Tanking prince for the first time

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking prince for the first time

Postby Holyfuri » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 am

I recently tanked prince for the first time on our alt run. I tanked trash including dual tanking the nasty flesh beasts heading to Prince.

I tanked him fine for the most part, a couple times I died when the group had to move and I didn't get a heal while they were moving in phase two. I went down too fast to hit lay on hands even, lol.

Our last attempt however the group never had to move and I suddenly dropped when he was at 30%. I always seemed to make it almost through phase two and then just drop. I didn't get crushed the whole fight either, I just got about four blocks in a row. Am I still a bit low on the gear side?

PS - we were a bit unlucky and I didn't have a fort buff or an imp buff OR a commanding shout. I was at 13.4k hps without those buffs on me.

Maybe I could have made it with those buffs?

Edit hps buffed to 13, oops
Last edited by Holyfuri on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holyfuri

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:41 am

The first time I successfully tanked the Prince, I was at about 16.5k buffed (about 12.5k unbuffed) and even then it was a close-run thing. The problem is, even with those buffs you mentioned, you would have only hit about 14k, which is borderline being able to survive a thrash from the Prince in Phase two (he can hit for about 12k in the blink of an eye).

At this stage in your gearing, it's worth farming a Sun Eater and enchanting it with either 20 Agility or Mongoose if you can afford it. Equip this during phase 2 for a decent avoidance boost. Also, get some Ironshield pots and chug them constantly. They'll mitigate more damage than a healing potion will heal within the two minutes.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Holyfuri » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:48 am

oops sorry i Mistyped. 13.4k hps with the buffs I had in there. Still missing fort, imp, and commanding shout.
Holyfuri

Postby Zeels » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 am

First time I tanked prince I was above 20k health with one karazhan drop, rest badge loot and +12 stamina gems.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 am

Zeels wrote:First time I tanked prince I was above 20k health with one karazhan drop, rest badge loot and +12 stamina gems.

Well lah-dee-dah for post-2.3 Kara Tankadins. :P

@ The OP: Well that's slightly better, but I'd still reccomend following my advice. In Phase 2, the Prince can hit for 12k damage in a second with Thrash, so make sure your health is comfortably above that and you have as much avoidance/mitigation as possible.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Antharas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:57 am

Zeels wrote:First time I tanked prince I was above 20k health with one karazhan drop, rest badge loot and +12 stamina gems.

id like to see the gear u used for that... im full kara geared and im missing only 2 badge peices atm... buffed hp isnt anywhere near 20k hp, and 2 badge peices isnt gonna give me the 200 extra stam i would need to get there.

@the original poster, if your gonna tank him w/o fort or cs you should prbly have 12.5-13k unbuffed hp. w/o fort, imp, or cs.... prbly should have closer to 13.5k unbuffed
Antharas

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 am

Erm, in full badge gear and raid buffed, I'm at 21k and that's with a few hybrid gems. It's entirely doable.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

first time tanking prince is shit scary
And he hits *hard* 40-30%

See if you can't get some more stamina and perhaps try the safe spots so you don't have to move?

My first time tanking him last week I ran OOM 3 or 4 times, once just as holy shield was coming off CD, that was a nervous few seconds >.>
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Korath » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:55 am

1st time I tanked prince I was at around 14K buffed... some point near 30% I got hit for 21K worth of dmg in less than 2 seconds. Its was a very unlucky hit but it happens.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Zeels » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:05 am

Well I'm counting in commanding shout so it's kind of cheating.

Look at my armory, pretty much the same stuff as I'm using now.
Using dodge food and hybrid gems in chest/legs

here is a screenshot as well

By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Worldie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:57 pm

My first time:

i remind it was the day i got invited to that guild, when they said i was MTing that kara i was like "WTF are they crazy?".

I think the most surprised person that night was me, not them...

AND stare to my mightly 12900 hp!
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 pm

You were only able to do it because you had the "Yaaarrrr" buff. Else you'd have gone splat.

*nods head wisely*

p.s. what nub gave you amp magic?
Pizbit

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:09 am

What's wrong with amp magic on prince, i always ask for it even now.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 am

really? I wouldn't think ti'd be a good idea since he does do some magic attacks
Pizbit

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 am

Shadow word: Pain -> Cleansable... by yourself
Shadow Nova

You trade some negligible extra amount of damage from the shadow nova (eventually from a infernal falling exacly on you) for a lot more healing power on you.

Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Karazhan