Remove Advertisements

Karazhan - Midnight & Attunmen

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karazhan - Midnight & Attunmen

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:10 pm

This fight is pretty simple. Midnight is pulled, and when he gets to 95% his master Attunmen will spawn. You then have to either get Midnight or Attunmen to 25% at which time they will merge up and become one boss with full HP and complete aggro wipe.

For paladins, you can tank either for phase 1, but will likely need an offtank with you. I haven't noticed a big difference between the two. During one fight our OT druid died and I tanked both. Unfortunatly we wiped anyway because we lost all dps when the OT died and I couldn't get it back ( they were dpsing down the OT target ). It probably would have been ok if that had not happened and I could have gotten agro back faster, as I stayed up for about 1 min with only one healer.

For phase 2, a paladin will have a much easier time snapping up agro when they merge and reset agro. When the dps target is getting close to 25% in phase one, save up an exorcism. When they merge, hit it with exo and you will have full agro guaranteed. Follow up with the standard routine, tank and spank.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Which one's easier to take down to 25% - the man or the horse? Are they equally susceptible to melee/magic?
Arcand

Postby Aergis » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:03 pm

We do the horse first, I'm not sure on the reason why, but could simly be because the horse is at 95% before attunmen spawns. This plus threat has already been established on the horse by the time that 5% is down it makes sense to keep going on the horse rather than wait a few extra seconds for dps to open on attunmen.

It is somtimes said ( but unconfirmed ) that attunmen hits harder as his horse takes more damage, but I haven't noticed that. If it is true, it's not much of a difference.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Catarine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 am

I will be raiding (most nights) with a protection warrior. We are similarly geared (TBC blues), but he has more raid-tanking experience from pre-TBC. Should we have him tank mounted-Attumen or should I? I suspect I will be on Midnight for Phase 1 since I cannot disarm Attumen.
Catarine

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:31 pm

My suggested scheme would be...

You pull and tank Midnight. Because of your cool frontloaded threat, the raid can lay into him right away.

Warrior picks up Attumen because heavy threat on him isn't necessary.

When Attumen mounts up, warrior takes him because the ranged folks take a beating from the periodic intercepts. Run SoW/JoW and heal those who get charged, so the healers can focus on the warrior.

(This also means the warrior's always in a position to spam Disarm on Attumen, which I've heard makes a real difference.)
Arcand

Postby Catarine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:42 pm

Cool. That's what my impression was, but wasn't certain how significant being able to more easily get his aggro as he mounts up was.
Catarine

Postby Aergis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 pm

You can do that, if you'd like. Be ready with exorcism though, as the warrior may lose agro on the mounted attunmen in the first few seconds to even a HoT...

If you see the mounted huntsman leave the warrior even in the slightest in the first second or two, exorcism and go tank.

Also, if your raid is positioned correctly, he will never charge. And honestly, disarming him is not that valuable, as I've tanked him every time and never had an issue.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lore » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:15 pm

So long as the warrior has shield slam and isn't retarded he should be able to pick it up with no problems.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Catarine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:30 pm

He's quite good (he maintanked our first Jin'do kill from a hospital bed!) and does have shield slam.

One more question: I have read that his charge targets the closest target out of melee range (like Jeklik) or furthest (like Mandokir). Which is it, or is it random?
Catarine

Postby Aergis » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Not sure, but simple solution is have no one outside of melee range. Position everyone behind him close enough that he cannot charge.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Hmm, looks like we have adjusting to do. We've been taking 8-10 charges on every kill and just healing through it. :)
Arcand

Postby Semirhage » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Hmm, I think I'm geared for KZ, but I have doubt with my warrior buddy who will OT as 35 Arms/ 23 Fury / 3 Prot.

We have not tried KZ yet, and will this week.

Should I MT the horse, and steal agro from the warrior on Attument, and tank the rest when they mount?

To steal, I think I can save and front load AW + AS + RD, JoR and max Consecrate and max Holy Shield with BoSanc on?

I will also assume that a holy paladin will heal the OT. If I BoP the OT, and the holy pally self shielded, I should be get the threat. Sound iffy?
Semirhage

Postby Tybalt » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:54 pm

You won't need to steal aggro from anyone. Have your warrior OT Attumen while everyone else is focused on Midnight. When Midnight reaches about 25% hp, they will merge, aggro dump, and start over at 100% health. At this point, a simple exorcism + JoR will lock you down on his threat table.

Really, this is a perfect encounter for a paladin tank.

- Ty
Tybalt

Postby Everlight » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:06 pm

When we do it, we have our Druid tank Midnight while I take Attumen the whole time - until the end.

The reasoning is that we don't have a tanking warrior, so Disarm isn't really an option, and I can easily shoot Attumen in the face when he spawns and glue him to me. Same thing applies when he does his Voltron merge.
Everlight

Postby Semirhage » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:05 pm

First attempt, first kill, woot!

I tanked Attumen and when he merged last night.

My warrior buddy first tanked midnight, and I grabbed Attument.

The raid stayed on midnight.

On the merge, I unloaded and tanked it.

It was easy because I was ready in pre-KZ gear, uncrushable with 14.5k hp raid buffed. Kings, Priest Fort, Druid Motw, and Flask of Fort.
Semirhage

Return to Karazhan