Heroic Slave Pens - Quagmirran tauntable?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Slave Pens - Quagmirran tauntable?

Postby Okita » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm

I have done Heroic Slave Pens many times and when Quagmirran does his geyser spit, I use my righteous defense and probably most of the time, Quagmirran would just finish channeling his geyser spit and turn back to me. I was wondering if he is tauntable during his geyser spit. Many party members have told me just taunt him and he will turn to me but most of the time he wouldn't.
Okita

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:29 pm

I've found that post-2.1 his geyser is no longer tauntable, but I've only done him once or twice since the patch (thank god almost everyone's attuned now, I'm sick of that place =P)
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Khar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:38 pm

I've wondered this as well, I didn't actually know about the taunting thingy until uh, after I had ran the place at least 10 times (on my druid tank), so I tried it a few times, think I timed it right, but not sure. He's got 2 "spit" moves, one that isn't tauntable and one that is, from my understanding. I tried it like twice since the patch and have no idea if it worked or not to be honest. It's um, one of those fights that never gave me a problem to begin with, so I guess that's why I never worried about it too much. >.>
US Kel'thuzad
Aklan - 80 Prot Pally
Khar

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:03 pm

well, I'm fairly sure it used to be tauntable, always worked for me...I would have been able to tell you tonight if my healer didn't come in and ninja the SSC quest and have to "leave for an unscheduled Kara" >.< he was nice and stayed for the second boss (that's when he told us)...but he let me die because he couldn't get the GW off me (damn druid healers)...
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby nicolax » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:19 pm

quagmirran is quite easy, never had problem with him. just tank him against the right side wall on the room and position yourself so that he faces you. might be tricky because of his size but it should be ok. all dps/healers stay behind him. no one ever died here in my party.
nicolax

Postby Caerdwynn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:40 am

What Dorvan said.. that used to be "the way" to tank him.. wait till he turned around, taunt him, and he turned back around. Doesn't work this way anymore, though. He IS still tauntable, but it doesn't serve to turn him back around post 2.1.

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

heh

Postby Mavrix » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:43 am

To each their own on the positioning. I like to tank him against the left side wall personally. Early on I got caught once on the cages that are near the right side wall, which spelled disaster.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Alixander » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:48 pm

Okay, is there any way to have your party avoid the Acid Spray other than "have your healers keep them alive through it"?
Alixander

Postby Calindae » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:54 pm

Just gotta stay alive through it, if you have the buff it shouldn't be too bad.
Calindae

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:58 pm

Only one person should be getting hit for the full duration, it's a directional cone with a small angle, so establish where people need to move. Best is probably to set up the 4 party members in pairs at an angle behind him, so the affected can step to one side and the partner the other to immediately minimize damage.

As I recall BoP will interrupt the spray and cause him to run to the person only to turn back when they're immune to his attacks.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Alixander » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 am

Query: How much help does an off healer make for Heroic Slave Pens? The party I did it with this weekend comprised of: Me (Prot Pally), Priest, Rogue, Mage, and Hunter. BTW: Thanks for strat, PsiVen.
Alixander

Postby Caerdwynn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 am

Alixander wrote:Query: How much help does an off healer make for Heroic Slave Pens? The party I did it with this weekend comprised of: Me (Prot Pally), Priest, Rogue, Mage, and Hunter. BTW: Thanks for strat, PsiVen.

I tend to try to do it with an offhealer.. not that it makes it faster, just more comfortable.

Generally, I'll bring my holy pally friend for mainheals, and then something along the lines of a shadowpriest or resto shaman with decent elemental gear. The pally heals solo for everything but Crackler (because that dot can just be annoying) and Quag. Used to need/want the offhealer for the Defender duos too, but that's gotten a lot easier with 2.1 nerfs.

All that said, the instance is completely do-able with just 1 healer.. I tend to try to go a little CC heavy (especially Poly) when I've got a solo healer.

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Caerdwynn wrote:I tend to try to do it with an offhealer.. not that it makes it faster, just more comfortable.

Generally, I'll bring my holy pally friend for mainheals, and then something along the lines of a shadowpriest or resto shaman with decent elemental gear. The pally heals solo for everything but Crackler (because that dot can just be annoying) and Quag. Used to need/want the offhealer for the Defender duos too, but that's gotten a lot easier with 2.1 nerfs.

All that said, the instance is completely do-able with just 1 healer.. I tend to try to go a little CC heavy (especially Poly) when I've got a solo healer.

Since 2.1 it's been nerfed a bit overall, I think at this point if the members of your group are even in early kara gear bringing an extra healer or lots of CC may slow you down. As for Crackler, I'm kind of lucky as a dwarf I can just stoneform out of the second dot. Our DPS is usually enough that if I get the third dot at all, Crackler is on his death bed and I can just bubble that one off when he dies. My healer has to handle the first dot though, if I see him having trouble, I'll try to pop a pot if he gets my health close.

I don't know of a way anymore to avoid the acid geyser for your grp, but make sure they are spread out a bit. I was pugging the other day and forgot to mention that, and 3 people ate the same geyser.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sharlos » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:33 am

I've found a second tank to be of much more use. I main tank it while the fury warrior off tanks a few thins here and there. (one of those unCCable mobs for example.) the dps burns his target down as he takes more dmg than me, and then turn to me.

Personally the hardest part of this place is the champions who fear. especially if you have under 2 CC. i usually sap/sheep the champions first, dps the healer and then the other caster and then work on the fear guys.
Sharlos

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics