Paladin tanking in karazhan

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Paladin tanking in karazhan

Postby Tats » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:31 am

While i know most of these strategies are available through tedious searching, with your help, i would like to compile a list of Karazhan Bosses and the strategies you use to kill them. Karazhan can be very intimidating for a newer paladin, and they have a lot of discouragement around every corner.

So please, post your strategies involving the various bosses in karazhan.
Tats

Postby Vanifae » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 am

Step 1: Holy Shield

Step 2: Wait for Cooldown

Step 3: Holy Shield again

Step 4: Repeat steps 1 through 3

Step 5: Get Purples

Step 6: Fuck Nightbane
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Tats » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:44 am

that strategy works for every boss in karazhan

nightbane excluded, of course.

im sure there are some super special techniques to tank some encounters.. no?
Tats

Postby Vanifae » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:49 am

Tats wrote:that strategy works for every boss in karazhan

nightbane excluded, of course.

im sure there are some super special techniques to tank some encounters.. no?

Seriously though the first thing any young paladin needs to know is to keep Holy Shield up at all times on every fight, because it is awesome.

Attumen

Easy fight, once you are uncrushable and have over 10K Hit Points you can double tank him pretty easily for Phase 1. Make sure your healers understand this, and then spam Consecrate to pick up the Huntsman.

Phase 2 is pretty easy, this is the probably the most straight forward fight in the instance, short of Maiden.

Moroes

If you lack priests it is possible to AOE tank several of the mobs. If you have the Shadow priest kill her first you don’t want her mana burning you or the healers. The rest of the adds are pretty manageable though the Protection Warrior can disarm and the paladin mob can do a Hammer of Justice, both can be pretty bad, but not crippling.

Consecrate is huge for this fight if you intend to AoE tank them. Keep Holy Shield up, and it is pretty easy, you can even Cleanse as needed. Once the adds are down, pretty straight forward fight, don’t forget to BoP a healer if they get garroted.

Some people do some Blessing of Sacrifice or Seal of Blood shenanigans to get out of Gouge, either way have an OT for this fight, it will make the kill that much easier.

Maiden

Spam Holy Shield, and all your threat abilities to get through silence, that is about it. Use lay on hands if you get low during Repentance. Once your dispellers are on point this fight is easier then Attumen.

Again spam your abilities.

Curator

This is a DPS, if your DPS can’t keep up with sparks and can’t put out ridiculous damage during Evocate, you will lose. Curator hits slow and not very hard. Tank him, and save your Avenging Wrath for the first evocate, you pop that go nuts, you should never lose threat again. Plus you see big numbers.

Aran

Many protection paladins heal during this fight, pointless. If you had sufficient healing to get here do dps, and put him in the dirt that much faster. This fight is not healer intensive, and the faster he dies the better off you will be. You do carry some DPS gear with you, right? Be good to carry a little bit of that and some healing gear. Healing does not make the fight go faster, damage does.

Not much to tank here.

Netherspite

Stand in the red beam. Dance in and out of it really, this demon hits slow and not very hard. Use exorcism after Banish phase for snap agro, and stand in the red beam when it is your turn. You will need an OT for when you are exhausted.

Prince

Holy Shield, especially during Phase 2, where the bulk of his burst damage is and get familiar with strafe tanking, it makes moving him that much easier without dying. Also cleanse yourself when you get Shadow Word Pain. This fight is gear dependent but not overly hard.

Holy Shield must be up, and use any damage reduction consumables if need be during Phase 2. Phase 3 is easy, and is more less on the shoulders of your DPS to burn him down before you die from bad Infernal placement.

Nightbane

Fear dance, never tanked him to death, but I have a geared Protection Warrior who does it just fine. Possible with a protection paladin, just need more finesse and tricks.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Re: Paladin tanking in karazhan

Postby Mouse » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 am

Tats wrote:While i know most of these strategies are available...

Scan this forum, it doesn't take an unecessary amount of "tedious searching"
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Ills » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 am

Super special?

Tanking Attumen and Midnight together could be considered super special.

Tanking Moroes and one or more of his adds could also be considered such.

Tanking the Lady of Pain (Maiden of Virtue) is definitely Super Special, though more like the "short bus" kind of special. You need to spam your Holy Shield button almost nonstop due to the silences.

Nothing fancy about the opera event, really, unless you feel like tanking Romulo and Julianne together.

Nothing at all special about the Curator.

Shade of Aran, strap on your healing or loldps gear, 'cause you're not needed as a tank.

Tank EVERYTHING for the Illhoof fight. Holy Wrath is a lot of fun there. Be sure to pick up the imp when he respawns during the fight.

Netherspite - nothing special.

Prince Malchazzar - Keep Holy Shield up at all times. Self-dispel the SW:P. In phase 2 you may want to switch your weapon to The Sun Eater or King's Defender to reduce the incoming damage. Switch back to a threat weapon for phase 3.

Nightbane - See Vanifae's comment. You can also try it with Tremor totems or cycling the PvP trinket and your bubble, but that's still unreliable.
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Cames » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:54 am

Just to add comments about Opera:

1 - Big Bad Wolf - Really just figure out which way your guild is going to run, tank him in an appropriate spot and deal with the fear.

2 - Romeo and Juliette - The first 2 phases are snoozers. The third bit we AE'ed last night at the end for humor's sake. Easier with 2 tanks, but she hits like a girl. :)

3 - Oz - Really only need to tank the "active" mob and Tito when he spawns. Strawman should be burning all the time. Tin Man self rusts now (anybody can handle him). Roar gets feared. Dorothy is untankable. The Crone is tank and spank other than staying out of the tornado.

For each of these fights, see Vanifae's post - except do use S/JoR and Consecration (if you are bored).
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Cames

Postby Vanifae » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:58 am

Cames wrote:except do use S/JoR and Consecration (if you are bored).

This is assumed.
Vanifae

Postby DeadMilliken » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Actually...anyone wanna give some advice on Netherspite?

Should two people be switching out per portal phase...or is there some way one person can do each? (*4 people total for both portal rotations or 2)

(*Our prot warrior tried to do one by himself with sheild wall...survived with 2k hp then got melted on banigh phase)

Do you back off during the banish phase or continue dps?

Basically we started doing this to survive better...but I'm not sure there was enough dps during the portal phase to make this possible.

(*We had dead dps every time...so it is hard to track if we would make it if all survived and only dps'd during portal phases)

Our best was 31% (enrage wipe) out of 5 attempts.
DeadMilliken

Postby Vanifae » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:17 pm

If people are dying period on Netherspite you got performance issues.

My raid always moves away to the far side of the room during Banish and just reengages when he comes out, with the tank usually in first by about 4-5 seconds.

Fix people dying, people should not be dying during that fight.

You need the tanks swapping during Portal phase, one does the first one, then another picks up the second.
Vanifae

Postby jere » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:19 pm

DeadMilliken wrote:Actually...anyone wanna give some advice on Netherspite?

Should two people be switching out per portal phase...or is there some way one person can do each? (*4 people total for both portal rotations or 2)

(*Our prot warrior tried to do one by himself with sheild wall...survived with 2k hp then got melted on banigh phase)

Do you back off during the banish phase or continue dps?

Basically we started doing this to survive better...but I'm not sure there was enough dps during the portal phase to make this possible.

(*We had dead dps every time...so it is hard to track if we would make it if all survived and only dps'd during portal phases)

Our best was 31% (enrage wipe) out of 5 attempts.

#1: One person per beam on each non-banish phase (2 people total for each beam since they alternate on phases). Put a warlock in the blue if you can, as he/she can self heal a lot. Put a rogue or dps warrior in the green beam (you don't need a healer to stand in it), as this takes the mana draining pressure off of the healers. Have the tank of the red beam do a "beam dance". Have them periodically step out of the beam so the debuff takes longer to stack. I usually end a phase with 14-15k hp's by beam dancing. You can leave the red beam temporarily and won't get the nasty debuff for leaving as long as you jump right back in. I do a "5 stacks on me" ... "3 stacks on netherspite" type rotation and that works well for me.

#2: Our guild found it easier to have everyone simply stop DPS and run away during the banish phase. Have everyone bandage themselves after they distance themselves away from netherspite. The only exception to this is the "last" banish phase before he enrages. We go all out dps on him during that one if we get that far.
jere

Postby Tats » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 am

what about the wurms pre-curator and other magic immune mobs?
Tats

Postby Vanifae » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 am

Tats wrote:what about the wurms pre-curator and other magic immune mobs?

Seal of Blood and Melee DPS not much tanking involved there.
Vanifae

Postby adese » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:57 am

They go down very quickly, and don't hit very hard, so even if you can't tank them it isn't a huge deal. In fact, I've been with warriors who have issues holding aggro (I think that is just how the wurms are), so it's not like we are doing much worse than a warrior there.
adese

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:19 am

Let your offtank handle the big guy. Cleanse the mana drain, which apparently causes a lot of threat and keeps them off your magic dps for faster clears. Each pack takes us about 15 seconds to kill.

Also Fuck Nightbane. We've spent one day practicing him; tonight hopefully we'll put him in the ground with the help of the PVP trinket and Bubble macro and a shaman or two.

WTB fucking fear ward. If I have to pull out my warrior for this I'm going to be pissed.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Karazhan