Priestess Delrissa - MgT heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Priestess Delrissa - MgT heroic

Postby Brickhouse » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I had been luckily PWN this instance for a while, esp. on this boss. Strap on healing gear, and loot. I had been lucky because we had really good draws on Adds.

My group today was not the best, unfortunately.

And, we drew, what I now believe to be the most difficult group:

MS Naga, The Shaman, The Rogue, and the Hunter (not too hard).

But, very likely the Naga, Shaman and Rogue are the 3 hardest ones =( Never had them all at once. I can sit here and point out the errors of our group (me, shaman healer, mage, warlock, and rogue), but damn, even when I put on my heal gear (tried mixing tanking + healing)...(I unfortunately left my DPS gear in bank - if there is such a thing).

We tried many different tactics, but in the end our failure was to keep constant control of the contest. One time, we even got 2 down, and we were still all up, but then the MS warrior killed off some people pretty quick. Our warlock and mage were quite slow to get back on sheeps, did not use any kind of fearing or frost novas, anything...I really think it was our warlocks fault =) I am not a pvper, but unless I am mistaken, other than a curse of tongues, and a few dots, warlocks bring a lot of CC to a 5v5 encounter - Howl of Terror + chain fearing.

Every additional attempt...there was a lapse by one of them, and someone else would die.

I tried stuns, arcane torrents, blessing of protection, engineering frost nova =) bubble myself, lay on hands.

Anyway, just wanted to comment - since I wouldn't believe it - it might be worth peeking at the combination before you actually do the instance. If you get this one, RESET the instance.

personally, I will try it again - for the last remaining challenge in here =)
Brickhouse

Postby Yinramu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 am

To be honest, I can't be sure what went wrong with your group that you had such problems. Right off the bat you should have only had to deal with the priestess because of the amount of CC you had.

Banish the hunter, sheep the warrior, sap the shaman, fear the rogue. Kill the Priestess off, move onto the shaman, then the rogue, then the hunter, and finally the warrior.

But, the point of your post isn't lost on me... if you're worried about that encounter, it's always a good idea to get an ideal group setup before you commit to the instance.
Yinramu

Re: Priestess Delrissa - MgT heroic

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 am

Brickhouse wrote:MS Naga, The Shaman, The Rogue, and the Hunter (not too hard).

But, very likely the Naga, Shaman and Rogue are the 3 hardest ones =( Never had them all at once. I can sit here and point out the errors of our group (me, shaman healer, mage, warlock, and rogue), but damn, even when I put on my heal gear (tried mixing tanking + healing)...(I unfortunately left my DPS gear in bank - if there is such a thing).

We tried many different tactics, but in the end our failure was to keep constant control of the contest. One time, we even got 2 down, and we were still all up, but then the MS warrior killed off some people pretty quick. Our warlock and mage were quite slow to get back on sheeps, did not use any kind of fearing or frost novas, anything...I really think it was our warlocks fault =) I am not a pvper, but unless I am mistaken, other than a curse of tongues, and a few dots, warlocks bring a lot of CC to a 5v5 encounter - Howl of Terror + chain fearing.

Every additional attempt...there was a lapse by one of them, and someone else would die.

I tried stuns, arcane torrents, blessing of protection, engineering frost nova =) bubble myself, lay on hands.

Anyway, just wanted to comment - since I wouldn't believe it - it might be worth peeking at the combination before you actually do the instance. If you get this one, RESET the instance.

personally, I will try it again - for the last remaining challenge in here =)
Sheep on the naga, you need a reliable cc... warlocks can fear one(recommend rogue) and I don't recommend banish on the hunter if the healer isn't having problems keeping people up, you can focus on turn evil instead, easier on the warlock.Curse of tongues on all casters + mana drain usually do quite well.

But yeah, this boss can be a pretty terribad or a loleezy fight(I even one-shot it on heroic with shaman and priestess and 2 demons once <3 warlocks)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Brickhouse » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:35 am

Hehe I am a little frustrated, as I had done this damn place many times in hero before the last two days. Yep, again, today I had another failure at the same place. Strange, had a half way competent group, even 1-shotted the 2nd boss, and had no wipes up until this point. But, then, nothing. stopped dead cold on this boss.

We had a hunter, warlock, shadowpriest, holy priest, and me (tankatronic). NOT having sheep or sap is a severe liability. =( really, not having sheep was killer.

We drew a different group: Naga, Rogue, Warlock, and Hunter.

In the end, I might go back to my old stardard setup: just bring 2 mages, or 1 mage and 1 rogue - then we can always take down this encounter - first try. Mind control does not work on anything, and AoE fearing (which works wonders in general, seems to be not as great here - or did my fearers just stink?).

I guess I have done it so easily in the past, I have tried to go "outside" the box and just take whomever. This is my mistake. We are talking randoms here by the way. =)
Brickhouse

Postby Ardraaken » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:32 am

One time on this we had our Warlock banish one, control one, and fear one add all at the same time...
Ardraaken

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 am

You know you can check what combo you will have by just peering down after the first 2 mage guards are dead near the entrance?

Anyhow... for that "the worst combo possible" scenario you would of had to nuke the priestess fast and hard, if you can't keep the warrior cc'd (fear/trap) then kill him, you focus on helping out with healing (since you brought that gear anyway) and just outsurvive it.

btw... if you do happen to bring a mage, sheep pull and BoP the mage while he runs back to you so he wont get insta nuked, then kill the priestess, HoJ when she starts to heal, finish her off fast, then move onto whatever you want to kill next.
Seloei

Postby Dianora » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 am

Seloei wrote:You know you can check what combo you will have by just peering down after the first 2 mage guards are dead near the entrance?

Anyhow... for that "the worst combo possible" scenario you would of had to nuke the priestess fast and hard, if you can't keep the warrior cc'd (fear/trap) then kill him, you focus on helping out with healing (since you brought that gear anyway) and just outsurvive it.

btw... if you do happen to bring a mage, sheep pull and BoP the mage while he runs back to you so he wont get insta nuked, then kill the priestess, HoJ when she starts to heal, finish her off fast, then move onto whatever you want to kill next.

You don't even need to kill anything to figure out the combination. Just step into the room before the first guards. Type /target follow by the name of the 8 possible adds. No need for rogue/druid to sneak. You can target them quite well.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:22 am

Wow. I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip. Presumably, that would let you reset a heroic instance too, right, since you haven't killed any bosses? (I bet they nerf that by making them not spawn until you get there, or making her summon them once you enter that room.)
Kelaan

Postby Lookit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 am

I'm a bit surprised the OP had any trouble at all, that seems to be just about perfect group composition for that fight.

To the other poster who mentioned having two priests, just have everyone group up in the entryway to the courtyard and have your priests rotate using fear bombs. Clear the entire room before Delrissa's room to be sure to not pick up adds. You can also have the priests mana burn Delrissa, which means you dont have to worry about her and can instead focus on the main threat in this fight, the naga warrior.

The main ingredient to success with this fight is to A) keep Delrissa from healing, either by killing her right away, keeping a rogue/shaman on her for interrupts, or manadraining her, and B) keep the naga warrior controlled, either by CC (preferable) or by bursting him down once Delrissa is no longer healing (see step A).

When you see clothies die in two hits? That's the naga warrior.

When you see the naga warrior at 80% health one minute into the fight even though he's marked as the first target? That's Delrissa healing him.
Lookit

Postby sweeney » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 am

Nope, in fact switching from heroic to normal and back is the established way to reset them in heroic, from what I've heard.

There is a bug where after a soft reset (30 min out of the instance) the door at the first boss is permalocked, but that doesn't interact with resetting Delrissa's adds really, so to date there's nothing stopping you.

The one time we've done heroic so far, we didn't bother, got 2 warrior adds, and beat the fight anyway, so it really doesn't affect me either way.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Achtung » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pm

I ran this last night without many problems, until we got to this 3rd boss.

We got the exact same combination as the OP and it just screwed us up for more wipes than I would like to count -_-

Start group was me, tree druid, lock, hunter and feral druid.
End group was me, holy priest, lock, mage and rogue.

Just got the worst combo of adds for our initial group make-up.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Seloei » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:51 pm

To reset an heroic you either tell everyone to exit, swap to normal mode, swap back to heroic mod.
But be warned, there is a rule in place that you can't enter more than 5 instances (normal or heroic) per hour. So if you overdo it, you will be locked out.

I used to just run in, stun one of the side adds, look down and run back out. Bubble if need be and see if it needed reseting or not. Unless it's a VERY bad combo (warrior+shaman) and you bring no cc, you should reset it, to get rid of atleast one of the 2
Seloei

Postby Brickhouse » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:16 pm

I did it today with my more standard group setup (2 mages) + a hunter, shaman healer and me.

The adds were the Rogue, Mage, Engineer, and Apoko (the Shaman), but with TWO competent sheepers, this encounter was rather a joke. Sheep shaman, sheep Rogue, send pet on mage, and trap the engineer.

Full dps on priestess, then full dps on mage, then full dps on engineer, then full dps on rogue, and full dps on shaman. It was like picking cherries from a tree.

I run this heroic almost daily, and I have to say the difference between 2 mages and none in heroic mode is rather spectacular. I think I did do it once with a guild run with 2 shadow priest + 1 mage, and it also went flawlessly. But, for random groups in heroic mode, 2 mages are almost standard. If you are desperate to go, perhaps a Rogue will do.

Also, what a spectacular difference the grouping makes. I am convinced that the group I ran into the other day was the four hardest Adds, all at once: MS Naga Warrior, Rogue, Shaman and Hunter. This group is definitely beatable, like everything in the game - but unless you got really good players or mages, then it might not workout so well.

It is rather unfortunate that Blizzard made this instance (which I do admit, find rather fun) so biased towards certain classes =( The sheer difficulty makes otherwise competent players shy away from joining random groups - I mean, I don't blame them. I have gotten all the loot I want from heroic, and still have 10k more reputation to grind. After I get exhalted, I doubt I will come here for "easy badges."

The reason why I say it is unfortunate, is that I wouldn't mind getting exhalted with both my shaman + priest, but it looks like I am going to go retro, and spec healing on both...melee shaman and shadow priest, while they work, it is A LOT, LOT harder to find groups - and heroic groups are pretty much impossible unless I find a spare guild tank.

I am sure Ret paladins feel this pain as well.

Anyway good luck and enjoy the game =)

I will be checking from now on what I get - for Adds on 3rd Boss. If I get that bad group, and I do not have 2 mages, I will just simply reset it.
Brickhouse

Postby 2ndNin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:36 am

We rarely CC the rogue, the Nage, the shaman and the naked guy in a dress all are first targets, the demons for me / locks, but the rogue doesn't seem to do a lot, he runs around, hits stuff and doesn't seem to have killed anyone yet.

Does he actually do anything scary or is he like the mage?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:58 am

2ndNin wrote:We rarely CC the rogue, the Nage, the shaman and the naked guy in a dress all are first targets, the demons for me / locks, but the rogue doesn't seem to do a lot, he runs around, hits stuff and doesn't seem to have killed anyone yet.

Does he actually do anything scary or is he like the mage?
Kick.
That's enough reason for me.

He also gouges, blinds, kidney shots.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics