Remove Advertisements

Threat on Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Threat on Curator

Postby anariana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:05 am

I tanked Curator for the first time last night, and one of rogues mentioned that I seemed to do less threat than the (roughly equaly geared) warriors. My personal theory would be that because he doesn't attack on evocations, I lose a lot of damage done due to no Holy Shield blocks compared to a warrior. Is there any way I could compensate for this or is it just to try and boost my spelldamage and/or tell the dps to mind ktm? (they usually do, but it seems threat isn't a matter when warriors tank curator)
anariana

Postby Lorath » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:37 am

Well at the first evoc, I do it like this...
Consecrate the moment he evocates, pop wings, judge my 5-stack Vengeance, toss AS, seal Vengeance, time to consecrate again, judge again, time is about up here so get ready to put HShield up.

If you are low on mana use a mana pot for heavens sake, this is where you shine man :D You should reach or come close to 100k threat after that nukage. If you have a dps'er who can reach you WTB him/her ;)

161 spell damage on gear here and I'm usually so far above everyone on threat after 1st evoc that I can go afk :P
A warrior has no chance whatsoever to build that kinda burst threat. None.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby anariana » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:27 am

Well, since I am horde, SoR is my tanking seal of choice. But on I didn't think of this until the second evocation or so, and that's where I spent my wings and tried to go all out. But the rogue managed to get aggro for a few sec just before the final evocation. Might have been something else too. I had over 200 spelldamage so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll have ktm set to Curator next time, so flares don't give a faulty image of the aggro.
anariana

Postby Aina » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:33 am

For me, Curator was the first time that I looked at the threat meter and thought: "what the hell? I'm not rediculously high on the meter!?".

To be honest, at first I figured that DPS wouldn't really need Salvation, because they spend so much time DPSing the flares instead of Curator himself - but I was wrong :)

A good burst during the evocation is important - everything you do or don't do has triple the effect. Once you get that under control, you shouldn't have any trouble anymore.

Oh btw, the "aggro" on the rogue that you saw might've been the Curator's Hatefull Bolts. They go for the one with the most current health. We always thought that they went to the one 2nd on the threatlist, but that isn't so. So nowadays we just ignore them and focus on more DPSing.

Good luck with your tanking :)
Aina

Postby Prepared » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:41 am

What was said above works for me. Don't "unload" until the first evocate, drink a mana pot if you have to, and salvation to everyone.

I'm a masochist, though, and have a Shadow Priest constantly doing damage to Curator to regen health/mana for the ranged group. He has to be especially careful.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Tybalt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:03 pm

This one actually comes as a bit of a surprise to me. I have never, ever, lost aggro on the Curator. Since everyone but myself and our warrior OT/Hateful Bolt tank are focusing on the adds until the first evocate, I have *plenty* of time to build up a significant threat lead. Sure, I pop wings and go all out during the first evocate, but more out of a desire to do as much damage as possible than any fear of losing aggro.

Did your rogue really pull aggro (as in the Curator ran at him), or did her perhaps just receive the Hateful Bolt (the Curator will turn, face and target him just long enough to cast it)? It can be disconcerting when you see him target someone else for a second, but that's normal game mechanics for him.

-Ty

P.S. I generally run with SoR/JoR on this fight, and will throw a JoW on him around the 3rd judgment cycle.
Tybalt

Postby Maruko_ » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:08 pm

anariana wrote:Well, since I am horde, SoR is my tanking seal of choice. But on I didn't think of this until the second evocation or so, and that's where I spent my wings and tried to go all out. But the rogue managed to get aggro for a few sec just before the final evocation. Might have been something else too. I had over 200 spelldamage so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll have ktm set to Curator next time, so flares don't give a faulty image of the aggro.

Since it was just for a second, could it be he didn't pass you in threat, but the OT? Meaning he got a Hateful Bolt (the boss target does change for just a moment when he casts that on the OT).

The only time I've ever lost aggro to a dps on Curator was just after the first evocate to one of our mages in a group with an elemental shammy and no salv (yes, he did to enough dps during one evo to pull aggro off me even though I always spam max rank everything I've got during the evocate and have never ever needed to salv my dps on that fight before). Curator went over and one shot him and then came right back to me :P

I've used both SoR and SoV on him and it doesn't seem to make a big difference in threat. During Evo it's wings, judge whenever it's up, AS and max rank consecrates, which is usually more than enough to keep aggro :)
(not always accurate, I spec holy for arena)
Maruko_

Postby Aina » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Well I've never actually lost aggro, but in like all the other fights I've always been so stupidly high on the threatlist that I can just go SoL or SoW for a while. Not on Curator though.... I have to keep working to maintain a safe distance.

You should try doing it without an OT sometime btw. Just send everyone after the flares.
I was skeptical at first too, but it seems like the Hatefull Bolts go for the one with the current highest amount of HP. So an OT has no effect, except that he usually is the one with the most HP, so it seems like OTing works, but it doesn't matter.

Curator is a DPS fight, if you think you need more healing power, you actually need more DPS. So letting the OT do some damage instead is a good idea.
Aina

Postby Reiyuka » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:06 pm

during evocate, I judge my SoV stack, seal Righteousness, and let the Vengeance stack fall off. That way I get more threat out of the deal when it hits the hardest. No holy shield, but definitely use your wings and consecrate and throw a shield.

It's not too hard to keep aggro even with crazy-ass shamans :)
Reiyuka

Postby Kyroro » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:56 pm

Rogues hit pretty hard during evocate, especially if they pop their CDs. But at the same time any good rogue will know that he needs to save his Vanish after he pops his CDs. If he's already pulling aggro on the 1st evocate, vanish and his threat will be zero. Assuming you take Curator down in the next 2 evocates, it's unlikely that his CDs will be up for them, and you will have had a very long lead in threat.

But yeah, I also judge 5 stack vengeance, pop wings + consecrate and just watch your TPS fly in KTM/Omen. The only time people come close to me in threat are prot warriors off tanking and spamming heroic strike. That's when you realized you forgot to give them salv. :wink:
Kyroro

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:41 am

Hateful Bolts go for whoever's second on aggro. We've always used a caster dps staying on the boss full time to eat them. Only time I've lost aggro was to a shadow priest doing this with VE aggroing flares, and it wasn't 'losing' aggro so much as her passing me in threat and causing me to eat bolts while tanking (ugly).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:33 am

Pretty sure damage dealt during Evocate has 0 aggro attached to it.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:38 am

Sabindeus wrote:Pretty sure damage dealt during Evocate has 0 aggro attached to it.

If that were true I would never pull aggro while playing my Warlock, cuz that's the only time I DPS him until the enrage.

As it stands, if I'm not careful, I can rip it off the tank on the 2nd evocate.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aina » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:50 am

Sabindeus wrote:Pretty sure damage dealt during Evocate has 0 aggro attached to it.

My friendly neighbourhood Locks time Curse of Doom to hit during the Evocates - it goes boom pretty well, and so does their threat.
Aina

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:46 am

Aina wrote:

My friendly neighbourhood Locks time Curse of Doom to hit during the Evocates - it goes boom pretty well, and so does their threat.

As in, they pull aggro after the Evocate is over?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Next

Return to Karazhan