Remove Advertisements

Nightbane...

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby mconeone » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:50 am

I need a bit of gear advice, I'm planning on tanking Nightbane for the first time tomorrow as I just got my 2-minute PvP trinket. Check out my regular gear in my armory link.

I need to switch out one of my trinkets, I'm thinking the pocketwatch, and putting on the maiden gloves (should I ditch tier4 for them period? It's 30 stamina vs. 24int/27dam.) My main question is: is the dodge oh-s@#$ button really useful in this fight? Useful enough to lose the darkmoon card? I also have the SL, SH, and heroic UB trinkets.
mconeone

Postby Pulire » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 am

mconeone wrote:I need a bit of gear advice, I'm planning on tanking Nightbane for the first time tomorrow as I just got my 2-minute PvP trinket. Check out my regular gear in my armory link.

I need to switch out one of my trinkets, I'm thinking the pocketwatch, and putting on the maiden gloves (should I ditch tier4 for them period? It's 30 stamina vs. 24int/27dam.) My main question is: is the dodge oh-s@#$ button really useful in this fight? Useful enough to lose the darkmoon card? I also have the SL, SH, and heroic UB trinkets.

I'd ditch the gloves for maiden mainly because more than 2 pieces just seems wasted on boss, and as you suggested the pocket watch for your pvp trinket. The on use dodge is really not needed unless your healers have horrid reaction times. Plus, if you're like me, you'll pop the trinket and not get a single dodge. :oops:
Pulire

Postby Joonho » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 pm

mconeone wrote:I need a bit of gear advice, I'm planning on tanking Nightbane for the first time tomorrow as I just got my 2-minute PvP trinket. Check out my regular gear in my armory link.

I switched out my Vengence card and kept the pocket watch. It left me at about 14.5k health fully buffed which was plenty to work with. Imo, nothing is worse in that fight then getting wiped because of a massive crushing blow. So, if your mitigation is up to par then you don't need the pocketwatch.

Just a note of interest, popping the evasion trinket is nice when your health is low. It also helps your healers regen a bit more mana for the fight. You can pop it at least 3 times during the encounter.

Flawless kills ftw :D
Joonho

Postby Kash » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:58 pm

I follow a different school of thought. Considering Ardent defender, More stam actually = more mitigation at the bottom end of your health pool. A lot more. The bigger your health pool, the more effective that talent gets.

At current 10 man raid health, Im running at 17.5k+ with the PVP trinket. Thats a bit over 6150 health with a crazy amount of mit. It also gives your healers more room to work with. And your not relying on a cooldown that has a short duration. In short, more health = less need of an "Oh @*&# button".

If you have a pally healer in your group, having both fire and dev auras up made a noticable difference in damage taken in the fight. Some of it isn't physical, making the pocketwatch less useful. You can't dodge Smoldering breath.

Don't get me wrong, the pocket watch is nice, but dropping 51 stam in favor of it seems like a big sacrifice to me. Health is our weak point compared to other tanks. Dropping more health makes it more of a rolling the dice fight imo.

All of this is assuming your already uncrushable.
Kash

Postby Darus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:57 am

got FW? then its all good, paladintanks are a better choice in that case since you can aoetank all the adds in p2.

gl!
Darus

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:47 am

Darus wrote:got FW? then its all good, paladintanks are a better choice in that case since you can aoetank all the adds in p2.

gl!

The more I read about the upcoming encounters in 25 man instances the more I start seeing red.

WTB fear ward.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mconeone » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 pm

I got him down, panzar'thar dropped :) Trinketing/DSing was enough, I only got 2 fears each phase. Good call on the darkmoon card, the pocketwatch use ability was not needed.
mconeone

Postby Enkal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Tried to kill Nightbane last night. Last time we one-shot her. This time, we had about the same team setup, I summoned the the brown stuff hit the rotating thing.. she landed on a healer. I picker her up, first fear she went for a dps I got her back etc.

3 wipes later she really started acting weird, after first flying phase she landed on a healer then ran for another healer. It was as if she wiped my aggro but not the rest of the raids aggro. We gave up after that, cant deal with a boss that is so bugged. :(

Will try again tonite and see if we can down her.
Enkal

Postby Enkal » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 am

Tried the bubble out of fear macros today. Worked like a charm! :) First time I've tanked NB since my last post btw.

Thank you guys for the macro stuff. ;)
Enkal

Postby sindorei » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:30 am

Enkal wrote:Tried to kill Nightbane last night. Last time we one-shot her. This time, we had about the same team setup, I summoned the the brown stuff hit the rotating thing.. she landed on a healer. I picker her up, first fear she went for a dps I got her back etc.

3 wipes later she really started acting weird, after first flying phase she landed on a healer then ran for another healer. It was as if she wiped my aggro but not the rest of the raids aggro. We gave up after that, cant deal with a boss that is so bugged. :(

Will try again tonite and see if we can down her.

get a hunter and MD to you , the raid leader should organise this for you, espeically yell out the hunter to MD during air phase
sindorei

Postby Enkal » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:38 am

[quote="sindorei
get a hunter and MD to you , the raid leader should organise this for you, espeically yell out the hunter to MD during air phase[/quote]

This time there were no issues at all with it but thanks for the tip anyway. :)
Enkal

Postby Ocin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:28 am

I'm completely special in the short bus kind of way and need to know if i just want to add divine shield cast to this macro:

/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cancelaura Blessing of Protection
/cast Judgement
/stopcasting
/cast Exorcism

would it be:

/cast Divine Shield
/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cancelaura Blessing of Protection
/cast Judgement
/stopcasting
/cast Exorcism
Ocin

Postby Jereth » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:11 am

I don't add the casting of Divine Shield as part of the macro, I normally pop it a second before fear is about to finish casting, and then hit the macro straight after the cast finishes.

Pretty sure you don't need the /stopcasting commands in the macro anymore either...I don't have 'em.

Have been using this tactic the last few times we did Nightbane since 2.3, partly because of the change to Fear Ward, but mainly because we never had a priest anyway :P...works a treat, she's been cake both times.

Don't forget, you can use your BoP as well (as long as Forbearance is gone), and that of other Pally's once your CD's are ticking down...just need to make sure you're in sync to get it right.

Also, even if you don't have the extra pally's and get feared, she follows YOU now when you go running off and doesn't happily walk around one-shotting other members of the raid, so as long as you have decent healers who can cover a bit of burst damage if you take a few hits in the back of the head, you'll be fine.

Still waiting on her chestplate to drop for me...someone needs to tell her bony ass if she doesn't drop it soon, I'll soon have the new BoJ one, and will no longer be so desperate to meet up with her every week :)
Jereth
Maintankadonor

Postby Shakkra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:07 am

Finally got nightbane down (second try). Between fearwards and my attempts at timing bubble I got feared a couple of times but healers could keep up without much of a problem. Just need to point it away from the rest of the raid quickly again.

I shyed away from repositioning it after each fear, so we came a good way from the original position, nothing bad happened though.

For the flight phase collapse on the tank, step aside after the bonerain starts, and remember that holy wrath is your friend.

Only netherspite and illhoof remaining now :)
Shakkra

Postby Oriax » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:56 am

I got to tank nightbane for the first time last night. Have to say it wasn't that pleasant at all and felt harder than the previous bosses.

I'm uncrushable in my tank-gear with Moroes trinket + Dabiri's Enigma, leaving no room really to swith one out for the pvp-trinket (I don't even have it tbh).

I found the positioning of him hard, keeping the tail away from the group. First landing I couldn't attack until he landed and attacked someone (hopefully me MD'd). Then I got him and tried to turn him so the tail was towards the dome with me towards the railing. I got a Flamepatch under me so I had to move him and ofc he just "swivels", mid-axis, bringing the tail in the midst of the raid while I'm trying to go far right along that same railing.
To line him up again, I have to go back towards the group so he "swivels" correct again.

I don't know if I was totally off track here doing it like this but I don't know any other way it can be done ? Should I just remain in the flamepatch perhaps, hoping healing will cope with the additional damage ?

We did 3 tries then raid-off. I need to get this one down since I need both shield and chest from him and we only run with friends and alts, meaning I'm basicly the only tank there and we're happy to even get a group of 10 together :/
Oriax

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan