Tanking alone at Kara

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking alone at Kara

Postby lirael » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 am

hi Guys
i am starting a kara raid with a limited group of friends and it looks like i'll be the only tank there.

I may have a feral druid (cat) and a pal spe vindicte to use as back up.

Could someone outline the best tactics on:

Attumen: i think i should be able to tank the 2 of them
moroes: ?
trash in the corridor (the ones that ice cube the tank):
Actors just before the opera: they seem to hit pretty hard for a single tank don't they?
Romulo + Julianne:
Wizrad of Oz:

If i am not mistaken the following are straight forward assuming i get the right gear.

i am sorry to ask for soo much but i am not sure how to best deal with this.
thanks guys (and girls)

Lili
Paladin 70
lirael

Re: Tanking alone at Kara

Postby Balls » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:16 am

Attumen: Double tank, if you can't you're not ready for curator+ kara.
moroes: Shackle the arms warrior and maybe the ret paladin. Tank the rest and Moroes.
trash in the corridor (the ones that ice cube the tank): Dunno, always had an OT to be on the safe side.
Actors just before the opera: Na, its like dual tanking Attumen again provided you dont let them stay in the spotlight.
Romulo + Julianne: As long as interrupts are awake for Jules, I don't see why not.
Wizrad of Oz: Tank Tinhead and Tito if your cc for the others are there, ie: warlock for Roar, mage for Strawman and nothin' for mage chick. If your cc isn't there just pick up what the cc can't handle.

...Yeah.

Hope that helps. For Illhoof just remember to pick up Kilrek when he's up. :)
Balls

Postby Minn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:29 am

You'll definitely want an offtank for Karazhan. I think it'd be easier for the Druid to step up, seeing as he's already Feral spec.

Up to Attumen you don't need more than 1 tank. For the bigger pulls you might want to work with a Priest to shackle. Paladins can fear too, but that can lead to disaster ;) For the boss fight, tank it all by yourself. Consecrate picks up Attumen for free.

For Moroes you'll definitely want an OT. The pairs of mobs at either end of his room hit very hard, especially if they make you drunk. On Moroes himself, it is very handy to have an OT to hold the boss when you get gouged.

You don't need an OT clearing to or fighting Maiden. Just remember Shackle and Banish on the 4 pull.

For Opera trash, you want an OT again. Ushers will destroy your raid when you get hit with Ice Tomb if you're trying to solotank. Stuff backstage does hit pretty hard, but depending on your OTs gear, you may just want to suck it up and tank both. Just remember to drag them away from their spotlights. Depending on the event:
BBW: single tank is fine
R&J: doable with 1, probably easier with 2 when you're just learning.
Oz: tank tito, build threat on Roar but have someone fear him off you, rest should just get killed or handled by casters. Kill Dorothy ASAP and you should be ok.

Up to Curator the only spot you might want 2 tanks is the double sentinel pull before the manafish. Single tank is fine on Curator.

Check out wowwiki.com for more detailed info if you're unsure about the fights.
Minn

Postby Katatonia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 am

I did two Kara runs as offtank, then both prot warriors in my guild disappeared for good and I've been tanking the whole place by myself ever since. I can't see your gear because you logged in healing stuff, but judging from your sig you have better gear than I did when I started. It's worth noting that I did a ton of heroics and got my badge items pretty quickly though in order to progress faster in Kara.

Attumen+Midnight - Easy, as long as you're at 490 def and uncrushable. Just make sure you don't let Attumen kill any healers when he spawns; save Exorcism and spam a macro to target/cast it on him for the first ~10 sec of the fight it takes to bring Midnight down enough to trigger Attumen.

Moroes - Have your druid (dps warrior/skilled rogue works too) on Moroes with you the whole time with BoSac on him to break the gouge. Rest of the raid kills shadow priest while you tank the arms warrior or ret paladin (have someone dispelling HoJ immediately). Kill the other add you're tanking second, then burn down Moroes. Keep the other two shackled the entire fight. If you only have one priest, use a hunter to trap one of the melees and kill it as well. Ideally you don't want to kill more than two of the adds though, because you have garrotes stacking up on the raid the longer you wait.

Trash before opera - Pain in the ass, there's no way around it. The key is to burn them down so fast they don't have time to ice block you, or at least it doesn't land until they're about to die. If you do take an early ice block, bubble out of it and use everything you've got to get its attention again, while having a priest chain cast shackle and everyone else of it (make sure it's there's no DoTs).

Actors before opera - Never noticed anything hard about these as long as you keep them out of the spotlight.

R&J - I found this very easy to double tank. Harder than Attumen for sure, but still not a problem. Make sure the other people are doing their jobs purging the buffs, interrupting the heals, and watching for the damage Romulo does to people standing behind him.

Oz - Tank Tinhead, pick up Tito (misdirection helps a ton here, but a macro can suffice), have Roar feared, Strawman burned, and Dorothee killed as fast as possible. After about 60-90 seconds start kiting Tinhead while periodically judging him to maintain aggro. Kill Tito second, then Roar, Strawman, and finally Tinhead. Crone is trivial, heal through her minimal damage to the raid (chain lightning) and make sure people stay out of the twisters. If you lack a warlock you can also tank Roar but you'll want Fear Wards and Tremor totem to deal with his fears.

Everything past that point is pretty straightforward except for Netherspite.
Katatonia

Postby aureon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 am

attumen: aoe tank and gg.
moroes: i used to AoE all and get: melees on casters for first, and ONE ranged dps on moroes (2^ aggro) with BoSalv 24/7.
maiden: 1tank is enough
-the worst part comes- Opera TRASH.
here you NEED to cc and to have something offtank. that can be a bear, a fury warr, an holy paladin (yes, you read right) or even a Panzerkin.
opera: aoe tank all and gg.
curator+: nothing to say. use fury warrs or something for aran's trash.
aureon

Postby Zeels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:59 am

Only thing that dosen't seem to be tank soloable is Netherspite.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Zeels wrote:Only thing that dosen't seem to be tank soloable is Netherspite.

....but really all you need is even just a Resto Shammy or Druid in Stam gear as your OT for that fight.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 pm

Have to bitch on my resto friend to get some health gear then :)

Netherspite is the only boss left for us, only did 3 attempts on him though

1) First attempt ppls get locked out
2) 2nd attempt aggro gets screwed during banish phase
3) Down to 22% (worked a lot better when ppls ran away)

I have a pretty decent offtank though, a prot warrior, lucky I'm RL, so I can choose what to tank ;)
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Evangelina » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:10 am

how many hp and armor are required for aoe tanking attumen, Opera ?
Can I try this with only 12K5 hp and 14K armor ?
(of course being uncrittable and uncrushable)
Naxxramas
Evangelina

Postby berbo2 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:34 am

Solotanking KZ from time to time just for fun or gearing guildies. Here is how it goes:

1. All trashes - no need of OT, for the Freezing guys use Free action potions and BoF, if timed good you wont have any troubles;

2. Attumen/Horse - AoE tanking nothing special;

3. Moroes - Warlock/hunter should remove salvation and stay on max range, he will always be second agro, as soon as you are incapacitated Moroes will head to him, since he reach the lock/hunter gauge will wear off so he will run back to you :) Have you ever played tennis?

4. Maiden - make sure you can pop up holy shield inbetween silences and all will be fine;

5. Opera:
5.1. BBW - nothing interesting from tanking prospective, will recomend SoC + SoV combo to make sure you have threat generated even when he chase ppl around
5.2. Oz - if you have lock and mage its like walk in the park, if not make sure you have Tinman and Tiger on you, all else can be controled effectively;
5.3. R&J - set a rogue + felhunter on J all the time and AoE tank them both in one of the corners;

6. Curator - have SP, Warlock to stay all the time on boss and be second agro to soak the bolts, all else is like normal fight;

7. Illhoof - Consecration spam ftw, having warlock spaming SoD is really helpful;

8. Aran - not tankable anyway;

9. Chess - check Aran :)

10 Prince - no need of offtank;

11. Netherspite - have a rogue/hunter to open the fight in tanking beam and take over after 10 ticks, wont be any problem really if you make good rotation.

12. Nightbane - Normal tanking + AW/Consecrate to get the adds in flying phase.

Well wish you all having fun there :)
berbo2

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:37 am

Evangelina wrote:how many hp and armor are required for aoe tanking attumen, Opera ?
Can I try this with only 12K5 hp and 14K armor ?
(of course being uncrittable and uncrushable)

The only answer to this question is: how good are your healers? Even to this day in Kara, the amount of AoE silliness I'm willing to do is directly proportional to the skill and gear level of my healers.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:40 am

I did this last night. Had a feral druid for netherspite, and the pulls before Prince.

Group makeup, which I found out is the perfect one.

1 Prot paladin
1 Holy Paladin
1 Enhance Shaman
1 Elemental Shaman
1 Shadow Priest
1 Holy Priest
1 Feral Druid
1 fire mage
2 who the heck cares what spec Hunters

2 shackles for emergencies, and an OT that can still rock DPS. The whole clear was 4 hours and 4 minutes.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:53 pm

For the actor trash...

Get them out of the spotlight ... THEN ROTATE AND GET IN THE SPOTLIGHT, along with any other DPS that can do it.

You can get the buff. Yeah. Rock on.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Antharas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Guillex wrote:For the actor trash...

Get them out of the spotlight ... THEN ROTATE AND GET IN THE SPOTLIGHT, along with any other DPS that can do it.

You can get the buff. Yeah. Rock on.

yeah exactly. anyone who said u need an offtank for opera trash isnt all that bright... the ice tomb guys maybe, but not the stuff right at opera... i usually tank 3 of those at a time and i have 1 peice of gear from ZA, everything else is badges or kara gear...
Antharas

Return to Karazhan