Remove Advertisements

Karazhan - The Maiden and The Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karazhan - The Maiden and The Curator

Postby Owaru » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:23 am

Last weekend my guilds main tank and offtank didn't show up so I was asked to Main Tank Kara w/ a Druid Offtank. It was first time even stepping into the place though I had spent a fair amount of time reading up on WoWWiki, browsing these very forums along with Elitist Jerks, and reading some blogs about paladin tanking and tanking in general. We got both Attumen and Moroes down in one attempt but got spanked twice on the Maiden and went onto to the Opera event where we wiped on Romulo and Julianne( Druid had a hard time holding aggro on julianne ) enough times to call it.

The Maiden - I think this was mostly positioning. It might have been a mistake to try to shield-pull her when I should have just run in and had a hunter misdirect on me while I consecrate and seal/judge to build my aggro lead. With the shield pull she would run at me it took time to get her into place.

The Curator - never tried it but this is currently the guild's "stopping point". We've never been past him as a guild and I want to do my very best to see that I'm not the weak spot here and help my guild advance. Any and all tips about Pally Tanking the curator would be very welcome.

My gear isn't great - with a brand new baby girl I haven't had time to farm for gear in instances. I take what I can get my hands on. My weakest point right now is my trinkets. I've had bad luck in Slabs and Shattered Halls. The Libram will be replaced with the libram of Wracking since I don't have the Heroic Badge libram yet. Otherwise, aside from saving up to regem some of the +8 Parry into +8 Dodge, and finding someone to enchant Shield Block to my Shield, Threat to Gloves, Dodge to Cloak, Spellpower to my Sword, and Fortitude to my Feet then my gear shouldn't be changing much.

Edit:
Meant to link my Armory page: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ia&n=Owaru
Last edited by Owaru on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Owaru

Postby Pecos » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:47 pm

It's more or less a straightforward tank N spank fight. A key here is to have another class with high Sta to soak the bolts. This can be an OT or anyone else that can stay second on his threat meter. We typically use a Shadow Priest but a number of classes will work fine.

Once I pull, I normally throw the shield first, seal crusader then seal/judge righteous and get holy shield up. Just like most other fights, you want Holy Shield up constantly. After a few judges of righteous and I feel like I've got a decent lead, sometimes I'll put wisdom on him to help the casters. Then you just ride him like this while the dps cycle through the sparks and get ready for the Evocation stage. Once he begins this phase, that's when you pop your wings, throw your shield, consecrate, judge....whatever you can to help out. Also don't forget when he's under 20% that you can hammer of wrath him as well.

It's a very simple fight for the tank. No moving or special positioning. All you have to do is stay on top of the threat meter, which isn't all that hard to do :P

Also, about Maiden, what you described is exactly how I pull her. One difference I think I do is I'll set up my other spells. So pre-shield pop righteous, holy shield and even wings if you want, so that they're on cooldown and plus you don't have to worry about missing it once you're in her consecrate. So get your abilities ready, throw the shield and immediately run through her and then spin and back her into the middle. This fight is cake now that we've figured it out, just spam those abilities and make holy shield a priority. Good Luck.
Pecos

Postby Tybalt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:35 pm

Positioning Maiden is easy, even with a shield pull. Prep SoR, cast holy shield, and toss the shield at max range. Run straight through Maiden, and pivot 180 degrees as soon as you right on top of her. Drop a consecration, and just keep backing up until she's standing right in the middle of the platform.

As for Curator, the key here is uncrushable status and a good amount of HP. Having a few oh shit buttons (moroes' pocket watch, dawnstone crab, etc) if your healers are having problems helps. As for the bolt soaker, the mechanic works in such a way that the person on his threat list with the highest current (not max) HP gets targeted. We have a druid OT who stays in bear form, and soaks the bolts no problem, without any arcane resist. Other than that, success on this fight is entirely dependent on your group's DPS.

If you can kill each arcane mob before the next one spawns, you'll be able to punish Curator during his evocations. Once he enrages, he stops spawning arcane adds, so your healers can all focus on healing you.

Good luck.
Tybalt

Postby Lamassu » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:08 pm

You can hold high threat on maiden fairly easy without Avengers wrath.

It is possible to cast any spell in her AOE silence. Just keep pressing HoTs fast enough and you will eventually cast :)
Lamassu

Postby Tiandelin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:25 pm

I haven't tried maiden yet. In fact, she's the only (tankable) boss I haven't tanked in Karazhan. I just stand on the sidelines and keep sacrifice on the tank so that I can heal during repentance.

As for the curator, tanking him is pretty straightforward and doesn't require any special concern that doesn't apply to bosses in general. However, I would advise saving your wings for the evocation and then hitting him with everything you have. Consecrate up the whole time, judge when you can, avenger's shield when everything else is on cooldown. Just make sure to have holy shield up when he drops out of evocation. I've actually pulled aggro from him while on bolt-duty doing this.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Xanatos » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 am

On a related note, with apologies to the OP if it seems like I'm hijacking the thread, I've noted that you can only keep one Bosac on the tank at any one time - meaning that only one pally can snap out of repentance. In a situation where there is more than one pally (personally I've got 2 healing pallies and myself in healing gear for this fight), would it be possible to piggyback the BoSacs such that all the pallies take damage and snap out of it?

Consider:
PallyA casts Bosac on tank and takes damage. PallyB casts BoSac on PallyA to take damage. PallyC casts BoSac on PallyB to take damage.

Possible? I'm just speculating at this point. And yes, I know that we can BoSac another melee to take damage as well. This scenario is merely for instances with only the tank in the consecration.
Xanatos

Postby eia » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:39 am

Yes, you can BoSac a pala that BoSac's the tank. Just use lower version of the spell so you are sure that both take damage.
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Menardi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:33 am

Maiden is a sucky fight for a tankadin. I tend to fluctuate between 500 and 700 TPS in this fight, which just doesn't cut it with my raid. I'd suggest you heal and the druid tanks for this fight.

Curator is all about mitigation. Threat really shouldn't be a problem for a pally tank. I actually used to tank him with my Sun Eater and swap to my Continuum Blade only for evocates. Like others have said, make sure you're uncrushable as much as possible. Don't pop wings until the first evocate unless you're stacking Seal of Vengeance.

Also, congratulations on the baby! :D
Menardi

Postby Nerfage » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:47 am

The key to curator isn't the tank. It's the DPS. If your DPS isn't good enough, you won't make it.

More than one flare up at a time is a sure sign that things are not all good in kara land.

As far as maiden... I've never had to much of a problem doing the shield throw and repositioning her in the middle. If your doing it with out a pally healer, just make sure to have all your healers close enough together so a single consecrate from maiden will hit them all.
Nerfage

Postby Zaffira » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Nerfage wrote:The key to curator isn't the tank. It's the DPS. If your DPS isn't good enough, you won't make it.

More than one flare up at a time is a sure sign that things are not all good in kara land.

As far as maiden... I've never had to much of a problem doing the shield throw and repositioning her in the middle. If your doing it with out a pally healer, just make sure to have all your healers close enough together so a single consecrate from maiden will hit them all.

I agree, although looking at the OP's gear his/her stam and armor is a bit low and doesn't appear to be uncrushable either.

11k unbuffed hp should be minimum health for any MT role in Kara IMO.

Try running some heroics (Heroic Mech badge runs are an easy way to get 3 badges per day in less than an hour) and definitely get your Libram. Dabri's enigma is also a great defense trinket easily obtainable from a group quest in Netherstorm. I would try to get your dodge up too--I think 20% dodge is the minimum for any MT in heroics any beyond. With enough Tempest Keeps runs you'll hit exhaulted with Sha'tar and can get the crest and pop some stam gems in it.

I leveled up engineering in one day just to get my Tankatronic Goggles. Cost me about 800g including mats for the goggles because I'm not a miner, but was totally worth it. I'm sitting close to 11.5k unbuffed right now which I think is a comfortable place to be for any MT duty in heroics and Kara.
Zaffira

Postby Aplus » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:16 pm

well i tanked maiden for my first time in a pug and it went fine. the silences were annoying, but i just did my best to keep consecrate up and had the pally healer rank1 BoSac me. I'm not sure why because i know the fight wasn't 10 minutes long, but the blessing wore off and i did have to LoH myself during a repentance. Other than that things went smoothly and we won. If your dps is OP, i would just recommend that they l2use a threat meter.

The pull and positioning was very easy using the tactic described above. (AS and run in, turn around and walk her backwards)
Aplus

Postby sindorei » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Aplus wrote:well i tanked maiden for my first time in a pug and it went fine. the silences were annoying, but i just did my best to keep consecrate up and had the pally healer rank1 BoSac me. I'm not sure why because i know the fight wasn't 10 minutes long, but the blessing wore off and i did have to LoH myself during a repentance. Other than that things went smoothly and we won. If your dps is OP, i would just recommend that they l2use a threat meter.

The pull and positioning was very easy using the tactic described above. (AS and run in, turn around and walk her backwards)

if u can keep conscecration up, threat shouldn`t be a problem, we killed her within 4 mins and i have like 20k threat ahead of everyone
sindorei

Postby Cliodna » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:29 am

Tanking the maiden can be difficult, any spells that have a cast time are useless. Anything that is instant cast is all you got. Occassionally for my guild they've had me step out on tanking and help with cleansing (had lots of DPS). For the curator, our MT would help with the sparks and i'd end up being the MT on the curator. Being uncrushable is a big deal with this guy. One run I had a spark on me and it killed me because my healer couldn't get me up fast enough.
Cliodna

Postby Enkoram » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Okay...

We we've been trying Maiden for the last couple days... I pull, blah, blah, blah.. things SEEM to be going fine until the first Repentence, her HP are dropping nice up till then.

We had a pally healing me, and two priest (one on one side, one on the other) healing their groups.

My healer, had BoSac on me... but when that repentence hit, I was the only one still up. The healer missed hitting me w/ BoSac. The priests asked if I could move her during the repentence, so that they got hit "just quickly" w/ her AoE.

Is there something else that I could be doing? Our DPS is 'okay' and I'm way ahead on threat.. but this is getting old. To add to the frustration, we got her to 1% the other night.. but haven't come close since.

My question.. is there something that I SHOULD be doing during repentence?
Enkoram

Postby Everlight » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Enkoram wrote:My question.. is there something that I SHOULD be doing during repentence?

With competent healers, you don't need to do ANYTHING. Myself, I cleanse people while fighting.

If you have Paladin healers, they really have to use BoSac. If you don't, you can get your third healer to step into the Holy Ground just before the Repentance, and then step out and keep healing when it goes off.

I really don't like moving her. She's hard to move around safely, and tends to get behind you and crush you in the back if you try and shift her.
Everlight

Next

Return to Karazhan