which heroics aoe-able, which not? a healer's question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Nemuria » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:01 am

Cearn wrote:
Nemuria wrote:From my pov this gauntlet was designed for AOE. [...]

From my point of view, your point of view fails.
the gauntlet is designed for proper focus.

I mean AOE tanking, not expecting the group to AOE the pack. They still focus fire on the clothies first, especially the one that pops elemental. If one of them is able to CC in fight is ok, but I won't let the doubt on who gets aggro first.
I am not saying you have to AOE tank all heroics since it is sometimes impossible (for example 2 destroyers or 2 steam vault naga)
Nemuria

Postby Mzi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:31 pm

Just think of it like mob groups outside of an instance. If a mob can fear and you dont have fear ward/tremor totem CC is useful. If the mob can MC CC is useful. If the mob is a caster and you dont have an LoS spot CC may* be useful. I said "may" because if it is a single caster in a pack (Netherbinders Mech, Wavecasters Arc, Darkcasters SH) just snuggle up next to it and wack on a melee.
Mzi

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:37 pm

With the proper gear every heroic can be AoE'd. I aoe tank every heroic and all of karazhan with zero cc. Which heroics can be aoe'd at what gear level is more of a feel thing. Mobs that make it harder to AoE are casters, fear mobs, and mind control mobs. Depending on how many there are in a particular pull can make all the difference.

The tank just has to feel it out, it will probably result in a wipe or two, but it is part of the learning process. It helps to have a healer that you run with all the time also, the two of you can discuss how pulls went, and adjust how you want to do the next pulls.

For example when I first did heroic slave pens in all blues and a couple epics I had to use three cc for the large pulls between the second and third bosses. In gear slightly less than what I have now I was able to AoE everything, because I can soak the damage I take from behind while feared without much difficulty.

Another example, when I first did heroic botanica the three man pulls with a mender and two others I couldn't aoe tank due to the instant nature damage attacks they do. It was just too much. Now I pull the room with Laj in it and the room before it by the room.

Just talk with your tank and feel out what you can and cannot do as you two both gear up.
Holyfuri

Postby Aerfalle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Yes, most of them can be, depending on the gear of the tank/healer.

I'd consider Heroic MgT to be an exception... of course it CAN be aoe tanked, but that's not smart.

A good tank will know when to be safe and use cc. Once you're reasonably geared, cc is reserved for annoying mobs or undergeared healers.
Aerfalle

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:51 am

MgT is very aoeable with T4.5 Badge gear tank healer and dps, by preference sheep the mage guards as those give you the most headaches but beyond that the good old fashioned run in, hit consecrate, go make coffee technique still works.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby turion350 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 am

In my opinion, Heroic mech is a cinch as a pally tank. Its the first thing we do when i log on to farm 4 quick badges. The gauntlet inst bad if you know it, i always tell them the physician first since he is in blue robes and i can build aggro on him as i mark the other mobs. mark a kill order, have it followed and throw a stun onto the netherbinders so they cant summon their little dudes in between consecrates. the summoned dudes usually make a b-line towards the healer. my healers never seem to have much trouble keeping me up in there, usually easier than our warrior tank. I agree with everyone here that said it is probably the dps, not the tank. One other thing to do is if you feel your tank is taking too much damage, pally, warrior, or druid, have a mage or hunter with you to get rid of the fire shield.

The fire is the only thing that can sometimes make those pulls interesting, as armor has no protection against it.
Teurion of Kael'thas
Lvl 80 Human
turion350

Postby Cosmoz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:20 pm

nowdays I AOE all Heroics. except MgT, or well, I just started to AOE big parts of it. if you can pull the casters to a corner, aoe it. if you cant, then you will die. Im a bloodelf tho, and this makes life a lot easier for me.
so I did say i AOE 99% of all pulls in all Heroics. Botanica and shattered halls (witch I run a LOT for badges) I usualy pull 2 groups at a time to speed things up. (usualy run with guildhealer or irl friend healers, 2k++ healing)
solo tank and aoe full kara as well. CC is overrated. and slows things down. and ruins my mana regen :(
Cosmoz

Postby Cosmoz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:13 pm

from now on MgT is 100% aoe as well. :P
Cosmoz

Postby Dellevin » Fri May 02, 2008 9:52 am

Cosmoz wrote:from now on MgT is 100% aoe as well. :P

In full t6 it's AoE tankable and DPS-able. In fact that made it so laughably easy for our group that I'm sure it can be done with less gear.
Dellevin

Postby Cosmoz » Fri May 02, 2008 10:37 am

Dellevin wrote:
Cosmoz wrote:from now on MgT is 100% aoe as well. :P

In full t6 it's AoE tankable and DPS-able. In fact that made it so laughably easy for our group that I'm sure it can be done with less gear.

it can. at least me as tank. healer has mostly t6 tho.
Cosmoz

Previous

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics