Remove Advertisements

Illhoof strategy: Ignore Kil'raek

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Annabelle » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:26 am

Easiest fight on him is when I took in my pally. Normally we do the SOC from the lock with consetration aura adn he gets healed the the main tank gets healed. For this fight I got behing Illhoof and had a bear tanking him. I was OT because I had just respeced prot about a month before and had mostly crafted and quest gear. I put up FR aura and kept using HS and consecrate the entire fight and I got heled, seemed I rarely got below 3/4, didn't pay much attention to how much healing I was getting because I was in awe how fast the imps went down. I killed the imps myself and was also damaging Illhoof and his pet. Took us about 4min to down him and it was so relaxed. I was 2nd on the damage meter too :P Can't wait to go in there and pwn him again, even though he has nothing for me, excelt of course 2 badges 8)
Image
Keep your friends close and your curly fries even closer.
User avatar
Annabelle
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 am
Location: San Diego CA

Postby Ana » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:51 am

I hate to say this but 90% of the guides and strategies listed in these pages does not help out the new tankadin that is going there for the first time.

You people need to set your I'm wearing BT gear and can solo Karazhan in 3.4 minutes epeens aside and list the proven starts for these fights with normal dungeon/kara pieces. Reading all these strats, they all say just AoE tank everything, and unfortunately you all know the new tankadins do not have the gear to do that.

IMO.
Anathematic / Megalomania / Tohuvabohu / Surrealistic
Ana
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Sthallas » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't know why they wouldn't, I've AoE tanked Illhoof and Kilrek along with consecrating to hold the imps as long as possible for the warlock(s) to Seed since the day I set foot in Kara back in mostly the Uncrushability Guide gear. It's was a brand new Kara group and had alt healers and alt dps (they had all just basically started kara also) and still killed him just fine.
Sthallas
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 pm

The gear level to drop curator before/during second evocation seems to be the best measure of when to stop ignoring kil'rek and start killing him whenever he's alive. OT is usually dpsing or stealing Kil'rek's attention.

Yes i'm greedy and like all imps and satyrs on me >.>
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15539
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Shirak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 pm

We generally start by nuking Kilrek as when he is down you get bonus damage on Illhoof. Then all DPS stays on Illhoof (Except to burn chains).

Generally we tank on Illhoof and offtank on Kil'rek.

When I'm there the guild is more open to me just tanking then both.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
User avatar
Shirak
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:29 am

Postby Fabozz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Ana wrote:You people need to set your I'm wearing BT gear and can solo Karazhan in 3.4 minutes epeens aside and list the proven starts for these fights with normal dungeon/kara pieces.


My guild just downed Prince for the first time this weekend, and we've never even seen Nightbane. That should be noobish enough by anyone's standard.

Our bear MTs Illhoof, the DPSers burn Illhoof (chains first when necessary), I focus entirely on Kilrek and kill him a couple times by myself, and between my consecrate, the mage's AE and the warlock's SoC, no one pays any attention to the imps. (Go go two priests with PoM!)

I won't say we've got him on farm, because an unlucky sequence of sacrifices will wipe us, but we down him reliably. Futzing about DPSing Kilrek, on the other hand, wipes us every time we try it.

As for an earlier suggestion that someone needs to watch out for Kilrek's respawn: That would be my job as the guy tanking him. Not a big deal.

(BTW, most of the time my armory shows my BT shelf AOE gear. My tanking stats are 13K health and just-barely uncrushable raid-buffed.)
Image
Fabozz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Postby Lisilia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:24 pm

i had most of the heroic stuff before i headed into karazhan and usually i just tank illhoof, throw consecration and exorcism kil'rek as soon as he spawns
if that doenst help i taunt him. he will usually keep hitting me

more dmg, more mana, more consecration => win
Oh crap! Righteous Fury!
Lisilia
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Postby Invisusira » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:38 pm

Basically, it's:

Be lazy and ignore Kil. Illhoof will die.

or

Don't be lazy and tab to Kil when he spawns. Illhoof will die faster.
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:39 am

Ana wrote:I hate to say this but 90% of the guides and strategies listed in these pages does not help out the new tankadin that is going there for the first time.

You people need to set your I'm wearing BT gear and can solo Karazhan in 3.4 minutes epeens aside and list the proven starts for these fights with normal dungeon/kara pieces. Reading all these strats, they all say just AoE tank everything, and unfortunately you all know the new tankadins do not have the gear to do that.

IMO.


I AE tanked that fight my first time through Kara. Kil'rek dies plenty fine with all the AE that's going on; I just sit there and beat on Illhoof, consecrate spam, and Exo Kil'Rek when he respawns.

Another FANTASTIC strategy for Illhoof: Shamans. Have 'em pop Fire Elementals if the AE'rs are having any sort of trouble, and they clear the imps right out.
Image
User avatar
Dazhbog
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Pig and Whistle Tavern

Postby Pizbit » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 am

I'd put it like this: If you're confident you have what it takes to MT illhoof then you can easily:

Fire resist aura.
JoW illhoof early on, have everyone stand in the circle of candles.
Position illhoof at the top of the circle, far from the door.
Consecrate spam.
Have the OT pickup kil'rek, solo him, and every time after he comes back.
Have people use incidental AoE, blade flurry, whirlwhind, hurricane, volley etc on cooldown and if you think you need it, call in mage/warlock AoE.
The usual 'kill the damned chains first' applies.

The most important thing is to have everyone inside that circle of candles as it means any imps coming out that go for your healers will be in consecrate range and turn to you. If people are outside the circle it doesn't work as well :lol:

In any case if you're using a they warlock should always be casting SoC on Illhoof, I've done this on my lock and I found it to be far simply and easier than SoCing the imps. It does rely on people being inside the circle.


P.S. Don't be scared of the imps, they are smaller than gnomes, and how frightening are gnomes eh? :roll:
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Postby Gracerath » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:32 am

Invisusira wrote:Basically, it's:

Be lazy and ignore Kil. Illhoof will die.

or

Don't be lazy and tab to Kil when he spawns. Illhoof will die faster.


I used to think the same but it is most certainly a quicker kill when you ignore him and just let the AE kill him for you (Seeds, blade flurries, whirlwinds, mage shit). I really wish we had used this method during our growing pains in Kara long ago. There is no laziness about it :)
Bye space sword!
User avatar
Gracerath
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Postby Invisusira » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:30 am

Gracerath wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Basically, it's:

Be lazy and ignore Kil. Illhoof will die.

or

Don't be lazy and tab to Kil when he spawns. Illhoof will die faster.


I used to think the same but it is most certainly a quicker kill when you ignore him and just let the AE kill him for you (Seeds, blade flurries, whirlwinds, mage shit). I really wish we had used this method during our growing pains in Kara long ago. There is no laziness about it :)

Timed movies with the same group doing both strats or it didn't happen. Remember, your guild is a lot more geared now than it was when you first killed him.
User avatar
Invisusira
Moderator
 
Posts: 9021
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: alt-tabbed

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:44 am

Invisusira wrote:Timed movies with the same group doing both strats or it didn't happen. Remember, your guild is a lot more geared now than it was when you first killed him.


I don't have any movies (Fraps makes me compie so very, very sad), but I did both strategies with Kara level groups, and the "Let the AE hose Kil'rek" one was still noticeably faster. Mainly, I think, because the other group went so far as to dedicate a few DPS to melting the big imp, rather then having everyone switch briefly.

I can ask some of our Kara level groups to do timings, though.
User avatar
Dazhbog
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Pig and Whistle Tavern

Postby NarfJones » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Ana wrote:I hate to say this but 90% of the guides and strategies listed in these pages does not help out the new tankadin that is going there for the first time.

You people need to set your I'm wearing BT gear and can solo Karazhan in 3.4 minutes epeens aside and list the proven starts for these fights with normal dungeon/kara pieces. Reading all these strats, they all say just AoE tank everything, and unfortunately you all know the new tankadins do not have the gear to do that.

IMO.


Please don't act like there aren't guides for the beginning tankadin. Cause, Holy crapinabiscuit, this whole forum is FILLED with early raiding/gear/instance/vanifae's gender questions and answers. There is tons of information on this site for you. Now, if you please, My epeen needs some airing out.

/e Slaps Lady Vashj with his epeen
User avatar
NarfJones
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 am

Postby Uthadanin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:20 am

Invisusira wrote:
Gracerath wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Basically, it's:

Be lazy and ignore Kil. Illhoof will die.

or

Don't be lazy and tab to Kil when he spawns. Illhoof will die faster.


I used to think the same but it is most certainly a quicker kill when you ignore him and just let the AE kill him for you (Seeds, blade flurries, whirlwinds, mage shit). I really wish we had used this method during our growing pains in Kara long ago. There is no laziness about it :)

Timed movies with the same group doing both strats or it didn't happen. Remember, your guild is a lot more geared now than it was when you first killed him.


I'll see if one of the dps in our K3 group can film it both ways, we are the least progressed (gearing wise in the guild) and our guild is only t4 (new guild for me).

I will add that we aren't brand spanking new to kara, but most of us have drops from kara that will still be upgrades.

*edited to make sense*
Image
Image
User avatar
Uthadanin
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 am
Location: Colonie, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?