Remove Advertisements

24 hours before I OT Kara...I'm gonna die.

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

24 hours before I OT Kara...I'm gonna die.

Postby Kizzer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 am

Overview: Three days ago, back when I was lvl 67, my friend asked me to OT Kara for his new guild on Tuesday. We powereleveled me up and I dinged 70 last night. After tonight's massive all-nighter gear run (basically replacing helm, chest, gloves, pants, and a ring), I should be in decent shape to OT, at least gear-wise.

My question is basically this: what exactly is my job during boss fights? I've been under these assumptions:

Attumen: Tank Midnight
Moroes: build secondary aggro on Moroes, use BoSac and BoP (how exactly does BoSac work during the fight, anyway? I never understood it)
Maiden: heal, decurse Holy Fire
Opera: sob quietly if we get anything other than BBW
Curator: build secondary aggro to soak Arcane Bolts
Shade: throw on the heals again, possibly keep an elemental busy
Illhoof: Tank Kil'rek, throw up Fire Resist Aura?
Netherspite: trade red beams with MT, avoid taking the green beam if at all possible
Nightbane: ??????????
Prince: heal

Is that pretty much my job as a pally OT? And what specifics and tips do I need here? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm also respeccing tonight.
Kizzer

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:48 am

Blessing of Sacrifice will transfer some damage over to you from whoever you cast it on (generally someone who's garroted).
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Aeran » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:59 am

they're letting you go in at 66? wow, thats kinda awesome. you'll get a head start on badges so when you hit 70 it will be epic city
Aeran

Postby Jobalq » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Aeran wrote:they're letting you go in at 66? wow, thats kinda awesome. you'll get a head start on badges so when you hit 70 it will be epic city

he said:
"I was lvl 67, my friend asked me to OT Kara for his new guild on Tuesday. We powereleveled me up and I dinged 70 last night After tonight's massive all-nighter gear run (basically replacing helm, chest, gloves, pants, and a ring), I should be in decent shape to OT, at least gear-wise. "

:-D
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Precio » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Moroes: build secondary aggro on Moroes, use BoSac and BoP (how exactly does BoSac work during the fight, anyway? I never understood it)
Maiden: heal, decurse Holy Fire, BoSac tank so you can heal during the big stun.
Opera: Tank Tito, Tank julianne if u have the interupts in the raid, if not have warrior tank julianne.
Illhoof: Tank Kil'rek, throw up Fire Resist Aura? OR Get the gear and tank it all.
Netherspite: trade red beams with MT, avoid taking the green beam if at all possible
Nightbane: Attack boss & Tank adds on air phase.
Prince: heal and dispel the shadowword pain
12/14 Ulduar10 - 8/14 Ulduar25
Precio

Re: 24 hours before I OT Kara...I'm gonna die.

Postby cap_x » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Kizzer wrote:Overview: Three days ago, back when I was lvl 67, my friend asked me to OT Kara for his new guild on Tuesday. We powereleveled me up and I dinged 70 last night. After tonight's massive all-nighter gear run (basically replacing helm, chest, gloves, pants, and a ring), I should be in decent shape to OT, at least gear-wise.

My question is basically this: what exactly is my job during boss fights? I've been under these assumptions:

Maiden: heal, decurse Holy Fire
Opera: sob quietly if we get anything other than BBW
Illhoof: Tank Kil'rek, throw up Fire Resist Aura?
Nightbane: ??????????
Prince: heal

Is that pretty much my job as a pally OT? And what specifics and tips do I need here? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm also respeccing tonight.

You’ve got a good idea of what you’ll be doing on most fights. Depending on how experienced/geared the rest of the raid is will determine how far you get though.

Attumen: Midnight doesn’t hit hard at all
Morose: second on the aggro and yeah BoS and BoP if needed
Maiden: make sure you keep BoS Rank 1 on melee DPS/tank to avoid stun and be quick on the dispels
Opera: you should be ok with OZ (kite tin man?), BBW. R&J would be a intresting one though
Curator: might struggle here
Shade: dispel the ‘hamstring’ debuff he throws out before arcane explosion where possible and make sure pot/stone isn’t on cooldown so you can use after poly
Ilhoof: Fire resist aura is a must. Depending on how geared the MT is you might be ok to let him tank Kil’rek too.
Netherspite: swap the beams
Nightbane: no need for a second tank. Maybe pick up skeletons during flight but let the RL decide
Prince: heal and dispel

One bit of advise would be to watch the positioning on the bosses and how the pull works so you learn how its done. When I’m tanking new content I find this to be one of the most challenging parts. Pay attention to Ilhoof, Prince and Nightbane especially as the positioning of these 3 can be the difference between purples and a corpse run.
cap_x

Postby Stilgarr » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:06 am

Onl one I'd change is the Curator, tbh your probably better off switching to healing gear there too.

On the evocation the DPS will pass you so fast you'll have no hope staying 2nd.

Ideally let a SP or even a 'lock do it and heal them. If they are kitted in tailoring kit your going to find it very very hard to keep up for long with aggro.
Stilgarr

Postby Kizzer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:30 am

Stilgarr wrote:Onl one I'd change is the Curator, tbh your probably better off switching to healing gear there too.

Ideally let a SP or even a 'lock do it and heal them. If they are kitted in tailoring kit your going to find it very very hard to keep up for long with aggro.

Yeah, I sorta figured this. I suppose that even with saving wings until the first Evo (the guys I run with usually get him to 15% in two Evocates) wouldn't save me from getting wrecked on the threat meter. We'll have to see how it goes, I guess.
Kizzer

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:49 am

Stilgarr wrote:Onl one I'd change is the Curator, tbh your probably better off switching to healing gear there too.

Wrong
On evocation the dps will pass the warrior so fast. That's why he has all that time to build up threat ;)

Evocation means more damage. Paladins have the boon of getting full threat benefit from damage increases: DPS Won't catch up your normal threat cycle on evocation. It's what makes paladins OP for RoS in bt =)
I've actually stolen aggro from warriors before that way. Evocation + avenging wrath = LOLCAUGHTUP!
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Stilgarr » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:19 am

Snake-Aes wrote:

Wrong
On evocation the dps will pass the warrior so fast. That's why he has all that time to build up threat ;)

Evocation means more damage. Paladins have the boon of getting full threat benefit from damage increases: DPS Won't catch up your normal threat cycle on evocation. It's what makes paladins OP for RoS in bt =)
I've actually stolen aggro from warriors before that way. Evocation + avenging wrath = LOLCAUGHTUP!

I managed to piss easily pass any tank when our guild first started Curator.

Remember, back in early TBC clothies were wearing T5 level kit while most of the other classes got the shaft gear wise.
If I remember rightly a had 3 parts of FSW and the Spellstrike set ready the day I hit 70.
If it's a progression run the OP is talking about (which with him saying new guild I'll guess yes) then the MT may not have a full badge set ect yet.
Plus like the OP says he only just hit 70, and unless he has been paying some 10 year old kids to run heroics on his chars 24/7 a SP can and probably will pass him.

You put a SP on Curator maninly due to VT and VE being shit on the adds, the added bouns is he becomes the self healing bolt soaker by default.

Personally I do think he is safer letting the MT hold it and the SP soak it.

I know where your coming from Snake but a pretty much fresh 70 Vs a T5 kitted SP will have a hard time no matter hoe go Pallys are.

Always worth the challenge of trying though ;) and no way would I switch back to SP from this bloke either :)
Stilgarr

Postby Colette » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 am

Ideally, shadow priests should stay on Curator the whole time, since targeting the flares is a waste of mana and won't regen any health or mana for the party.

It doesn't really matter what kind of armor the person taking hateful bolts is wearing, since it's all arcane damage anyways. Generally, when I'm in Kara on my shadowpriest just put on my pvp gear and take them. Even with nerfed damage, I'm usually threat capped before evocation anyways.
Colette

Postby Shirak » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:54 am

Well... how did it go?
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:19 am

Stilgarr wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:

Wrong

I managed to piss easily pass any tank when our guild first started Curator.

Remember, back in early TBC clothies were wearing T5 level kit while most of the other classes got the shaft gear wise.
If I remember rightly a had 3 parts of FSW and the Spellstrike set ready the day I hit 70.
If it's a progression run the OP is talking about (which with him saying new guild I'll guess yes) then the MT may not have a full badge set ect yet.
Plus like the OP says he only just hit 70, and unless he has been paying some 10 year old kids to run heroics on his chars 24/7 a SP can and probably will pass him.

You put a SP on Curator maninly due to VT and VE being shit on the adds, the added bouns is he becomes the self healing bolt soaker by default.

Personally I do think he is safer letting the MT hold it and the SP soak it.

I know where your coming from Snake but a pretty much fresh 70 Vs a T5 kitted SP will have a hard time no matter hoe go Pallys are.

Always worth the challenge of trying though ;) and no way would I switch back to SP from this bloke either :)
I told that difference based on class alone. It's obvious overgeared people will overdo any tank regardless of evocation O.o
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ghort » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:51 am

Precio wrote:Attumen: Tank Midnight
Maiden: heal, decurse Holy Fire, BoSac tank so you can heal during the big stun.
Opera: Tank Tito, Tank julianne if u have the interupts in the raid, if not have warrior tank julianne.
Illhoof: Tank Kil'rek, throw up Fire Resist Aura? OR Get the gear and tank it all.
Nightbane: Attack boss & Tank adds on air phase.
Prince: heal and dispel the shadowword pain

Never used BoSanc when I was offtanking him... now when I'm MT, which is what I do now, I BoSanc the offtank if i have one, or whoever is assigned to be second threat with me. Easy macro for it also -

/target OT
/cast Blessing of Sacrifice(Rank 1)
/target moroes

Test it before you do it, cant remember exactly what it is atm for the second line. Basically the same macro to use on the maiden fight, except it would be

/target MT
/cast Blessing of Sacrifice(Rank 1)

It'll use the cool down of BoSac with your macro, so no worries about button smashing error messages

On the Opera event, the only one i dislike tanking is BBW accually. Everything is is cake - You can take Romulo or Juliet (no sleep makes my spelling go downhill fast), have the advantage on Romulo IMO due to you can cleanse his poison debuff and warrior has spell inturrupts on Juliet, tho you can swap with someone over there to do the inturrupts for ya.

On Illhoof, with him positioned with the MT near the green sacrifice circle, grab his little lvl 70 elite buddy and position yourself behind him, to where you can drop consecrate inbetween the two portals he opens up. I personally keep consecrate laid down there to keep the imps off of the AoE as long as possible.... and with all of them hitting me, I get better mana back than just tanking the elite. I did that with somewhere between 13-14k health buffed with kings/fort. With same gear since nothing i wanted dropped for the first 2 months of kara/gruul/mag, I accidently ended up tanking for Attumen and Midnight... MT couldnt pull him off of me :)

But good luck tonight, have fun, and let us know how it goes
80 Paladin (Prot) - Azual
80 Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Madarab
80 Mage (Arcane/Frost pvp) Arlensul
80 DK (Blood Tank) Deadkitten
80 Priest (holy/disc) - Ghort
5/12 ICC 10

Runetotem Server, Fifth Column
Ghort

Postby Shirak » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:10 am

Maybe he got whooped to the point his internet gave up on him?

Tell us how it went!
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Next

Return to Karazhan