Advice on 5-mans

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Advice on 5-mans

Postby Talmus » Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 am

First of all, normal instances for this post.

I'm in a very small guild and we have 4 people 60+ that have the time to run instances together. I'd like to try 4-manning some things so it could be JUST our guildies...I'm not against PUG'ing a 5th sometimes but this is more for fun than loot - just a 'see what our guild can do now' sort of thing.

Here's our current lineup:
Me, 70 Prot Paladin - Armory
- Mostly geared in what I could solo quest or get with rep although I've gotten the shoulders from Laj and a few pieces of Kara gear. For trash 12k+hp, 14.5karmor, 230sd and I've got lots of alternate gear for more sd/mp5 if I outgear the content (I solo around 9khp/405def but nearly 500sd/100mp5).
70 BM Hunter - He just hit 70 so he's geared about how you'd expect for a new 70.
61 Holy Paladin - He just respec'd to holy from protection after I helped him in Strat getting the holy water for the epic mount quest. We switched off tanking just to see which worked better (since I have a decent set of healing gear while he still has a single tanking gear set) and he realized how much of a difference it would make to what we could do if he played as holy. I bought him a ton of random greens off the AH to help ease the transition but he'll be pretty undergeared for awhile since all of his good quest rewards were taken with prot in mind.
6? Warlock - I know he does a crapload of damage and that he had an aoe he was using a lot but since I outleveled a lot of the guild I've been basically boosting them on the occasions when we grouped. Can't tell you much more other than that he's a warlock and he's above average when it comes to talent.

So here's my question. As a 4-man lineup what instances can we pull off? Would we be able to handle some of the early Outlands instances? Seems like it would be a good group to nail Ramps with given that we don't have any melee dps classes but I'm not really all that experienced with the instances since I pretty much exclusively quested to 70 while boosting my lower level guildmates.
Talmus

Postby Lalecize » Thu May 22, 2008 1:58 pm

I think the only way to truelly tell would be to give them a go.

If you are all between 60-70 it could be a bit patchy but it limits it a bit.

Ramps, Blood Furnace, Sp and Ub are probably all good starters. Any of the non-70 instances should be good.

Id say start at ramps and work your way up as you go. After a few runs your group will understand how each other works and things should go smoother.

With your gear and the hunter being 70 also you should smoke the earlier instances, no CC needed.

I've tanked normal ramps in my tuxedo and spell damage gear before!

Lalecize

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Almost everything is aoe-tankable. This means that if you can stay alive, and the healer can keep you up, in the time it takes your DPS (however many) to kill things, you're golden.

A warlock doing seed of corruption, or jsut tabbing through targets and DoT-ing up things as fast as he can, will put out a substantial amount of damage. That, combined with the hunter's substantial single-target damage (and some mild AOE with malted shots (er, multi-shot) should be plenty.

You can likely Wisdom the warlock, rather than salv him ... that might help him put out more. If he's not affliction, that's probably suboptimal for the 4-man game.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't 4-man just about anything pre-70, as you and your healer are decently geared. You have CC if you need it (ice trap, pet, fearing, succubus, enslave), too.
Kelaan

Postby Lookit » Thu May 22, 2008 3:50 pm

My first focus would be leveling up your holy pally. Run Ramps, Blood Furnace, Underbog and Slave Pens until he's 64 or so, then start running Durnholde. I'd skip Auchenai Crypts for the time being, since it is not particularly friendly towards AoE tanking (but far from impossible).

You and the other 70 will of course be fine in any normal instance, but a level 61 pally will be going out of mana fairly fast, and will have a huge aggro radius if you try anything significantly over his level.

Start with the basic instances, get a feel for each others strengths and playstyles, and work your way up. Nothing is more fun than having a solid crew to run 5-man's with, where loot is never a hassle, you are having fun cracking jokes, and you can still keep teasing someone for several weeks about a mistake they make. It's awesome :)
Lookit

Postby Eltiana » Sun May 25, 2008 9:21 am

Lookit wrote:My first focus would be leveling up your holy pally. Run Ramps, Blood Furnace, Underbog and Slave Pens until he's 64 or so, then start running Durnholde. I'd skip Auchenai Crypts for the time being, since it is not particularly friendly towards AoE tanking (but far from impossible).

You and the other 70 will of course be fine in any normal instance, but a level 61 pally will be going out of mana fairly fast, and will have a huge aggro radius if you try anything significantly over his level.

Start with the basic instances, get a feel for each others strengths and playstyles, and work your way up. Nothing is more fun than having a solid crew to run 5-man's with, where loot is never a hassle, you are having fun cracking jokes, and you can still keep teasing someone for several weeks about a mistake they make. It's awesome :)
Can't do Durnholde till level 66. Level requirement on the "attunement" quest :P. Unless Blizzard changed that too...
Eltiana

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics