Remove Advertisements

Do you get the priest to MC ?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Do you get the priest to MC ?

Postby Far » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 am

Having leveled a shadowpriest to lvl 54, I had a ball in BRD MC'ing the caster mobs. Only after the pull though.

Do any of you get your priest to MC in eg. MgT ?

Haven't really tested it yet, but can you MC one mob and just let it die, without aggroing untill MC'ed mob dies ?

I would have to be fast at picking up the mobs after MC stops, but it would be helpfull anyway.

Could even be a holy priest doing it, or ?
Far

Postby UMIO » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:36 am

yeah i have used a priest for mc in instances such as heroic SV but only due to having one other cc and me not being in the best gear. also if the priest mcs then he would get the aggro rather then the mob being controlled
UMIO

Postby Thanehand » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:36 am

Yep, if we're lacking CC on large packs of caster mobs (or esp. mixed caster and melee), we use MC a lot.

For example the packs in MgT. When tanking I take all the melee, and the priest MC's a caster.

The advantage of MC is that it takes 2 mobs out of the control equation (since you have one MC'd and another aggroed to it)

You can "just let it die", but at last check you don't get any loot for it if another mob kills it.

You have to be really fast, since it will certainly turn on you when released. The priest I know always fears the mob immeditaly in order to pick it up again. This requires that you know where you are and where the mob it, where you can LOS it if you need to bring it to you, or quick reactions running to if to fear if needed. As always you need to know whats around you...

And yes: the priest who normally runs with me and uses MC is holy/disc. (He's not the healer tho)
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:05 am

Some of the SP i bring with and even some holy would MC already before i start the pull and pretend me to save em after :P

My suggestion goes to mind controlling Mage-Guards, you can spam their stun which is quite handy. Also from Physicians you can abuse of their Prayer of Mending which heals for ridicolous amounts in heroic.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Invisusira » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:47 am

cc? honestly?
Invisusira

Postby Sarima » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 am

Invisusira wrote:..........................................

cc? honestly?

Y'know, CC can be useful when you're dealing with mobs with annoying abilities: especially so in (heroic) MgT. The dampening magic bubbles, the heals, the random blink+AEspam, the seduce,... Tanking 5-6 mobs at once is easy sure, but tanking those MgT mobs isn't going to stop them from being annoying.
Worldie wrote:[...]omg, WotLK will seriously hurt my bran.
Sarima

Postby Invisusira » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:09 am

Of course =p

OT, I hate MC. It's more trouble than it's worth imo.
Invisusira

Postby guillex » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:55 am

Sarima wrote:
Invisusira wrote:..........................................

cc? honestly?

Y'know, CC can be useful when you're dealing with mobs with annoying abilities: especially so in (heroic) MgT. The dampening magic bubbles, the heals, the random blink+AEspam, the seduce,... Tanking 5-6 mobs at once is easy sure, but tanking those MgT mobs isn't going to stop them from being annoying.

YOU DARE QUESTION THE GREAT INVISUSIRA?!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 am

mc can be very very useful in some 5mans. Even a fully pimped out shadowpriest can do more dps by mc'ng the one in shadowlabs, or just takeover healing in mag t by grabing the blood knight, while still doing dps.

I'd rather just tank em all then have to worry about mc breaking too early tbh. MagT is something which is made easier with cc, or dps that knows what "focused fire" means
Seloei

Postby Sarima » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:51 am

Guillex wrote:YOU DARE QUESTION THE GREAT INVISUSIRA?!

It was a bit of a gamble I know... A lot of excitement and a few pee-pee droplets in my pants later I get this:
Invisusira wrote:Of course =p

Let me tell you: it wasn't worth it... Should have seen it coming but I was blinded by n44b-ambition to absolutely pwn The Master.

On topic: MC seems so much fun that I'm actually trying to level a priest to fool around with it myself... If only priests weren't so... soft.
Worldie wrote:[...]omg, WotLK will seriously hurt my bran.
Sarima

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:27 am

(: That's why I went back to leveling my paladin around level 25, hehe. (I know, SPs get fun at 40.)

On topic, Mind Control is amazing. For rough pulls, you can use it to ensure that one of the enemy mobs dies quickly (with 5 others beating on it), or you can usurp the abilities of a particularly useful mob. You can, in fact, do BOTH -- MC one, let the others kill it, and then let the tank pick up the remaining ones. Then, MC a SECOND one, and use it to start healing, or AOEing, or what-have-you.

It helps when you have a warlock with you that can chain-fear the second MC target once it breaks, heh... then again, SP + Warlock + paladin tank was one of the most interesting SL runs I was every witness to (on my hunter). In a good way -- I want a warlock/SP in my SL groups once I go there! :D
Kelaan

Postby Ehtirno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:03 am

I MC basically every humanoid pull on my spriest in MgT Heroic.

It would be ridiculus not to, seeing as the mage guard is so horribly annoying when not cc-ed, and he does pretty decent dps to boot.

AoE stun > warlock/mage mobs, and i can pretty much offtank anything loose on the fly with the damn mob.

I'm seriously considering these guys to be top of the "PWN" chart of what you can MC, right up there with the Menders in botanica.
Ehtirno

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:26 am

On the subject of MC, it has a very interesting threat mechanic.

Firstly, it acts like a taunt, meaning the priest will always have aggro when it breaks. However, as most pally tanks might have noticed, you can't taunt the mob right after the MC breaks - the taunt animation will play over the mobs head, but it will still head straight for the priest.

It seems that MC continues to generate threat for several seconds after the MC breaks, on the order of about 2k every two seconds for six seconds. Very hard to pull the mob off the priest with this kind of threat.

But the solution is simple, just HoJ the mob right as MC breaks, and (assuming the mob isn't dead by this time) you can safely taunt it when HoJ wears off.

And my favorite time to MC is of course the Menders early on in Botanica. They have a 30 minute 295 spell damage buff that everyone in the party can get. Now that makes for a fast run ;)
Lookit

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Actually it's been supposed that MC generates "illimitate" threat on that mob for the priest, so in theory if u taunt and keep it on you, basically noone can steal it from you.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Katatonia » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:45 pm

MC is great when it works, but as a spriest I find it to be far more of a liability in Magister's Terrace than it is worth. Mobs love to break early, and there's a lot of stuff in the zone that can easily interrupt a channeled ability like MC.

If the other players are really on top of things they can stop you from getting gibbed so you can recast the spell, but if I'm in a group of really good players then they shouldn't need my gimpy CC compared to the ~600 dps I lose by doing it, not to mention the fact that the main reason for spriests' existence is to give everyone else mana.

In short, MC sucks unless you're just using it to get some buff that the mob can cast.
Katatonia

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics