Illhoof tactics with a Tankadin?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Illhoof tactics with a Tankadin?

Postby zor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:33 pm

I am in a lower end guild, and we are currently fielding 3 separate kara groups. While there are a few who have Kara + experience, as a whole, Kara is still hard/new content for us (we do not out gear the instance).

That being said, I am leading the Kara 2 group, and acting as the main tank on my Paladin (current stats provided in my sig). We hit Illhoof for the first time ever this weekend, and I think we did decent on him overall. Third attempt we brought him down to 23% (felt more like luck rather than skill) and then on the fourth attempt, we brought him down to 40%ish but it felt like it was more due to skill (we were trying to time the death of the imp, rather than just burning it down when it spawned).

The plan we used was as follows:
I run in and start building aggro on Illhoof, and dropping max rank consecrate as often as possible, while keeping up Holy Shield and SoR (Fire Resistance Aura also was up the entire fight). The Consecrate picks up all the imp adds as they spawn (since the tend to move towards the circle) and then we had our two Warlocks go nuts with Seed of Corruption on Illhoof. This kept the imp population down, while they all aggroed on me (due to max rank consecrates). From that point on, DPS would target the chains when someone was sacrificed, and our Warrior tank was picking up Terestian whenever he would spawn (so DPS could mow him down without fear of aggro).

I am wondering if there is anything I can be doing more efficiently as the tank for that fight? The healers (2 Holy Paladins, and 1 Holy Priest) reported that no one other than me took any real damage from Illhoof or the imps, so I assume that aggro is not an issue.

I know we still need to work on better timing for killing the chains/healing the sacrifice, but aside form that, any other recommendations?

P.S. Used the search feature and saw a strategy than someone else posted about having a single lock spam hellfire between the portals to pick up all the imps. We might give that a try this next run to see if it works any better.
Last edited by zor on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zor

tank it all, let the DPS sort em out

Postby Bendekar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:44 pm

Your strat is the same strat we used when learning Karazhan.

It works like a charm! Generally I just hold aggro on everything in the room, and when the imps start to pile up I call for an AoE clear by the mages, or if we have warlock(s) then Seed of Corruption like you described works great. If DPS needs the help then a feral/rogue/DPSwar will work Kil'rek down for the periodic vulnerability boosts on the boss.

One night another tankadin in my guild was using the same strat and aggroed Illhoof as well as the trash pull just before him, they took him down, it was crazy fun to watch!

Last week we took a group to Kara with no casters, so myself and two holy paladins Consecrated all the imps to death while a Holy priest main-healed the fight. Granted, by this point we vastly outgear the instance, but it was still fun 8)
----------------------------------------------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
--Louis Pasteur
Bendekar

Postby Vanifae » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:49 pm

Looks like a sound strategy to me.

That fight is a massive DPS dump, just burn him down and destroy the chains, and don't fall behind.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Aessina » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:58 pm

It's not long ago that we killed Illhoof for the first time. What we found worked for us was to completely ignore the imp. I basically run in and grab aggro on both illhoof and the imp. Everyone with the exception of hunters run into the circle of candles, that way everyone will be in range of consecrate and seed in case they get aggro from something. All dps (including myself) go for chains the second they spawn, otherwise all dps is on illhoof. The imp will generally die once during the fight and we'll get a bit of a boost to our dps for a while, but we found that ignoring the imp simplified the fight a great deal. We went from having Illhoof at 2% when he enraged at 10 mins to downing him in 4-5 minutes.
Aessina

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Don't focus fire on the big imp, allow your AoEs and those seeds to kill him. If you have 2 locks seed spamming, you are going to be killing him pretty fast and imps won't be an issue. I'm pretty sure he's tauntable so between that and exorcism you should be able to get him back on you after he respawns. That frees up your warrior to DPS which is critical in this fight.

Your strategy is fine, so it sounds like execution may be an issue. Killing the demon chains fast is probably the most important thing in this fight. He gets healed by the dmg done to whoever is sacrficed and losing a DPSer makes killing them that much harder the next time. I would have at least one of the locks focus firing on the demon chains while the other is still seeding. We also found that having everyone make a /target Demon macro works well.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Aergis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:05 pm

Depending on your gear and HP, you could tank illhoof, kilrek, and all the imps, allowing for an extra dps on illhoof / chains.

That's the way I do it now, same as you, but I keep kilrek on me as well. Though our dps sticks to aoe for killing kilrek, single target dps stays on illhoof himself and only switches for chains.

Though if you have a second tank already in group, your way is fine.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Mahale » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:25 pm

I hate illhoof just cause he drops absolute crap :p

But yeah tanking everything is the way I do it too.
Mahale

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm

Mahale wrote:I hate illhoof just cause he drops absolute crap :p

But yeah tanking everything is the way I do it too.

The cloak is pretty decent, with an armor enchant on it, it works pretty good. It annoys me because that thing used to be horrible so we DE'd it, but now it's pretty decent and hasn't dropped once since the change. Granted the blue cloak from regular Mechanar has more armor and stam, but the extra defense on the illhoof cloak is nice too.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Everlight » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:37 pm

When AOE tanking the whole set, do you bother with any FR gear, or just go full mitigation and rely on the aura?
Everlight

Postby Nebuchadneza » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:34 pm

The last few times I have done this fight, I have deliberately Offtanked everything and left Terestian to a Warrior or Druid. The reason for it is Holy Wrath with Concentration Aura. If you have 10, 20, etc imps up for whatever reason, Holy Wrath will hit everything in the entire room at once. You are guaranteed heals at this point :twisted: (since it's a pretty safe bet they are all casting at you now) which in turn brings mana to keep on Consecrating, and tanking the Big Imp at the same time is just an added bonus. You all know how much Holy Wrath hits for and the threat it produces. Taunting occasionally picks up stragglers, and it minimises the targets that require healing.

We have done this fight without a Warlock exactly this way, and it worked a charm. Face it. Holy Wrath isnt a spell you would be able to cast mid-fight on any boss, and with that many targets on the screen at once, how can you resist? The only risk I could think of was what happens if I get shackled multiple times? It hasn't happened more than once thankfully though. Fun fight, very fun!! Try it :D
Nebuchadneza

Postby Rhaenys » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 am

Fridmarr wrote:Your strategy is fine, so it sounds like execution may be an issue. Killing the demon chains fast is probably the most important thing in this fight. He gets healed by the dmg done to whoever is sacrficed and losing a DPSer makes killing them that much harder the next time. I would have at least one of the locks focus firing on the demon chains while the other is still seeding. We also found that having everyone make a /target Demon macro works well.

QFT. We have our MT Prot war go DPS for this fight, as having only one tank to heal is big. This fight can be a strain sometimes on the healers, especially if the chains are not goin down fast enough. We also aoe during the sac to kill the imps as well.

Also, as mentioned, ignore the big imp, consecration will usually pick him up. I have a /tar kil macro so i can pick him up if someone says he loose.

I also worry more about having consecration up than HS, to pick up all the imps, as Illhoof hits pretty weak. And when i see the fire debuff from the big imp up, i call for aoe, as i can steadily see my life goin down faster.
Rhaenys

Postby jere » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:21 am

It also helps if your DPS and healers make macros to help dps the chains quicker or heal the chain target faster.

The dps use something like:

/target Demonic Chains
/cast Some Ability

I am not totally sure for healing, but I would guess:

/target Demonic Chains
/cast [target=targettarget] Some Heal

would work for healers, but I would have to test it.
jere

Postby Nimanth » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:42 am

This is how my guild did it, with me tanking (No off tank), 2 locks, 2 healers ( Holy Pallies), and misc DPS classes.

I ran in and dropped a max rank Consecrate.

Picked up Illhoof and his Imp.

As the consecrate fell, I ran to just behind the sacrifice point and dropped a max Consecrate (At this point, Illhoof and all adds have been seeded).

We kept the adds to a minimum while waiting for Illhoof to sacrafice someone (His Imp was at 10% and quickly dropping due to the Seeding).

Burned the chains down from teh seeds bursting and just general DPS.

I am sure it was a lot of timing on teh Locks, but it worked out great. A Off tank only takes DPS away from the encounter, and healing from you and the sacraficed target. I would suggest not using a OT, and let you take the brunt of everything. While it means, a lot of running around for you (picking up the run away adds). Hope that helps!
ImageNimanth ~ Argent Dawn
Nimanth

Postby Mortehl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 am

As an FYI -- We kill the big imp whenever its up during our alt night. Cuts about a minute and a half off the fight.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby adese » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:11 am

Mortehl wrote:As an FYI -- We kill the big imp whenever its up during our alt night. Cuts about a minute and a half off the fight.

That is what we do, as well. Sometimes we get bad timing (imp goes down, someone gets sacrificed immediately after), but in general we don't have any problems with this approach. Plus this means less time with the +fire damage taken debuff up, which is a good thing for your healers.
adese

Next

Return to Karazhan