Karazhan - Netherspite

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karazhan - Netherspite

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:39 pm

This one is a ton of fun, but pretty challenging in co-ordination.

He has 3 colored portals that will spawn around him in the distance. Each sends a beam of colored light to him which buff him in one way or another. Players can stand in the way of the beam and get the buff instead while preventing the buff from hitting netherspite. While in the beams, the buffs will stack and eventually be more harmfull than buffing so people will have to rotate in and out of the beams. After you leave the beam and the buff fades, you will have a 2 minute debuff for which you cannot enter the same color beam...

He banishes himself every 45 seconds during which it's generally practiced to run back out of the room to avoid his attacks during it.

The beam you really want to care about is the red one. When you get in it you will gain 30,000 HP on top of what you already have. On top of this, whoever is in the red beam has 100% agro guarunteed. However, every second you stand in it your hp will be reduced by 1,000. So after 30 seconds, your hp will start to go down below what it was when you started. We use a healing pally or druid to jump in the beam behind us after the first 25-30 seconds to take over for the last 15 seconds until banish. It will take a few tries to get the transition, but it's quite easy once you establish the pattern.

When he banishes, you will have the 2 min debuff meaning you can't go back out into the red beam after the banish fades off, so you'll need another tank to do so, as well as another healing pally or druid to take over the last 15 seconds. During this part where I can't be red beamed, I usually go help heal for the first 10 seconds or so, then blow everything I have for damage. Avenging wrath, consecration, avenger's shield, exorcism & holy wrath ( hes an demon dragon ), sor, etc. After 30 seconds or so of this my mana will be very very low, so i use a trick with the green beam. If you jump in it, let is stack once, then jump out, you will gain 100% mana back after the beam wears off. This is perfect because almost as soon as I'm out of the green beam, he will go into the banish phase and it will be my turn to tank again after he comes out of banish. Then the whole pattern repeats itself; red beam tank, healing pally/druid replaces you, banish, heal, dps, green beam, 100% mana, banish, repeat.

The beams can and will change positions after each banish. It is very important that when its your turn, you get to the red beam as soon as possible. A helpful trick I found was to use exorcism when back into the room, look quickly for the red portal and run straight at it. This ensures that I am perfectly positioned between the portal and the dragon, since he's directly behind me from my exorcism threat. Many times before I figured this out, i was trying to position myself halfway in between the dragon and the portal, and when the beam comes I was actually a few yards off, and the red beam hits someone else. This is the worst thing that can happen if it's a mage or a healer, they can get one shotted and you NEED everyone alive. Running straight at the portal with the dragon behind you makes sure the beam will hit you and only you.

I go for the dps while I'm not tanking because he NEEDS to be damaged 20% between banishes in order to kill him within 9 minutes. If the fight goes longer than 9 mins, he will enrage and destroy everyone. While my dps is certainly not huge, every little bit helps. Depending on your raid makeup, you may have to heal instead, it really depends on which is needed more.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Nebuchadneza » Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Got our first kill on him last night :D woot!!

Since the door has appeared with patch 2.1, instead of running outside for the banish phase, we just had the majority of people run to the far edges of the room. We left our tank in the middle beating on him with 1 healer within range (me). Netherspite seems to target people randomly for the ranged attack, but rarely casts it (if at all), so most of the raid is protected from damage during banish.

We used a warrior/rogue combo for the first phase of red beam, and each "tank" stayed in the beam for 20-25 stacks. Second tank phase was myself and our hunter, for 20-25 stacks again. We took him down not long after that while he was still banished.

It's funny how we wiped and wiped on this boss (usually we left him till last and ran out of time) and then suddenly it all makes sense in a stupid kind of way ;)
Nebuchadneza

Postby Jensaarai » Sun May 27, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm going to have to think of a different tank rotation because the one we have atm is not working...when I get another shot at this I'll post what happens (we're trying 3 tanks, a b c, rotating through 3 phases, first phase a to (we've tried 15 through 25) stacks then b, second phase (after a banish) tank c then a, third phase tank b then c). Our problem has been 1) people dying during banish (l2moveyourcharacterplzkthx) and 2) red beam debuffs not wearing out in time. I think I'll keep 3 tanks and have one of our healers step in each time around 25-30 stacks, like is done here.

We'll see. I hate the timing on this :P
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Kvaern » Sun May 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Nebuchadneza wrote:Got our first kill on him last night :D woot!!

Since the door has appeared with patch 2.1, instead of running outside for the banish phase, we just had the majority of people run to the far edges of the room. We left our tank in the middle beating on him with 1 healer within range (me). Netherspite seems to target people randomly for the ranged attack, but rarely casts it (if at all), so most of the raid is protected from damage during banish.

We took him this week using another stategy, we thought about it but didn't see much point in running away during the banishes since there's no way to avoid being targeted by the breath so instead we had everyone spread out in a circle around him and go all out on dps.

Worked like a charm and he went down much much faster than he does when you have people running away, the only thing you have to be careful about is making sure DPS stops a second before he comes out of the "banish" (which it really isn't) so the tank can pick him up.
Kvaern

Postby Nebuchadneza » Sun May 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Kvaern wrote:we thought about it but didn't see much point in running away during the banishes since there's no way to avoid being targeted by the breath so instead we had everyone spread out in a circle around him and go all out on dps.

That was the strange thing. Netherspite was randomly targetting people while banished, and you could see his target and he spun around to face each person. And yet... no breath, so he would go to the next target...no breath etc. I'm not quite sure how it worked because "rarely" he would actually hit someone, but most of the time he just kept retargetting. With our MT on him the whole time Netherspite didn't move position on the phase change, except when the red beam was picked up by the next designated tank.

Multiple ways to skin it and Netherspite's a pretty big cat. ;)
Nebuchadneza

Postby Kyroro » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:59 pm

I also observed the same thing. He would rarely (but not never) cast while in banish phase. Reminded me of a dog that would keep looking at different people in a room but not actually doing anything. I'm not really sure what Blizzard's intention is with the banish & his breath, but currently our raid uses the banish phase to bandage and regenerate. This is consistent with the behavior of one of the green dragons that does something similar.

Anyways, to tank this guy, you just need someone with high armor. In fact I used 5 man gear to tank this so I would have a bit more mana.

We used 2 tanks for this fight. I realized that the only time you need to generate threat is either 1. during the pull, or 2. when he comes out of a banish. During banish there's nothing you can do about his current target. If it's my turn to take the red beam, I just sit there with 1 healer in an attempt to take all his breaths, and to make sure that when he comes out of his banish, I blow everything to get aggro (wings, judge SoR, exorcism, max rank consecrate). I've read that it's an aggro wipe when he comes out of his banish, so I treat it as such. After you get hit with the beam, you don't need to continue generating threat. I judge & seal wisdom to regenerate mana for the next phase so I can help spot heal people who dropped dangerously low.

I also noticed that for the 45s he's in portal phase, you CANNOT take the red beam in full! i.e. you have to switch out. Basically you need to dance in and out of the red beam to achieve two things:

1. Allow Netherspite to take 4-7 buffs of the red beam.
2. Minimize the # of debuffs on yourself while taking the red beam.

This resulted in the warrior tank (who used DPS gear to tank him, lol) and myself jumping in and out of the red beam. It ended up being roughly 20 stacks on either of us per phase, and we would end up coming out of each portal phase at our original HP, which is good. Our first couple attempts, we tried staying in for the full red beam, and we just got killed because our health would drop to about 2k. To avoid confusion, no, we do not alternate taking the red beam each phase, but rather we take turns per phase so we both don't get the Nether Exhaustion debuff.

Overall, a very full fight, and definitely not any kind of gear check. I would rate it as free loot fight once you get the execution down!

Hope that wall of text made sense to someone... lol :D
Kyroro

Postby Nebuchadneza » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:02 pm

A big part of it for us is making sure he stays still while you are swapping the red beam with someone else. The Second "tank" in any phase should pretty much stand on top of the person moving out of the beam. If you are too far back and the beam is on you, Netherspite will relocate to get closer to you and that can mess up the angle of the green and blue beams, and could move them off the people absorbing them.

Once the healing beam hits him it's valuable time lost as people relocate. I'm pretty sure that the blue and green beams are on shorter timers, so people cannot afford to jump in and out of them like we can with the red.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:25 pm

We use 2 tanks for this fight - one for each rotation. The key to the red beam is that it heals you completely every time it stacks. The damage reduction effect that Netherspite gets from it isn't a huge deal either, so what we do is have the tank stand in it until about 20 stacks and then start to dodge side to side, stepping out for a second or two and then hopping back in before the buff wears off completely (and the exhaustion debuff is applied). If you're careful with the timing, it makes keeping the tanks up really trivial, as the tanks can basically heal themselves to full whenever they feel like it just by stepping into the beam and taking another stack or two.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:44 am

We just use 2 people on the red beam, one per phase. By strafing out and in all the time, you'll stay far above 0 HP until the end of the phase, and if you do it right, you can stand in just long enough for the buffs to disappear, then run out, wait a tiny bit, and then run in again. You just have to be careful to run around him, not sidewards, as that moves him and thus moves the other beams.

Occasionally I take the green beam too, when it's not my turn for the red beam, mostly just until another healer comes pick it up.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Romie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:36 am

Lore wrote:We use 2 tanks for this fight - one for each rotation. The key to the red beam is that it heals you completely every time it stacks. The damage reduction effect that Netherspite gets from it isn't a huge deal either, so what we do is have the tank stand in it until about 20 stacks and then start to dodge side to side, stepping out for a second or two and then hopping back in before the buff wears off completely (and the exhaustion debuff is applied). If you're careful with the timing, it makes keeping the tanks up really trivial, as the tanks can basically heal themselves to full whenever they feel like it just by stepping into the beam and taking another stack or two.

We do this too i normally start stafing out around 5 stacks.
Image Image
Romie

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:11 pm

I've always preferred just using a simple 4 tank rotation, since it's more reliable. Depends on your group makeup whether it's possible though.

Remember that the red beam heals you to full every tick, and makes you uncrittable entirely on its own by the time a crit would kill you in plate. I'm not really sure why anyone would ever wear tanking gear on this fight, I just wear healing gear and spam heals on the blue beam while tanking.

As far as I can tell there's no aggro wipe; he doesn't really have an aggro list during the red beams and seems to always target whoever was last on the red beam when he comes out of banish.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Daeren » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 pm

We normally do the 5 stacks in, 5 stacks out.

Can be applied to blue beam as well if your group is hard to heal.
Daeren

Postby khash » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:06 am

this fight is ez mode with 2 tanks and 2 warlocks, the locks can easily keep themselves up for the entire blue beam and just have the tanks trade off between red and green (tank 1 in red and tank 2 in green for 1st portal, then vice versa for 2nd) tanks stay in green the whole time (youll have 0/0 mana quickly but just keep JoW on him and youll be at full very quickly after he banishes) and then play jump rope with the red beam, i pop into it then out right away, let him get about 5 stacks on him, then hop in it until his stacks wear off then repeat for the portal phase. I use a feral druid OT so he didnt have to worry about the mana in the green beam and my mana was back to full with no problems shortly after jumping back in the red beam, HS is pretty much the only spell you need to use for most of the fight after the first 15 seconds, so mana isnt a concern

we also had everyone but the 2 tanks and a healer run away during banish just because some of the dps had low HP, if they run far enough he will target them but not cast his breath, or you can just surround him and dps through it if your healers are quick enough to shield whoever he targets

also it seems that the door in 2.1 does not exist for everyone as the resto shaman in our group could not see it and could still run up the ramp during the encounter (saved a wipe on our first attempt as he ran out and then came back to rez everyone)

definitely a very easy boss once you get the rotation down
khash

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:12 am

We use Rogue/Cats to tank the green beam. This causes their DPS to skyrocket because the Green Beam decreases the cost of their abilities with 0 downside. Because of the lack of aggro in this fight, this allows their DPS to skyrocket. Last Netherspite kill we used only 2 rounds to kill him. I think it works pretty well.
Sabindeus

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Sabindeus wrote:We use Rogue/Cats to tank the green beam. This causes their DPS to skyrocket because the Green Beam decreases the cost of their abilities with 0 downside. Because of the lack of aggro in this fight, this allows their DPS to skyrocket. Last Netherspite kill we used only 2 rounds to kill him. I think it works pretty well.

Really? Cool...

I've had a feral druid or two in there and the green beam actually increases the healing effect of their ILotP aura...they heal themselves for crazy amounts when they crit in the green beam, heh.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Next

Return to Karazhan