Remove Advertisements

Easiest heroic? Easiest badges?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Lookit » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:06 pm

For the combination of easiest trash and by far easiest bosses, I go Botanica. The bonus is that it's 5 badges.

I had a hard time when I started tanking heroics in blues, but here are some tips:

Get the group to work with you to help keep you alive. This means asking the warlock to break out his imp for the huge stamina buff instead of sacrificing his succy or whatever. Him doing leet dps doesn't mean jack if the tank is dead.

On hard hitting mobs (the big pairs of naga that can't be CC'd in Slave Pens come to mind) have a warlock use Curse of Weakness or a warrior use Thunderclap/Demo shout to reduce their AP. It makes a big difference. In the case of CoW, have the lock put it up on the target that will be killed second, so that you get more use out of it.

Ask rogues to be on top of spell interrupts (Charged Fist anyone?) and also ask them to use kidney shot instead of other finishers on particularly hard hitting mobs. A 6 second stun that halts incoming damage to the tank contributes a lot more to a smooth run than a 2k rupture or eviscerate.

Basically, approach it from the angle that if you all work together as a team instead of focusing on "big numbers woohoo leet dps" it can be a nice smooth run :)
Lookit

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 am

Lookit wrote:In the case of CoW, have the lock put it up on the target that will be killed second, so that you get more use out of it.

Ask rogues to be on top of spell interrupts (Charged Fist anyone?) and also ask them to use kidney shot instead of other finishers on particularly hard hitting mobs

Awesome advice, thanks! :) The explanation about "we want a nice smooth run, so big numbers aren't such a big deal" is a good one.
Kelaan

Postby Radon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:21 am

One tip to make Patheleon gauntlet easier: if you have a priest, tell him MC the last mob on each wave, so that you get out of combat enough long to eat&drink and new wave will not urge. This makes the gauntlet ridicilously easy.
Radon

Postby Tifastrife » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:47 pm

ignaro wrote:
Oh Reeeeaally...? wrote:Keep in mind that you can also get Badges outside of instances now (such as some dailies I think?) - I'm not sure of the entire list, but I would look some of those up.

This is true, any daily that rewards the Shattered Sun Supplies has a chance to have a badge inside. I think the higher your rep the more likely it is. I am lazy and haven't gotten one, my friends is revered and has gotten 6 so far.
Tifastrife

Postby Aerfalle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:42 pm

As long as you stack the group (lock + interrupter, and then a mage is nice to help out a little), Mech is the easiest heroic.

My first heroic was Ramps, which I found very difficult because there are so many tough pulls (you essentially have to already know the place in normal) and then Sethekk, which wasn't hard, but doing Mech afterwards I was surprised how incredibly easy it felt.

Bot can actually be quite tough IMO. The bosses are easy (except maybe the demon), but there are some tough trash pulls.
Aerfalle

Postby Ariashley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 am

Mizak wrote:H Mech...I like it a lot. Warlock defintely helps, but isn't necessary. Actually what I feel is even more important than a lock is either a rogue, warrior, or shaman to interrupt the Charged Fists. It's 4 badges, but realistically it's only 3 badges, as most groups end up leaving/quitting on Sepethrea. You have a chance at getting a Sun Eater here as well.

People still leave on Sepethrea? Haven't had that happen yet. I've run it on heroic about 5 times since I've hit 70 and the most we've had to try that fight is twice. Always get it on the 2nd try. It is easier to do 3 of the pulls with a warlock. That fight is much easier since the nerf. When I was still doing a lot of heroics on my rogue and the elementals were still as fast as you are, my guild would not leave that place til we killed her, just because we could.

My preferred order is Mech, Bot (if I have a mage), Slave Pens and UB. They're the easiest. However, I haven't even run any of the others on heroic yet on my paladin (just on my rogue). When I accumulate some more gear I probably will, just because I want to be able to do them.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Lookit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am

The key to Sepethrea is this:

Aside from avoiding the fire, which is fairly easy to do now, there are two abilities to watch out for.

One is her dragon breath, which will disorient you for a few seconds and send her chasing after the second highest on the threat table. Let people know that they'll need to be on the ball with any survival abilities when this happens to them, such as vanish, iceblock, bubble etc. I believe your healer can also cleanse it, which if they are fast makes it a non-issue.

The second abilities is her knockback, which is a partial aggro dump. If you get knockbacked and she doesn't switch targets, just get back to her and keep tanking: you were high enough on threat to not lose her.

If she does switch targets when you get knockbacked, you'll want to immediately taunt her. If for some reason you have your taunt on cooldown, someone is probably going to die :)

She can be tricky, but our ranged taunt really makes this a pally-friendly fight.
Lookit

Postby Hearthy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:35 pm

Lookit wrote:If she does switch targets when you get knockbacked, you'll want to immediately taunt her. If for some reason you have your taunt on cooldown, someone is probably going to die :)

A target-of-target macro for Blessing of Protection is great for this.
Hearthy

Postby MichaelBerea » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:07 pm

I was alternating between healing and tanking Heroic Mech for a couple of months and I noticed a particularly on-the-ball warrior friend NEVER lost aggro when tanking Sepethrea.
I realized to do the same I needed a dps’er to interrupt the knockback. We had a rogue who focused on kicking while Sepethrea cast the knockback.
We downed her easily even though I still got knocked back twice. The Dragon’s Breath really did not seem to make me lose aggro often enough to matter. It was the constant knockback that had been making it tough.

On the original topic, I believe Karazhan is the easiest way to get badges if your group can clear it.

The easiest Heroics for me were Slave Pens, Blood Furnace and Mechenar.

Heroic Sethekk Halls, Botanica, Underbog and Ramparts become easy when someone knew the trash well and we had good cc. Class composition of your dps does matter for them. Slightly better gear is needed, but blues with a few BoE/crafted epics is fine.

Heroic Shattered Halls requires good gear on the tankadin, a highly skilled healer and dps who are capable of listening to instructions.
Heroic Black Morass requires that plus decent gear on the dps.
It is definitely possible to clear Karazhan and then suffer a wipefest with 5 of those people in HBM or HShatH.

Don’t forget rep rewards when chosing which heroic to run. For example, the shield from KT rep is easy to get. The spell damage mace from LC rep is not too difficult.
MichaelBerea

Postby Zeruvar » Sat May 03, 2008 6:22 am

Hands down, Heroic SP is one of the easiest. And yes, UB is a little harder by comparison (those 2 bog lords before Umberfen was a pain in the ass to tank when I tried Heroic UB the first time) but if you can tank those (or have a hunter kite one) its 4 badges right there.

Here's my 2c on which heroics to avoid for now though, Definitely dont try SLabs and Arcatraz. Unless your experienced enough to handle the pulls using LoS to get the casters, Id hold up on those instances. BM also, the 2nd boss can rip you to shreds if your not yet ready. Same with Durnholde.

On a side note, if you ever get to the point where you feel confident enough to tank SHalls, do it everyday. Its one of the dungeons where AoE tanking shines. I've yet had to have any problems starting a Shattered Halls run in my guild if we had the people on. Thats an easy 5 badges barring retard checks. (which isnt too bad every now and then, its fun trying to AoE Mob the gauntlet after Netherkurse, then have the mobs AoE feared XD)
Zeruvar

Postby Ariashley » Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 am

MichaelBerea wrote:Heroic Shattered Halls requires good gear on the tankadin, a highly skilled healer and dps who are capable of listening to instructions.

Did this one for the first time on my paladin this weekend. Pretty fun. I hadn't done the regular either and at least 3 of us in the party got all the quests for regular and the heroic quest done during the run and I think it was about 100g. Good stuff.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Pane » Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 am

Don't over-emphasize uncrush for karazhan offtanking.

I went into kara as offtank last night, uncritable but still not uncrushable. Tanked attumen while horsie was being killed, tanked a moroes add & kept at 2nd on threatlist, tanked Juliana, ate the 5k bolts from Curator.

At no point was I a liability, and I walked out with exactly 15 badges (we stopped after chess) and with Maiden's choker. Now I AM uncrushable :)

But I do have more health than you, and that is probably gonna be a bigger issue as offtank.
Pane

Postby Talmus » Thu May 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Dakiros wrote:
ignaro wrote:
Oh Reeeeaally...? wrote:Keep in mind that you can also get Badges outside of instances now (such as some dailies I think?) - I'm not sure of the entire list, but I would look some of those up.

First, what a response!-- I should've asked earlier, thanks so much guys!

I looked up Badges of Justice and I can't find what you're talking about... seems instances are the only way to get 'em.

I didn't realize how many badges dropped in Kara-- seems like whenever I can, I should jump in as an OT with my guild and if they're not going/don't have a spot for me, Heroic Mech is probably the way to go. What do you guys think?

Any other advice on getting uncrushable? Playing the AH has made me rather rich so I've been able to buy up a lot of my stuff-- Nethercleft on Felsteel Legs FTW-- so any BoE's you can recommend that I may have missed would be much appreciated!

Armory link:
~NBCNitlyNews on Anvilmar

Some of the new Sunwell daily quests can potentially give you a badge in the reward bag they give but the drop rate isn't good enough to rely on them as a source of badges.

Just wanted to toss in my 2 cents on my experience. I'm in a really small guild and outleveled everyone that I played with in the guild. As such most of my gearing up at 70 these last 3-4 weeks has been done via solo grinding the SSO rep and getting the SSO reward bags. I've probably done them every week day for about 3 weeks now for a total of about 75 reward bags and gotten 9 badges. So yes, you can do this to get your libram but it will take about 4-6 weeks depending on your luck. The more important part is that if you pair this with using the proceeds from all of your dailies to buy up Mark of Sargeras/Fel Armaments you can make some serious gear inroads solo. The Aldor chestplate and shoulder enchants along with the SSO spell damage weapon, head enchant, and shield can go a long way toward gearing you up for heroics if circumstances keep you from doing heroics/Kara enough to get geared up. Long-term obviously the goal is to be able to do those things but when real life/guild makeup get in the way SSO/Aldor are doable solo, bring in *some* badges, and can get you into decent heroic gear without relying on others to help you get there.
Talmus

Postby Kelaan » Thu May 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I used the money from the SSO->Exalted grind (pretty much entirely via dailies) to fund leveling Engineering and making the Tankatronic goggles. I think I actually ended up with money left over, but that may be due to cannibalizing resources from other toons on my account. ;) (What's my hunter need? Arrows and spare bag space.)
Kelaan

Postby Whitehope » Mon May 19, 2008 3:53 am

At my gear level, it seems that heroic UB and heroic Bot are the two easiest heroics. Can easily finish either or in under an hour, and one is 4 badges and the other is 5 (more if either is the daily). Heroic Sethekk really doesn't feel that bad either.

I'm not that fond of heroic SP, even though a lot of people seem to like it. Those crabs still hit like trucks, and there can be some problematic pulls near the end (Tank getting mc'd FTL)

I don't particularly like SL these days. The Refractory room with the shadow priests still gives me cold sweats. I got facemelted in under 3 seconds one time.

No one seems to like crypts that much. It seems to be the daily heroic on Dalaran at least 3 times a week, and everyone pretty much just skips it. Probably because it's only worth two badges.
Whitehope

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics