An embarrasing admission

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

An embarrasing admission

Postby Kinrain » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 am

I'm loathe to admit it but i'm having real trouble with Magisters Terrace.

On Normal!!!

I've done maybe 5 or 6 runs and never downed the last boss. Mostly due to retarded DPS or healers who think PvP gear is the mutts nuts for PvE.

But last night I thought i'd finally clear it and move on to the Heroic version and my Comendation. We had me Tanking, a Resto Shammy healing, the GL on his Prot Warrior doing a bit of DPS/Tanking the occasional caster and 2 Hunters.

Now everyone is a regular at our Kara runs which go fine (I MT everything but Maiden/Aran and don't have any issues), we have good gear and know our jobs but we kept wiping, The GL has now given up on MgT entirely.

Has anyone had any similar problems or a suggested solution.

(Group buffed i'm at about 15khps, uncrittable, uncrushable even though its not necessary with about +400 spell damage)
Kinrain

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:37 am

Your hp can increase slightly, but you really should be perfectly good even for heroic MrT. Unless you are failing at tanking, there really shouldn't be any issue.
Rule of Thumb: CC or kill first the Succubi(or enslave, they rock), physicians, then bloodknights(or cc them till the end), then mage guards, then the Magi, then the warlocks. Ethereal and witch are mostly harmless, just face them away from the group.
Fire/Frost resist auras will help you greatly against the warlocks and magi, move out of the bubbles the mage guards make and kill loose healers first, like in the order i mentioned.
Pull exploring Line of Sight to gather all the non-CCed targets up.

This instance's trash isn't forgiving on dumb dps, and the magical damage output grants some spikes healers must pay attention to.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:39 am

That place is a nightmare without good CC at your level. And by good CC I mean at least two mages or a mage and a rogue. Unless your Hunters can chain trap and have space to LoS the casters, traps aren't gonna cut it.

Don't let the "normal" tag fool you, I'd put the normal version on a par with the middle-rung heroics (Botanica level easily) and the heroic version's one of the toughest heroics I've been in.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Re: An embarrasing admission

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 am

Kinrain wrote:I'm loathe to admit it but i'm having real trouble with Magisters Terrace.

On Normal!!!

I've done maybe 5 or 6 runs and never downed the last boss. Mostly due to retarded DPS or healers who think PvP gear is the mutts nuts for PvE.

But last night I thought i'd finally clear it and move on to the Heroic version and my Comendation. We had me Tanking, a Resto Shammy healing, the GL on his Prot Warrior doing a bit of DPS/Tanking the occasional caster and 2 Hunters.

Now everyone is a regular at our Kara runs which go fine (I MT everything but Maiden/Aran and don't have any issues), we have good gear and know our jobs but we kept wiping, The GL has now given up on MgT entirely.

Has anyone had any similar problems or a suggested solution.

(Group buffed i'm at about 15khps, uncrittable, uncrushable even though its not necessary with about +400 spell damage)

Its all about CC, and good CC at that.

Mages, Shadow Priests and Rogues are awesome here but any group should be able to complete the instance IF their gear is good enough and they are skilled enough and don't do daft things.

I failed the first 2 times I went in there. Now its a 45 minute run for easy purples on normal. You can do it Kinrain, just get the group composition right.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:47 am

Ulushnar wrote:That place is a nightmare without good CC at your level. And by good CC I mean at least two mages or a mage and a rogue. Unless your Hunters can chain trap and have space to LoS the casters, traps aren't gonna cut it.

Don't let the "normal" tag fool you, I'd put the normal version on a par with the middle-rung heroics (Botanica level easily) and the heroic version's one of the toughest heroics I've been in.
the damage output specifically doesn't change much, but the mobs are much more endurable, which means you're really screwed if the group fails.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:54 am

Snake-Aes wrote:the damage output specifically doesn't change much, but the mobs are much more endurable, which means you're really screwed if the group fails.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. I'm kinda impressed with it tbh, it's really an instance you can't bruteforce your way through. Well at least not until the late T5/early T6 level.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lookit » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:29 am

Don't feel bad about having trouble on Normal mode - it is literally just as tough as Heroic is.

As others have said, use all the CC you can, and Enslave the Succubi or Mind Control the Mage Guards if you can. That really makes things easier.

I LOS pull every single pack in the instance. In the large courtyards with several packs, I pull them around to the corner in the little red hallways before each courtyard. If you have a rogue, as him to put Mind Numbing poison on his offhand and shiv it onto all casters - that right there is a huge decrease in incoming damage.

DPS really has to be on the ball for this run, with as many interrupts as possible.
Lookit

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I hate this instance.

DPS all seem to pack a spazz on the last pull before Kael.

Last night - after explaining that it was almost identical to one of the other pulls earlier on and that I would like the healer to wait around the corner for me and the cc to run as soon as they have cc'd and get by the healer THEN start DPS...

I pull... healer runs past me on my way to running back, mage and lock both get aggro when mobs have been through my consecrate rogue is still up dps'ing a random mob in the room and then we wipe.

Honestly give dps an enclosed space and they get all mental and aoe and crap.

The rest of the run was pretty good with no wipes.

I might change strat and pull them out of hallway into the light where you fight 3rd boss so dps can get some range and hopefully see what they are doing.

A nice trick on normal for pally tanks to impress people is...

the group of mobs in room with first boss - Mark skull and x, pull em all and advise them to aoe when skull and x are down.
and then the same with all the adds in Vexallus room, just make sure you let your healer know :P

Haven't tried those tricks on heroic but as people were saying the melee damage here is piss - it's magic that sucks and those crazy dots. cleanse is your friend and so is LOS and dps that can focus fire properly.

I'm gonna try for my commendation again tonight :S
Sarutankah

Postby Marker » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 pm

I mean to remeber that Kael doesn't aggro before the group is dead, so you can CC where they stand, pull & fight where they stand, fear at will and take em down, as long as you're not standing on top of Kael when the last mob dies.

Haven't tried this myself though... Can anyone confirm?
Marker

Postby UMIO » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:07 am

Marker wrote:I mean to remeber that Kael doesn't aggro before the group is dead, so you can CC where they stand, pull & fight where they stand, fear at will and take em down, as long as you're not standing on top of Kael when the last mob dies.

Haven't tried this myself though... Can anyone confirm?

Yeah i think that may be the case on normal. with the last pack one of the mobs was fears very close to kael and he didn't aggro. this could just be down to his short aggro range thought
UMIO

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:22 am

You wiped since of not being able to take down the group before kael, or kael himself?

Imho, kaelthas is "Free epic" once dps stops being retarded and moves from the balls. Even a kara geared paladin kept the group up during it (forget flash of light, mkay). It's all about not being retarded. Oh err... when he hits the flight phase slap on a heal shield+mace and throw around some heals, they can be what save that overzealous dps.

The instance itself is a pain to aoe tank, you have to outgear the place by a fair deal (18k group buffed health atleast with decent avoidance for heroic). Rather get 3 cc classes and do what you can to minimize the damage.

Death Prio :
Mage Guard (bad timed stun -> wipe, badly placed bubble + casters -> no los possibility)
Ethereum Smuggler
Magister (if left unchecked will be doing 1s x 4k ice bolts)
Blood Knight
Physician
Warlock
Sister of Pain
Coilskar Witch

if possible, i ask to CC the smuggler because he is so random, if not possible and there is no mage guard, he is the first kill. The witch if faced away from the group is harmless, if not she does massive aoe.
Seloei

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Only usual wipes for me in N MagT are on last pull before Kael.

DPS just choose not to listen and screw up every time lately.

I've even done it once with no cc at all - nuked Succy/imp on pull then LOS and AOE'd.

But no - dps will die cos they can't wait for 10 secs for everything to settle down, the healer will get aggro cos they have to heal some fool before the mobs have even reached me.

For fun last night I rolled through with a fury/arms warrior and 2 rogues with an undergeared healer, only time that 3rd boss has been a fail for me but it was with mates so it didn't matter. (we did have Hunter/Ms Warrior/Rogue as adds though).
Sarutankah

Postby Marker » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:56 pm

Seloei wrote:
Death Prio :
Mage Guard (bad timed stun -> wipe, badly placed bubble + casters -> no los possibility)
Ethereum Smuggler
Magister (if left unchecked will be doing 1s x 4k ice bolts)
Blood Knight
Physician
Warlock
Sister of Pain
Coilskar Witch

I've always left the Smuiggler as last of my un-CCed kills, he doesnt wreck much havoc. I tend to burn down the Blood Knight first since his massive heals will make other takedowns take so much more time and I don't rely on PuG rogues etc to interrupt.
Marker

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics