Remove Advertisements

Help me tank Nightbane please

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Help me tank Nightbane please

Postby kyungjae » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:08 am

OK, so I've pretty much tanked all the bosses in Kara but Maiden and Nightbane.

I had my first shot at Nightbane on Wednesday night and I was rocked. It felt like I was wearing cloth. Each time I got hit, it's like half my HP was gone. Then of course the fear came. Then I somehow managed to be tanking in charred earth.

What did I do wrong? This is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... r&n=Djoser

Thanks in advance for any help.
kyungjae

Postby Ryyu » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Hmm, First question, but are you uncrushible? becuse i cant think of any reason why NB would hit you that hard. Secondly you getting CE iirc is you melee fail.
Ryyu

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:36 pm

he's uncrushable as long as HS is up - How do you go on Prince? I ask cos I tank him with 12k unbuffed, and am a bit worried about nightbane now :S
Sarutankah

Postby rabbel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:05 am

You don't "manage" tanking into charred earth. If you are standing in it the melee were too close, and you can't do anything about it. Tell your healers that you have CE, so they know that they have to pump out a bit more healing, but don't move him.

Nightbane is one of the two major hard hitters in Karazhan (the other one being Prince), if you want to tank him try to stack avoidance / hp while remaining uncrushable, and throw in everything you have. Flask of Fortification, scrolls if you are missing important buffs (i.e. Power Word: Fortitude), Ironshield Potions, Nightmare Seeds, everything. Holy Shield always has highest priority because he can crush quite high.

As for the fear: Try to take a shaman or two priests with you. Tremor Totem is great, but a bit unreliable. Two priests are usually enough to always have a fear ward up. He doesn't use his fear very often, so you should be fine. In case of emergency use Divine Shield and immediately cancel it.
rabbel

Postby sightt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:18 pm

Ok I hope i am not thread jacking but a question about tanking nightbane.
First off here is my armory

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Confidential

Now i have tanked nightbane before and i have also just tanked during the air phase. We run with a Spriest and holy priest who rotate fear wards. the ground phase is the easy part but where ppl are dying is the air phase. We have everybody stack on one player and I lay down a max rank concencrate, but during every air phase either the holy priest dies or a warlock. trying to one heal it is not so easy so the druid OT usually goes in healing gear to help out and SS is always on the Hpriest but they use it and a Brez and then examine the tile work after the 3rd air phase.
Is this because I am doing something wrong or are they. I can`t do much more to try and keep all the adds on me and hate to pop wings on an air phase as i try to use wings and my trinket for when he lands.

thanks for any advice
sightt

Postby Mordinm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 pm

The rain of bones doesn't move anymore so there's really no reason for people not to move out of it. Group up when he takes off. After the rain of bones starts have your healers and ranged move out of it to avoid push back. Dispel his DoT. The skellies are rarely what kills anyone. Nightbane himself is still putting out damage during the air phase.
Mordinm

Postby gudea » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 am

Well, we do this:

healer on left, helaer on right of skull, at distance (in case of spitting on 1 healer area, the other continue to heal and needs not to move).

during air phase, they just run exactly over you. You spam consecration max rank far before they even drop, and aoe party finish them off very quick this way.

An interesting tip. while NB is flying back after spitting, you can hit him mid-air with AS. This is especially useful as you prevent a wipe if someone accidentally cast a spell and gets 1st on aggro table before you.

For hitting hard -check if you were on a spitted area. Sometime can happen.
gudea

Postby Argali » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 am

If you have no problems tanking prince, you should have no trouble tanking nightbane, except for fears.
Argali

Postby blitzwing » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 am

I found NB pretty easy, I just stack up about 55% aviodance and he didnt hit me that hard at all. onlyhad my health dip once the whole fight.
blitzwing

Postby Invisusira » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:12 am

kyungjae:

# Defense: 392
# Dodge: 5.61%
# Parry: 11.68%
# Block: 10.74%

That would be your problem. Tanking him with those kind of stats means you're critable and crushable, and will wilt like paper in a flame. To tank Nightbane (and, indeed, ANY boss after him), you need 490 defense (right now it's 392) and your Dodge + Parry + Block % needs to be at least 58 (right now it's about 28 ).

Quit focusing on spell damage gear and get some TANKING gear. Your weapon is all the +dmg you need in kara. Right now you're using more spell damage than I use to tank Hyjal and Black Temple!
Invisusira

Postby wesintex » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:05 am

Invisusira wrote:kyungjae:

# Defense: 392
# Dodge: 5.61%
# Parry: 11.68%
# Block: 10.74%

That would be your problem. Tanking him with those kind of stats means you're critable and crushable, and will wilt like paper in a flame. To tank Nightbane (and, indeed, ANY boss after him), you need 490 defense (right now it's 392) and your Dodge + Parry + Block % needs to be at least 58 (right now it's about 28 ).

Quit focusing on spell damage gear and get some TANKING gear. Your weapon is all the +dmg you need in kara. Right now you're using more spell damage than I use to tank Hyjal and Black Temple!

You speak the truth, listen to this person
wesintex

Postby Argali » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:34 am

So he lied when he said he'd tanked everything except NB and Maiden aka Prince.
Argali

Postby Invisusira » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:09 am

The other bosses don't hit that hard, I don't think I was uncrushable until we got to Prince. Prince and Nightbane and then any 25 man boss you NEED to be uncr/uncr, but before then you can kinda work on it as you go.

However, original poster obviously doesn't know that they need to do this, as they're just stacking spell damage gear.
Invisusira

Postby athom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Actually i wtb those healers that kept him/her alive through whole Kara...

Ofc if half of the raid arent healers. ^^
athom

Postby Marker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 am

gudea wrote:Well, we do this:

healer on left, helaer on right of skull, at distance (in case of spitting on 1 healer area, the other continue to heal and needs not to move).

during air phase, they just run exactly over you. You spam consecration max rank far before they even drop, and aoe party finish them off very quick this way.

An interesting tip. while NB is flying back after spitting, you can hit him mid-air with AS. This is especially useful as you prevent a wipe if someone accidentally cast a spell and gets 1st on aggro table before you.

For hitting hard -check if you were on a spitted area. Sometime can happen.

I thought the aggro reset was just when he landed? is that wrong?
Marker

Next

Return to Karazhan