the ground he lands the first time - Stand a little to the left of it when your facing it against the wall and you shouldnt have a problem picking him up - I generally can smash a Avenger's Shield in his face before he starts trying to eat me
80 Paladin (Prot) - Azual
80 Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Madarab
80 Mage (Arcane/Frost pvp) Arlensul
80 DK (Blood Tank) Deadkitten
80 Priest (holy/disc) - Ghort
5/12 ICC 10

Runetotem Server, Fifth Column
Ghort

Next

Return to Karazhan