Remove Advertisements

got a long road to my commendation

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

got a long road to my commendation

Postby djellum » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok so i need the commendation and the cudgel from MgT. problem is nobody in the guild will touch it with a ten foot pole. there is me to tank it (for whatever thats worth) 1 hunter who will go just to help out and either 1 of 2 healers. both healers and the hunter can play and are in about as much Kara gear as me. I have to take them and whatever 2 ppl we pug through normal to tune them and then try to get us passed heroic (id settle for the commendation but i really want to get all the way to the cudgel for my trouble).

What I need is a short list of the best advice you can give. could be strategy, which 2 classes to pug, whatever (no "dont pug" please, if I have a choice I wont). im looking up every strategy I can find, but some more trusted advice is nice. I hate that place as much as anyone, but it needs to be done.

djellum

Postby DracoTB » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:57 pm

If you have Tank,healer and a hunter then the last two spots should be mages. They're the class that makes MgT easy. A 'lock can be good as well but their CC isn't quite as reliable.
DracoTB

Postby Mishdorf » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:29 am

Well I have PUGed Heroic MgT quite a number of times.

Basically the PUG group you want is:

Pallytank
rogue
mage
warlock
non-pally healer

If you have a healer and a hunter already then you should try for a mage and a lock.

Note that this will make the last boss more difficult as you don't have a warrior/rogue for interupts (mages can interupt I believe but the cooldown is longer, and I've never taken a hunter that far into the instance without a rogue present).

If you take a rogue instead of either the mage or the lock you may have some trouble on the third boss, particularly if you get the warrior or rogue add. It is possible to do however (I have done the dreaded warrior, rogue, shammy and hunter combo with a rogue, mage and shadow priest before).

More than any other instance, MgT requires everyone to know how each pull works and to be more self reliant than usual. DPS has to understand that a pally tank has a lot less control in this instance than normal. Healers have to understand that the dps and themselves will take damage.

Oh, and bring your healing set, even if it's as low as 600 +heals, it will still be ridiculously useful. All you need to do is worry about healing the healer, and let him/her worry about the others.

Finally, hammer of justice is one of the most useful spells in this situation. Do not forget to use it. It's really useful when a sapped mob breaks CC or a priest fear is on CD.

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

Postby UMIO » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 am

I've only ever pugged this instance and have never gotten the third boss down. best set up is probably non pally healer because there tends to be abit of Ae damage and 2 mages and a lock or mage,lock and rogue

Btw this is on heroic
UMIO

Postby Marker » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:42 am

Depends on the skill of the people you pick of course, but if you're pug'ing there's no way of knowing, so I'd definately pick a mage and a rogue to ensure Iceblock + Cloak of Shadows to breeze the Vexallus, and have Sheep + SAP as CC for Delrissa.

However there's a ton of ways to pick up adds from Vexallus if the group knows what it's doing. I've normally picked up one and had a random DPS pick up the other, pref mage, rogue or lock (which can easily lifedrain through the debuff dmg if the gear is OK). It's not a DPS race anyways, more of the contrary actually.

You're also almost ceratin to get a demon for the delrissa encounter so lock CC for that is also probably provided, not to mention that a lock that enslaves the succubus can easily tank one other mob for the thrash groups, hence occupying 2 mobs and putting less pressure on the tank if your gear isn't all that.

I also like to bring a SP, since MCing a warlock in the thrash pulls provide excellent DPS and can be completely avioded wrt consecrate.

As for the bosses:
first one: tank and spank. Free badge.

Vexallus: Slow and easy wins the game. MegaDPS going all out from the start will spawn adds too quick to pick up (they sapwn every 15%) and will wipe your group. Saving JoR to pick up an add is a nice option if the group is missing someone to pick up one of the adds. When he overloads at 20%, bubble and JoR, AS and Hammer. make sure the healer knows you're gonna bubble and aviod to heal you, and focus on the DPS. The bubble prolly gonna last you through the 20% -> dead anyways.

Delrissa: Put on healing gear. Give everyone BoK for added survivability. Mark for CC and announce kill order(Make sure Apoko (shaman) and Warlord Salaris (Warrior) is CCed, Apoko heals too much and makes it a pain to get Delrissa down, Salaris fears + DPS (+ MS debuff?). Do the initial pull with AS for the slow effect and pull back. HoJ the hardest hitting non-CCed mob ASAP. Use HoJ as soon as it's off CD after that. Focus on healing the healer and cleanse SW:P and other debuffs as needed. BoP squishies and bubble yourself if needed

Use Exorsime on the deamons whenever possbile and toss another AS if possible for added slow effect and kitability.

Kael: AS beofre pull, wait a wee bit. Fire res aura. Tank as normal. Depending on your DPS' ability to pull Phoenix away, you might go a bit easier on the conserate when it spawns. Bubble through pyro. Pop healing gear (maihand, offhand, libarm) at timelapse and heal for the rest of the enounter. Make sure you stay away from bubbles.

Loot, /cheer and Hearth..
Marker

thanks

Postby djellum » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 pm

thanks guys ill give it a shot. tried on normal the other day and couldnt get passed second boss. had me/hunter/helaer and pugged a lock and rogue, who were both undergeared but could play. had him down below 10% a few times, but coulnd either dps was too fast or too slow. Palli was having a hard time healing everone. ill prob just bring a pot or 2 when I go in there to ease the way a bit.

didnt know that rogues could cloak out of vexillus buff, wouold have gotten past if I would have known that. my bad on using holy shield, shouldnt have worried about it since I cant block his attacks. guess we all F'd that one up.

I have a 1k healing set which i planned on using for Del anyway, but ill make sure to try out the other stuff.

ussually have the palli healer if he is still willing after the last run, so ussually 2 blessings including kings.

djellum

Re: thanks

Postby ldeboer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:06 pm

djellum wrote:thanks guys ill give it a shot. tried on normal the other day and couldnt get passed second boss. had me/hunter/helaer and pugged a lock and rogue, who were both undergeared but could play. had him down below 10% a few times, but coulnd either dps was too fast or too slow. Palli was having a hard time healing everone. ill prob just bring a pot or 2 when I go in there to ease the way a bit.

didnt know that rogues could cloak out of vexillus buff, wouold have gotten past if I would have known that. my bad on using holy shield, shouldnt have worried about it since I cant block his attacks. guess we all F'd that one up.

I have a 1k healing set which i planned on using for Del anyway, but ill make sure to try out the other stuff.

ussually have the palli healer if he is still willing after the last run, so ussually 2 blessings including kings.

This is a very pally friendly fight as soon as aoe starts bubble it has no agro table it just sits there aoeing. Your healer should know you are going to do it and and if they are a pally healer they should have bubbled too now keep at least one of the dps alive and profit :)
ldeboer

Postby towelliee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:43 am

This is the group I usually like to run with

Tankadi (me)
Mage
Mage
Hunter
Healer

CC is awesome for fight especially hunter in PVP fight because he can ice trap one of the arena fighers. And when the hunter hits you can always fear it or have pet vs pet action.

2nd boss is even better with this group as you have 2 ice blocks and you can have the pet take 2 of the flares.
towelliee

Postby Aranon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Long road is right. I got my commendation on the 28th heroic run. :) I hope yours is MUCH MUCH faster!
Aranon

Postby Colette » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:42 pm

A class with good aoe heals is best for the healer. CoH priest or resto shammy are the best I've found.

For CC, Hunter/Mage mage the best combo. The only mobs I CC are the mage guards, and I have the hunter pull off of me to trap, then the mage sheeps the trap and we forget about it until after everything else is dead.

That combination gives you the freedom to consecrate right away with the reliability of sheep CC. It's quite effective.

For the second boss, the hunter's pet kills the first two orbs and takes one for the team. If we have a rogue, they take the next two and CoS. Mage takes the next 4, iceblock, 4 again, cold snap -> ice block.

Also, on the PVP boss, we usually have the hunter trap Delrissa and take out the most annoying add first (usually rogue or MS warrior)
Colette

Postby Nottebella » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:48 am

Magisters is getting the nerf bat in 2.4.3 so you may want to hold off until then.

But yeah, mages, mages, mages, one warlock (no more), shadow priest (or even an extra holy priest) for mind control (just make sure they know that all they are doing the whole instance is mind control), rogues are okay but only if you have a mage already.

I don't like trapping in magisters since usually I'm taking the good los spot already so the hunter has to find another one, but if they are skilled trap one of the healers since they are melee.

If you go before 2.4.3 be sure to sheep the mage guards that stun.
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
Nottebella

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:34 am

1: Line of Sight is OP. Exploit it to it's limits.
2: CC is just as OP. My favorite makeup is mage,lock,rogue, priest or druid healer. Be aware that with smart usage of CC the only group that will fail(and only because the gear is weak) is 3-warriors + pally healer. Oneo f my best runs was with t5 geared triple rogues + shaman healer. Stuff went down too fast to matter.
3: Screw avoidance, the melee damage is almost nil. Stamina and spell damage dictate our tanking in MrT, don't be afraid to switch auras either.

Smart people. Smart people. Smart people. You can't hammer that nail enough, sadly.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby towelliee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:53 am

I have used

Tankadin
Mage
Mage
Hunter
Shammy Healer

This has worked everyday for me for the past week.

Line of Sight is the main focus here for those mobs make sure your whole group is behind you pull let cc do their thing and their all yours.

Bosses

1st - No crystals just burn use Blood Lust from Shammy and he shoudln't get to the second stone.

2nd - Mages each take 4 flares / Hunters Pet can take 2 flares / At 20% just nuke

3rd - CC is awesome for this sheep 2, have hunter trap 3rd and hunters pet can get on 4th while you down Priestess.

Kael - Easiest fight of them all. Bubble for Pyroblast get bird down and egg by 50%. Once your up in air and hes down pop bloodlust and you should be good

This is only with my makeup and how I do it. Its the best group in my opinion to work with. High DPS, insane CC, and Blood Lust.
towelliee

Postby fizikz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Mage
Lock (enslave sisters and OT one works wonders, hp stones and fear/banish on third boss is amazing)
rogue for sap/interupts on kael
priest/shammy healer for aoe heals, never tried it with a druid but i believe i healed it on my druid once just fine

one thing that REALLY helps is if you bring a holy set for third boss, no aggro tables so you wont be "tanking" anymore than anyone else will... just make sure to switch back after... :oops: also, if you get 2 demons you can fear one and dont be afraid to bop anyone who gets a rogue/warrior on them. make sure you pull them back from the inside of the pillars, as LoS can be a huge issue.

good luck on your commendation. took me a little over a week of daily farming >< (caster trinket dropped 6 times in a row i believe)
Sexual Harassment is the new Purple.
-Vanifae
fizikz

Postby Neara » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Nerfbat hits MgT critally for 394857593.
Still not an easy instance, but not a hard one either.

one thing that REALLY helps is if you bring a holy set for third boss

There's two sides for that, personally i had a lot more success with me in full tank-gear, so the healer doesn't need to worry about me. Just Cleanse, stun (HoJ + Seal of Justice), BoP the healer if he's targeted by one (or more) of the meele-adds, tank the hunter-pet and kill totems of the shaman. Even without healing-gear you can be useful in that fight.
Neara

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics