Dealing with the fears on Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Dealing with the fears on Nightbane

Postby kaisaa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 am

Okay so this week I am going to be main tanking Kara for our gear people up run. Question is about nightbane, I am sufficiently geared for this, have tanked Gruul before but I scared to death of nightbane's fears (lol, no pun intended).

At my disposal I have one perhaps two priests for a fearward, could possibly hava a tremor totem, I have the 5 minute fear trinket and I have my bubbles.

Could someone who has tanked nightbane before give me a strategy on how to manage the fears and which anti-fear tricks I should use in what order? Also with bubbles do I pop the bubble before he casts fear or after?
kaisaa

Postby Sthallas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:45 am

With 2 priests you'd most likely never need to do anything to get out of the fears yourself (but keep the trinket on just in case), with 1 priest you use the trinket and macro below if you need to ditch a 2nd fear before the FW cooldown is up. With no priests you'll want the 2 min trinket or it's going to be more difficult, though with tremor totem + NB not dropping target during the fear its completely doable if you can handle dmg while you're running.

/cancelaura divine shield;
/cast divine shield;
Sthallas

Postby Euphoria » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am

I'm going to get the hell flamed out of me for this but....

I tanked nightbane last week with 1 fear ward and 1 tremor totem, no pvp trinket. (and a very high dps group)

With the changes to fear mechanics he'll never stop hitting you while you're feared, you're crushable though and he'll take full advantage of that.

I positioned him on the skull as normal, my back to the balcony. Priest dropped a fear ward on me at engage to eat the first fear, tremor totem went down immediately after the first fear was absorbed. With a tremor totem down I ate a max of two hits per fear before I was back in and blocking, just make sure your healing corps is aware how very hard you're going to be hit while feared. With our dps he got off one fear per phase.

We wiped once on a bad landing, I didn't pick him up fast enough and he ate a healer. The second time I actually forgot to pop my bubble to bust a fear and we still killed him, I died about 2 seconds before he did.
Euphoria

Postby Ashkicker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 am

The problem now isn't NightNutz dropping aggro, but rather him doing a flame breath or whatever twards the group while your feared, I'd sat get the 2min Breaker Trinket which I believe is the Signet of the Horde or whatever the alliance side has.
Ashkicker

Postby Alberich » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 am

I've handled Nightbane with one priest only. I make it a point -not- to open up with fear ward. Nightbane's first fear will get broken by my bubble. Immediately afterwards, I get fear warded. By the time fear ward gets burned, Nightbane should be in an air phase shortly after. Once Nightbane is back down, you should have DS with probably 2 mins or so left on cooldown, no Forbearance, and fear ward might still be on cooldown.

There is a macro that I can supply once I get home for how to self-cast Blessing of Protection and then cancel it. I use this in the situations where Fear Ward and DS are both on cooldown. By the time that fear is cast, DS and/or FW should be ready for the next one. Rotate as needed, rinse, repeat.

A point for this fight is, however, to NOT use Avenging Wrath. The last thing you want to do is wipe the raid because you got crushed in the back...because you couldn't bubble out of fear.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Note - this fight is very much doable without the PVP trinket.
Alberich

Postby Tybalt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:21 pm

Nightbane can be tanked with no fear ward and no trinket. I've done it many, many times. If your group is regularly allowing more than 1 fear per phase (except for maybe the 1st), you've got DPS issues. Use DS for one phase, and BoP for the next. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Two priests make this fight a joke.
Tybalt

Postby kaisaa » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:33 pm

Tybalt wrote:Nightbane can be tanked with no fear ward and no trinket. I've done it many, many times. If your group is regularly allowing more than 1 fear per phase (except for maybe the 1st), you've got DPS issues. Use DS for one phase, and BoP for the next. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Two priests make this fight a joke.

lol, not too sure of my group's dps this week. The whole point of this trip to Kara is to gear up the less geared folks so our raid leader tossed me as strong tank and two of our strong healers in the group to help pull the group through. It is entirely possible that we will have to eat more than one fear per phase.

And thank you very much everyone for the advice!
kaisaa

Postby Splug » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Keep in mind that if you put blessing of protection up while he's casting the fear, you'll be immune to the fear. That provides a third non-fear ward break with an independant timer. (Just remember to drop it and exorcism him back quickly... something that large shouldn't be able to run as fast as Nightbane does!)

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Mindrak » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:37 am

I've tanked this with lower dps (Multiple fears per phase) and tremor totem (no fear ward etc). We only had 1 death because a warlock (first time in Kara) was standing within fear range. Just have your ranged dps stand near max range (out of range of fear), and they should take no damage while nightbane is rampaging around in fears.

The melee in range had enough HP to not get one shot during fear. As soon as tremor totem breaks it, put your back up against the wall again.

Enjoy
Mindrak

Postby Buffy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:40 am

Isn't there a risk of losing all of your aggro by bubbling out of the fear?
Buffy

Postby Dassandic » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:07 am

DS and BOP will not wipe your or anyone elses agro the mob will just target the person with the 2nd highest agro because of the imunity.
Dassandic

Postby Ehtirno » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:37 am

With a raid that can keep fears down to 2 per transition, you can more or less get through it on your own, with bubbles and trinket. If DPS is slower, you might need a Fear ward in order to remain fear-free.

It's a cast-time fear, there's almost no reason it should move neither you nor nightbane anywhere in the time you spend breaking it.
Ehtirno

Postby Nerves » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:21 pm

DS and BoP work like fade
--------------------------------------------

Nerves

Postby Ashborne » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 pm

Nerves wrote:DS and BoP work like fade

No they don't. While bubbled your aggro is temporarily dropped to the bottom of the list. As soon as the bubble is gone, you resume your last aggro level.

DS and BoP work like a reverse taunt.

Like it has been stated before, just set up two macros. Have one that will DS yourself and then cancel it. The other will BoP yourself and cancel it. Rotate between the two. Do NOT use AW (wings) at all. Have your PvP trinket equipped in case of cooldowns. If you have Fear Ward(s) available, have those cast in between bubble rotations.

Have enemy cast bars turned on and watch for him to cast "Bellowing Roar". When the bar is about halfway through, start mashing one of you bubble macros. He will turn away from you and then turn right back and you will avoid the fear. It works great when you time ti correctly. Make SURE the macros work correctly and make sure to hit them 3 or four times. (I have had one time when the macro didn't cancel the bubble, so make sure to spam the macro so it DOES get cancelled.)

If you follow these steps, it's really easy.
Ashborne

Postby kaenna » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:22 am

I have tanked him a 4-5 times. With two priests I have not had a problem with fear at all. 1 Priest and a Shaman was not bad at all either. You should be fine if you are geared for the fight.
kaenna

Next

Return to Karazhan