Karazhan - Terestian Illhoof

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karazhan - Terestian Illhoof

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

There's so much going on in this fight it's hard to see. He constantly summons little imps, and comes with his own minion. I'm not 100% sure on everything that's going on with the locks adn the sacrifices, I just try to tank it and ignore most everything else since it doesn't affect you and you can't help with either the spawned adds or the sacrifice chains while tanking.

The minion can be offtanked, or you can tank both. We usually have me tank both, and it works out well since the dps warrior is freed up to dps the chains. Try to avoid consecration though, as you'll end up tanking all the little imps, the boss, and the minion which will kill you fast. BoSanc and ret aura help for keeping both the boss and minion on you will avoiding consecration.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Nebuchadneza » Mon May 21, 2007 6:20 pm

There's so much going on in this fight it's hard to see...

You're not kidding!! This fight is a Warlock's wet dream!! Last night our Warlock was so excited with his Seed of Corruption going off that I don't think he wanted the fight to end. Concentration aura makes it easier for the warlock to cast since much of the time he has 10+ summoned imps on him.

I actually stayed full Holy for this fight. It was our first attempt on him (who would have thought we would take down Nightbane before Illhoof!!) and it made a big difference to put at least 2 Holy Light heals on the chained players to give time for DPS to break the chains, and then go back to healing on our warrior. The whole fight seemed relatively straight forward, though hectic, so Rinse/repeat and DS if you get chained yourself. The faster the chains are DPS'd down the better, since they heal Illhoof as long as they remain up.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Jadlene » Mon May 21, 2007 6:49 pm

My tankadin buddy whacks on his spell damage gear and hands the tanking job over to the warrior/druid. He then stands in between the two portals and spams consecrate / holy wrath. Effectively dps tanking all the imps (or as much as possible) The warlock helps him out a bit, but most of the DPS focusses on the boss.

Fire Aura + FR is your friend for this fight if you are gonna do the above :)
Jadlene

heh

Postby Mavrix » Mon May 21, 2007 9:10 pm

I tank illhoof and the small imps all together in half dps/half tank gear. Warrior offtanks the large imp away from the main event. Works well for our group.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 am

It's always interesting reading the different strats folks use. I actually AOE tank as much as I can. We use a lock spamming Seed of Corruption on Illhoof, so he ends up with aggro from most of the imps after a couple of seconds, and they die shortly after that. I'll put my taunt on the lock whenever the CD is up, but it really doesn't do much because the imps generally stick to me for a couple of seconds then the lock for a couple of seconds, then they die.

The lock doesn't really take too much dmg, if you put blessing of Sanctuary and Dampen Magic on him, it's really low, but you will want to make sure he's in a group with Concentration Aura so he can get the seeds off as fast as possbile.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Questioner » Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 am

How much FR do you need if you want to be the imp tank instead of a lock (or just in case :) )
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Lore » Tue May 22, 2007 10:19 am

You won't be able to hold the imps off of the AOE. It's really not necessary, though; they don't do too much damage, it's all spell damage, and the lock should have plenty of hit points.

I'm generally tanking Illhoof, with another tank (usually a druid in DPS gear) picking up the imp pet when it's up. Wait for a shackle, kill the shackle, kill the imp pet, DPS Illhoof, repeat until he's dead. The extra damage he takes while weakened is nice, but not to the point where DPS on him otherwise is unhelpful. We find it to be easiest to just wait for a shackle and kill the imp pet right afterward. Generally speaking the AOE will have DPS'ed the imp pet down to about 50% by that point, and so we just have to finish it off.

It's primarily a healing-intensive fight, as there's a lot of damage flying around, but fairly controllable with a sound strategy.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 am

Lore wrote:You won't be able to hold the imps off of the AOE. It's really not necessary, though; they don't do too much damage, it's all spell damage, and the lock should have plenty of hit points.

Yeah and Blessing of Sanctuary and Dampen Magic can lower it a good bit. I don't wear any FR gear, and I'll have most of the imps for a few seconds (consecrate actually won't reach all of them as they run in) the big imp, and Illhoof. This fight is really a DPS race because of the effects of the Demon Chains. So this method frees up all our DPS to take down the chains. The Lock won't take a ton of dmg, as the imps go down quick, and he's not their initial target when they run in. The only issue I've ever had is when the big imp respawns, and eats a seed of corruption blast right away or a multi shot, I may have to get do a little work to get him back, so I tend to save my taunt during that period so I can snag him back.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Saladin » Thu May 24, 2007 11:54 pm

MT'd on him yesterday.. 2 attempts the only problem seemed to be positioning.. we had 3 melee dps so i had to get right next to the ward so they could easily target chains and go to town on him.. no real problems with aoe .. 1 lock and 1 mage
Saladin

Postby Daeren » Fri May 25, 2007 1:31 am

I think you should be able to tank all of them if you all stand together at where illhoof and kilrek starts off.

Just spam consecration and it will be plenty to kill the imps, have the DPS down kilrek/stun him so yoyu don't get the fire buffet from him. If you do, get all to nuke down the imps asap.

Else, just tank them all, should be pisseasy
Daeren

Postby Dreamcrusher » Fri May 25, 2007 10:43 am

I tanked last night on our guild's first kill.

We had a warrior on Illhoof and I picked up the pet and all the little imps.

I stood directly behind where Illhoof spawns and consecrate was able to get ALL the imps coming out. When there are way too many imps up, just cast Holy Wrath (AW first if necessary) then call for AoE. All of our DPS (mage/warlock included) were on Pet/Chains/Illhoof the whole fight, except for maybe 5 seconds every cycle where they finished off the adds.

Wearing ~400 spell damage and a couple pieces of FR, I think I had 13k buffed hp, which was way more than enough. I had ~150 FR (Aura + Gear) and took very little damage throughout the whole encounter, so someone less geared can easily do it.

The best part is that I was 3rd on the damage meters, largely due to averaging 1k dps on consecrate alone :D
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby Lorath » Sun May 27, 2007 3:57 am

400 spell dmg? ... you wearing cloth or something? :)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Kvaern » Sun May 27, 2007 4:05 am

I'm doing it like friedmarr, grabbing illhoof, big imp and as many small imps as I can. works like a charm.
Kvaern

Postby Kyroro » Mon May 28, 2007 4:31 pm

Did this last night for the first time. I was on Illhoof and the little imps. We had the warrior DPS tank the big imp every time he spawned.

I spammed consecration non-stop the entire fight to keep all the little imps on me. I didn't use ret aura or B. of Sanctuary (needed the tanking goodness from kings). Because the imps don't exactly run to a single location, I had to drag Illhoof back and forth to get all the imps in my consecration. We only had 1 AOE class and that was a mage. All he did that fight was keep a check on the small imp count and DPS the chains.

I ended up being #1 DPS by 25%, lol. The next closest was the mage who was 21%, as he needed to conserve mana. He actually got innervated, haha.

Here's a screenshot for my KTM, which is also funny (bandwidth warning): http://www.theeliteguild.org/screenshot ... 214028.jpg
Kyroro

Postby Torald » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 am

One tip, the imps spawn and run in the direction of group members.
When all group members stand in the green circle, the imps won't spread in the entire room and the aoe tanking paladin hasn't to move. He can stand in the middle richt behind the green circle.

Greetings Torald
Torald - 70 Paladin, Blackmoore
http://ctprofiles.net/3606380
Torald

Next

Return to Karazhan