Nightbane...

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Daromire » Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 am

one question and its probably dumb, but DS won't drop your aggro as long as your still ontop of threat right?
Daromire
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 am

You are temporarily removed from the aggro list while DS is up, you'll be restored to your original threat when it wears off.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby khash » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:41 am

tanking nightbane tonight for my guild's first run at him, any other tips/tricks? ive got two resto shamans in my group that ill have with me for tremor totems. My warrior OT isnt geared enough to throw at nightbane and ive got qualms about his skill at stance dancing so its pretty much me or bust lol.

good place to tank him?
things to have the OT do?
best way to handle adds during air phase? (aoe vice FF)
what to do before/during/after the fear?
khash

Postby Kyroro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 am

I got my shot to tank Nightbane today (don't usually have to, we have a prot warrior with more HP which is more friendly for average healers). It went fine, although I do think I'm overgeared for it now. Still had to take stoneshields every once in awhile to lessen damage taken.

During the air phase I just consecrated and we had a druid go bear and swipe the adds as well. No one even got aggro from the skeletons.

Had to take 2 attempts to figure out positioning and how to move him after he landed, but got him without too many problems.

Before he lands, make sure you have him targeted so you can see where he's landing. It's not exactly guaranteed that you'll get him to come to you. Make sure your raid is really far away as well, and that the healers know when you're going to readjust him. Call out a fear when he casts one so your dwarf priest knows he has to reapply fear ward.
Kyroro

Postby khash » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:07 pm

im a BE, so no fear ward for me, gonna have to hope and pray with double tremor totems
khash

Postby Strom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:08 pm

khash wrote:tanking nightbane tonight for my guild's first run at him, any other tips/tricks? ive got two resto shamans in my group that ill have with me for tremor totems. My warrior OT isnt geared enough to throw at nightbane and ive got qualms about his skill at stance dancing so its pretty much me or bust lol.

good place to tank him?

I am curious to find out how the 2 tremor totems work out for you. My guild does not have a good enough prot warrior to tank him, so it will be up to me. We have 2 shamans that can be in my group, but no fear warders (yet). So I hope you have good news :P
Strom

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Strom wrote:
khash wrote:tanking nightbane tonight for my guild's first run at him, any other tips/tricks? ive got two resto shamans in my group that ill have with me for tremor totems. My warrior OT isnt geared enough to throw at nightbane and ive got qualms about his skill at stance dancing so its pretty much me or bust lol.

good place to tank him?

I am curious to find out how the 2 tremor totems work out for you. My guild does not have a good enough prot warrior to tank him, so it will be up to me. We have 2 shamans that can be in my group, but no fear warders (yet). So I hope you have good news :P

I have a similar situation... problem is getting both our shaman to log on for the same raid :x
Sabindeus

Postby khash » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 pm

ive got 2 guild shamans in group 2 (my kara group) and also a nonguildie buddy that is usually on if i need him so I shouldnt have a problem getting 2 of the 3 in the raid (one of the guild shamans has been pissy lately) so ill let you all know how it goes, thats really the only part of the fight im worried about. I'm not expecting too much spike damage as my average avoidance on prince last night was around 70% (dodge/miss/parry) with one fight averaging to 74% avoidance (all remainder was blocked) so he rarely hit me more than once at a time even with thrash so not worried about heals, just people dying during fear, wish me luck
khash

Postby khash » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm

ok, so unfortunately we didnt kill him but the fear wasnt the issue, here are my lessons from this evening for other tankadins, im sure ill get him soon:

1. tremor totems are useless, maybe once did they pop me out of the fear early and i had 2 up at about a 2 second interval from each other, you just get feared out of range before they pop you out it seems.

2. best way to manage the fear was to have a warrior OT stance dance the fear and tank for the 5 seconds your feared as long as he can maintain 2nd on aggro (unfortunately this was a big drawback for my raid as my warrior OT sucks at threat so dps had to go incredibly slow to stay below him on threat, finally i made him use a flask of relentless assault and that made a huge difference in his aggro)

3. during the air phase have everyone collapse against the dome, when the bones hit all recollapse on the battlements to get away from the bones, cast holy wrath, rank 6 consc, and just tank everything so your aoe can burn them down, if you have a pally healer, make sure he has RF on and spams heals so that he tanks the smokeball from nightbane as his armor will mitigate more of the dmg than other healers

our best was 50% which wasnt too bad for a first night as i was the only who had fought him before, big killer was ppl just not getting out of the charred earth which is a lack of attention issue, and nothing to do with our ability to tank, once they get more comfortable with the transitions he'll die no sweat

definitely doable as a pally tank, make sure your healers are keeping you topped off as he can do a decent amount of burst dmg occassionally, pretty much need a warrior OT though to grab the fears if you are horde and dont have fear ward, even in my warrior OT's crappy tank gear he could stay alive during the fears as it was only a few seconds of damage on him
khash

Postby Kyroro » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 pm

The trick I've read with shamans and their totems is to IMMEDIATELY drop it when NB fears. The totem will pulse immediately when it's dropped. Unfortunately this depends on having a shaman with an itchy trigger the entire fight, which would be dangerous to rely on .

Our group 1 has a warrior which is apparently really slow to stance dance, even after the nerf, and they have no dwarf priest that plays when they raid at that hour, but they do have a shaman. We will see how it goes if they decide to attempt him.
Kyroro

Postby Candiru » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 pm

I was thinking for tanking nightbane, the molten floor bits break fear if you run over them, so could I keep a BoSac up on a party member who would then make sure to stand in the molten area just before the fear hits, which would then mean I break fear straight away? Seems like it would be more reliable than a tremor totem?
Candiru

Postby Maruko_ » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:56 pm

Here's how my kara group does it (with me as MT).

If you look on the ground near the middle of the ring, there is a splayed open barrel. He lands just to the left of there if you are facing in toward the dome, and so is also the easiest place to tank him I've found.

Make absolutely sure the rest of the group stands far back from his landing spot (even with spamming exorcism to grab him as soon as he is attackable, he can and will still one shot a healer if they are standing anywhere near his landing spot before he turns to the MT).

We have a dwarf priest so handling the fears is pretty simple for me (sorry hordies! :(). Just make sure fear ward is up all the time.

When he goes into the air we group up on the MT spot. Whoever gets rain of bones moves out of the group a little bit. The designated healer heals a bunch to get the debuff (pally is best, but we've also used shammy and druid); make sure debuff is being cleansed off throughout air phase. We use a bear or arms war to gather up most of the adds so I don't have to worry about them when he lands, with me picking up any that are running loose and bringing them back for them to grab off me. We've found the fastest way to kill the skeles is to assign an assist target and focus fire them down one at a time. When there is 10 seconds left until he lands, everyone runs back to their original positions (MT by the barrel and everyone else far back on either side) whether there are skeles still up or not. The dps can quickly finish off the skeles off to the sides. Make sure exorcism and JoR are available and spam these at him as soon as you can so you get aggro when he lands.

Rinse and repeat until he dies :)
Maruko_

Postby Silandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52 am

I won't have a chance to try this anymore as I'm getting a fear warding priest in my kara group from now on, but does BoProtection break the fear, too? 'Cause if it does:

BoP 5-3minutes
DS 4 minutes
Trinket 2 minutes

3 separate CDs to go off of, with 2 of them sharing one, granted.
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 am

The fear is considered a spell, so I don't believe so.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Silandra » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 am

Lore wrote:The fear is considered a spell, so I don't believe so.

If it was a spell, wouldn't it be cleansable?

I only mention this because I know for a fact that it works against warrior fears in PvP.
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Silandra

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan