Remove Advertisements

Netherspite and the green beam

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Netherspite and the green beam

Postby Betha » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm

I have a question for all the experts, or anybody who has managed to kill Netherspite.

First the background....

In my guild, I am the MT, w/a War OT. In the Netherspite fight, I will take the red beam first, and dance in and out of the beam every 3 or 4 "ticks". The War tank is "tanking" the green beam the entire phase.

When Netherspite switches to his "banishment" phase, both the war and I stay with him, the rest of the raid runs away and bandages/drinks/pots whatever.

When the next beam phase comes up, the war takes the red, dancing in and out, and I take the green for the entire phase.

Our best fight yet had him down to 28% before the wipe (dps tanking the blue beam were dieing.)

This was very frustrating to us, becuase we downed Prince on our 2nd look at him. So why in the hell couldnt we kill Netherspite?

My RL posted a message today on the guild forums that the problem we had was me tanking the green beam. That when my mana hit zilch, I was no longer effectively blocking the beam, and that the beam was healing Netherspite!

I read and did as much research as I could prior to the fight, but I have never seen this trick with the green beam.

So I submit to the forums, is this true? Do you as Tankadin's block the green beam? If you do, what is your technique?

The frustrating part of not getting Netherspite this week is that during this weeks run, we saw half the bosses for the first time, and killed them all, save this damn dragon! Of course, we havent done the prereq's to summon Nightbane, so I'm not counting him, as he was not available to us to fight.

I am frustrated and disappointed because my goal as the guilds MT and as a Tankadin is to be the solution to problems, not the cause of dorking up the kill.

At any rate, is a Tankadin blocking the green beam a bad technique?

Thanks y'all - Happy Battles!
[url]=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Betha
Betha

Postby Swagger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:06 pm

It's a bad technique for the fact that it crushes your mana alone. I've *heard* that when you're oom you're not technically blocking the beam anymore, I can't say for certain whether it's true, but it's just much easier to have a dps warrior or a rogue block it instead, as it has no negative effect on them.
Swagger

Postby Invisusira » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:36 pm

You shouldn't be in the green beam. We always have a non-mana user in it each time; a warrior for the first and a rogue for the second, or whatnot. This is quite literally what won the fight for us.
Invisusira

Postby Betha » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Dontcha just love dorkin up the kill like that? Doh!
[url]=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Betha
Betha

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:51 pm

I always "tank" the green beam, and just arcane torrent when the effect is over so i have mana to get him after.

You still get it when you get "0" mana.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Everlight » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:54 pm

I never take the green beam. Ever.

I always have a non-mana user take it for the whole phase, usually a Feral Druid or one of the off-tanks.

That way the healers can steal the green beam for a few ticks whenever they want for more mana, and don't have to worry about moving at all.
Everlight

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:06 pm

you should not be in the green beam period end.

As for the green beam healing Netherspite when you have 0 mana, that is garbage. I've tanked the green beam on my Priest and gone down to 0 mana, and nothing happend. The beam effect keeps stacking on you as long as you are in the beam, and when its hitting you, its not hitting Netherspite. The only way to be standing "in" the beam and it not be hitting you, is if you have Nether Exhaustion.

I also adore the green on my Rogue. After a full phase Hemo costs less than an energy tick. Also if you bandage after the green beam you get uber bandages from the beam effect.
Zhalseran

Postby Aessina » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 pm

I always tank the green beam. The second I step into it, I pop Avenging Wrath and burn max rank everything. I just keep doing that until I run out of mana. When the debuff wears off, I pop a mana potion. Works flawlessly.

Never had any problems not blocking the beam.
Aessina

Postby NarfJones » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:52 pm

I've tanked the green beam. It doesn't heal Netherspite when you get to 0 mana. It does make more sense to have a non mana user tank it, but I jsut rotate with my OT to make it less confusing. If i had a group i thought could handle a non linear rotation, I would most definitely stop tanking it, but until then, I'm just a big 'ol health block.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Lumenactio » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Yeah, you're fine in the green beam. I've always done it exactly as you describe.

I go in, judge wisdom. And stand there wacking on him in the green beam. He phases. I slow regen some mana.

Red beam.

I take red. Red is automatic aggro so it doesn't matter where your mana pool is. By then you have enough to keep holy shield up. And that's all you need really.

He phases.

Keep hitting him.

You never get actual threat. You just abuse the red beam's threat principal.

Just make sure the other tank is doing threat normally that way he keeps threat during the down times.

I also always start green. So that the other tank has plenty of time to gen tons of effective threat besides that of the red beam.

We found it smoothed the transitions.
Lumenactio

Postby jere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:04 pm

I have found putting a rogue/warrior/kitty in the green beam to give our groups the best results.

They have no mana to drain and they tank it just fine.
jere

Postby Gerilith » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:55 am

Staying within the green beam for 1-2 ticks results in full mana - <3 green beam
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Re: Netherspite and the green beam

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:23 am

Betha wrote:When Netherspite switches to his "banishment" phase, both the war and I stay with him, the rest of the raid runs away and bandages/drinks/pots whatever.

Our best fight yet had him down to 28% before the wipe (dps tanking the blue beam were dieing.)

When he banishes keep up the dps. Running away just makes it harder to avoid netherbreath. If you get every close to netherspite they can easily run behind him when he turns and starts casting netherbreath. The only exception might be the cloth dps who might get one shotted by a stray melee from him.

Noone should die in the blue beam. If you have a warlock they can stay in the beam for a whole phase draining life. Otherwise noone should be staying in there for more than half the phase (20 stacks). If your casters are dying in the beam they should be getting out sooner; once the shadow aura starts ticking for half their health they really shouldn't be in there anymore.

Just a tip though. When you arn't in the red beam, tank the blue beam not the green. You can survive in blue a lot longer than those mages with 8k hp. The dps buff isn't worth casters dying, it really isn't that good. If your casters refuse to move because they want bigger numbers just assign your healers to tank it. They can heal themselves and won't be in such a hurry to stay in it. Remember though; the blue beam doesn't matter that much. You can kill netherspite with nobody in the blue beam for the whole fight. Tank it as much as you can to help the healers, but make sure everyone understands that being alive is more important than the blue beam.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby xyzor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:12 pm

We put the OT (Warr usually, sometimes Fruid) in the green beam first, while I am in the red. Then for the next phase the OT takes the Red and a melee DPS (usually Rogue) takes the green. We have a lock and Mage alternate on the blue, but tell them, as the above poster said, that it is more important that they live than that the blue beam is tanked.
xyzor

Re: Netherspite and the green beam

Postby Makaijin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:47 am

gwayne wrote:
Betha wrote:When Netherspite switches to his "banishment" phase, both the war and I stay with him, the rest of the raid runs away and bandages/drinks/pots whatever.

When he banishes keep up the dps. Running away just makes it harder to avoid netherbreath. If you get every close to netherspite they can easily run behind him when he turns and starts casting netherbreath. The only exception might be the cloth dps who might get one shotted by a stray melee from him.

Noone should die in the blue beam. If you have a warlock they can stay in the beam for a whole phase draining life. Otherwise noone should be staying in there for more than half the phase (20 stacks). If your casters are dying in the beam they should be getting out sooner; once the shadow aura starts ticking for half their health they really shouldn't be in there anymore.

Just a tip though. When you arn't in the red beam, tank the blue beam not the green. You can survive in blue a lot longer than those mages with 8k hp. The dps buff isn't worth casters dying, it really isn't that good. If your casters refuse to move because they want bigger numbers just assign your healers to tank it. They can heal themselves and won't be in such a hurry to stay in it. Remember though; the blue beam doesn't matter that much. You can kill netherspite with nobody in the blue beam for the whole fight. Tank it as much as you can to help the healers, but make sure everyone understands that being alive is more important than the blue beam.

Actually when you run during the banish phase, you are supposed to run out of range of his netherbreath which is around 40 yards. While banished, he stays in the same spot. When out of range, he will still target someone random, attempts to cast the breath, nothing happens because he's out of range, 1-2 secs later he will switch to another random target and repeats until the phase ends. By doing this the whole raid can avoid alot of damage during the banish phase, and depending on class and spec, some ranged can still keep the dps going. Our survival hunter can keep shooting (46 yard range specced), and our lock runs in and out of range and refreshes his dots.
Makaijin

Next

Return to Karazhan