Remove Advertisements

Karazhan - Prince Malchezaar

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Saladin » Sat May 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Finally got him last night!

I only know of one or two other pallies on the server that have better gear then me and may have tanked him.. thats jus cos the server thinks pallies can't tank..

I had my shield up every cooldown for uncrushability.. even had to move him in phase two.. clear across the room.. but wow.. what a fight >.< my max buffed hp was 14.8k..

If i can do it.. you can too!

i was ecstatic.. i lost the roll on the helm to the rogue.. but meh.. i was jus so happy we got him down.. when my old guild told me that pallies cannot MT kara.. i jus MT'd every boss in there cept aran... and Nspite Nbane.. havent attempted yet..
Saladin

Postby Acro » Sat May 26, 2007 7:41 pm

We attempted, with a warrior tank best attempt was 14%, then the next day i tanked we got him to 7% but then people had to go and then we had to bring in a undergeared ret pally to dps ><, And we got him to 1% 3 times in a row, it had nothing to do with the pally cause his whole time there he did less then 15 more dmg then me. But anyhow i think we got the fight down just need to find a better dps to take that 10th spot, Fun fight, and stuff hope he drops my t4 helm tomorow i am like only pally here who dont have it. I know we got him tomorow.
Warrior Ftw....
Acro

Postby adese » Sun May 27, 2007 6:17 am

My guild took down the Prince for the first time last night.

For the first 4-5 attempts, we had the warrior MT him, so that I could stay back and spot heal (he and I were the only melee we had). We got him down to 34% on our first try (mostly due to luck with the Infernals), but we couldn't get him any lower than that (mostly due to bad luck with the Infernals, or the warrior getting crushed twice in a row).

So, we switched it up, I MTed him, and the warrior just did melee "DPS" on him, and ran out when he got Enfeeble. We took the Prince down that try. :D

I think that I have pretty good gear, but not the best (armory link in sig). Imp HS definitely made the difference here - I did my best to keep it up at all times, even at the expense of threat generation. Since I didn't get crushed (at least not twice in a row), the healers were able to keep up with the damage done to me.

It definitely helped to have someone else in the raid call out where to move him to, since I can see absolutely nothing. Have them do their best to say which direction to move relative to the way you are facing, even though that makes it harder for them. A wrong move on your part could easily wipe the raid.
adese

Postby Rhastago » Sun May 27, 2007 6:37 am

Prince is so annoying.. first and third phases were so shit for my mana regen since he did 0 damage to me :/
My only chance of grabbing some mana was phase 2 ;/ (and I swapped the jotc I had on for a JoW)

but that's offtopic, grats :)
Rhastago

Postby jere » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:30 pm

I finally got a chance to tank him some after the patch (we were finally able to take down Aran consistantly). I found the fight really fun from my perspective. I kinda followed the following format:

1. Phase One == Treat building time -- In this phase, I primarily focused on building aggro as high as possible. I did the basic AW + AS + JoR + SoR pull, and got him to the wall. I used SoR / JoR until I was about 12k threat above the next person, then I swapped over to SoV / JoV. This boosted me up pretty fast and I easily got way above then next person in threat by the end of phase 1. Of course I kept HS up as priority and Consecrate as I needed if I was having a slowdown on threat. I actually avoided Exorcism as I am trying to ween myself off of it (not all bosses I will face are gonna be undead), though I would never let myself lose aggro if it came down to it.

2. Phase Two == Stay Alive Phase -- In this one, I swapped over to SoL / JoL only as to help keep myself less of a burden. The only threat abilities I used were HS and Consecrate for this phase.

3. Phase Three == Finish Him -- In this one, I kept up JoL, but switched to SoV/JoV to help burn him down faster. Of course HS and Consecrate were used.

I used this strat on him and have so far successfully tanked him 3 times with it. The very first time, my base HP's were 11,400, which surprised me since I always here you have to have 12k+ hps to tank him, unbuffed. Still, now I have 12,700, so it is much safer.

Still, this is a fun fight. I actually used some strategy in it.
jere

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Rhastago wrote:Prince is so annoying.. first and third phases were so shit for my mana regen since he did 0 damage to me :/
My only chance of grabbing some mana was phase 2 ;/ (and I swapped the jotc I had on for a JoW)

but that's offtopic, grats :)

Well cut back on your armor some, the increased armor values after the patch really lower his dmg. You can always tell your raid that you'll cleanse yourself and just let the dot get a few ticks on you before you remove it in phase 1 and 3. I always use JoW on him from the start for the ranged DPS folks, since this fight is really a DPS race against the infernals. I can't consecrate spam, but I can still judge and exorcise.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:14 pm

I assume you guys tank him against a wall, do you guys run forward and consecrate? I notice against the wall when I consecrate my consecrate doesn't even hit him, so I don't even use it this fight.

I can't even imagine my threat with consecrate...not that I need it, but it'd be awesome :P

and I would use JoW at all times in this fight...you'd seriously be amazing how much mana regen casters get from it...in a 7 minute fight my Enh shaman recovered 11.4k mana from JoW...mage, 2.9k, hunter 8.8k, shadow priest 4.5k, myself 9.6k. It really adds up and is amazing.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Jensaarai wrote:I assume you guys tank him against a wall, do you guys run forward and consecrate? I notice against the wall when I consecrate my consecrate doesn't even hit him, so I don't even use it this fight.

I can't even imagine my threat with consecrate...not that I need it, but it'd be awesome :P

and I would use JoW at all times in this fight...you'd seriously be amazing how much mana regen casters get from it...in a 7 minute fight my Enh shaman recovered 11.4k mana from JoW...mage, 2.9k, hunter 8.8k, shadow priest 4.5k, myself 9.6k. It really adds up and is amazing.

I've not had a problem with consecrate not hitting him, he seems to be right on top of me. I tank him against the farthest wall from the door. The wall to the left is angled so if that's where you tank him maybe that's why he can't get as close to you?

I know you use Wow web stats because you posted a link but anyhow, it shows lots of details about the fight, and the mana gain your raid gets from JoW is amazing. You can get a ton of great information from looking at that data, I highly recommend it for those who don't use it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Phasek » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I've never had a problem with consecration either. I'd also agree that the first phase you should focus entirely on building threat. During stage two you need to focus on mitigation, even use an ironshield pot if you're having issues with it. The DPS will want a cushion to start opening up at that point. The third stage is a straight up race, the cushion you build from stage 1 is really good here since DPS needs to open up as much as they can, cooldowns and all.
Phasek

Postby khash » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:54 am

i switched to group 2 last week after group 1 downed shade for the first time the week prior because there was no group 2 and i really want 25 mans. So I MTed (was OT in G1) and led group 2 on almost a full clear of karazhan (everything but illhoof was dead by monday night) not only getting Group 2's first prince kill but beating group 1 who couldnt kill him

i ran along the wall to the far corner to start keeping him there and building a crapload of threat. i only used aoed during phase 1 to help with aggro, after that excorcism/holyshield/SoR/JoR was more than enough, by phase 2 i had over a 50k threat lead and switched to sun eater w/ mongoose for the remainder to add a little more avoidance. when all was said and done I averaged 65% avoidance throughout the fight from mongoose on sun eater, grace of air, gear, trinkets, and pots which made the only hard part of the fight dodging the infernals, first attempt we wiped at 3% because we died to infernals before we could run through them to a clear zone, 2nd time when he died half the raid died after him from an infernal that landed on us right after he died lol

my stats were 10.4k unbuffed HP, 14.5k armor with devo, 22%D,13%M,18.5%P,16%B, 200 spell dmg, and then fort/mark/shaman totems and some pots, all in all a really fun fight and lets us shine (self cleanse and more charges on block ftw)
khash

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:22 pm

If my group clears to him tonight and needs me (last minute projects FTL) I'll see about my consecration issues...I could swear it's not hitting him but maybe I just don't see it in the log...I admit I haven't looked TOO hard (usually concentrating on other things ;)) but as of yet I haven't really needed consecrate...though I guess it would give my dps an even bigger ceiling, though they've never even come close to catching me, heh ^_^ (I offer them gold, seriously, if they can catch me that fight...they never do :P)
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Ragnor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Excorcism is probably the better threat/mana rather than consercrate anyway :)
Ragnor

Postby Menardi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:10 am

How many healers are you guys using? We're using 3 main healers, a Druid tanking and myself healing as Prot. To me it feels like we'd be better off with me tanking and the Druid DPSing, since the only reason we're wiping is when our Druid gets a chain of Crushing Blows.
How well do you think I'd do in this fight? I'd obviously be using my Continuum Blade for threat buildup in phase 1, and swapping to Sun Eater for phase 2. (Armory link in sig.)
Menardi

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:22 am

You would do very well, your gear is beyond what I'd expect from someone farming Prince and using 4 healers is absolutely terrible for that fight. In fact, if 2 healers can't keep you up against Prince then they're just not using mana potions at all, which is inexcusable. You usually want a 3rd for comfort and spot healing, but at 4 you're only hurting DPS and increasing the odds that infernals will find a way to screw you.

Also, I can't imagine that SoL/JoL would make any noticeable impact whatsoever on the healing needed... in pretty much any group situation.

I assume you guys tank him against a wall, do you guys run forward and consecrate? I notice against the wall when I consecrate my consecrate doesn't even hit him, so I don't even use it this fight.

If you tank him against a wall, it's best to get as close as possible to him to increase the 'safe zone' for healers. My consecration has always hit him for most of the fight, even when we were learning him with the assumption that shadow nova was 40yd and I ate every knockback.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lightskin » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 am

I am trying to work my stats up to tanking this beast...we had a Tauren Warrior tank it and we got him to 8%. Please help me. I haven't been getting any of the Kara drops for epics and I need some direction as to what to get.
Lightskin

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan