threat sets for heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

threat sets for heroics?

Postby rozakk » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:20 am

Wasnt sure if this should go here or in gear forum.
I think other (raiding) paladins have ran into this problem, where they outgear a zone and end up going slower because of the lack of mana return. Having not done heroics where i actually had to use much mana for threat in a while(doing mostly pugs), it wasnt an issue for me until 2.4.
Now with t6 guildies i have to push harder on threat, and the result is sitting around drinking wihle my group goes angry.

I've been trying to scale gear down /wear spell dmg but it seems tricky because there are times where sometimes i get bursted low even now i think, and i dont want to trade gear for deaths..basically i havent found a good setup yet. Anyone else have a separate gearset they use for 5mans and if so link it?
rozakk

Postby dab » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:33 am

I try to use stamina gear over avoidance gear. That way I take more hits, thus get healed more. I don't die, because I still have high effective health.

For example use 2 stamina trinkets instead of avoidance trinkets.
ImageImage
dab

Postby inthedrops » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:31 am

I wear my highest spell damage gear set and pretty much ignore my other stats except to ensure that I have enough health. This pretty much solves my mana problem since I don't have to drop very many concecrates. It happens to have a decent amount of dodge too but my BV is very very low :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby UMIO » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:20 am

couldn't you just pull more meaning more damage taken and more mana gained?
UMIO

Postby Aloette » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:24 pm

^ your avatar disturbs me

To the OP, it really depends on what your healer is capable of doing. if you're pulling 2 groups, or wearing your stamina or threat set instead of your mitigation or blockvalue set, the healer may just not have the gear or skill to keep you alive.

another thing you can do to really lower your mana useage is to use rank 4 consecrate. I believe it still recieves something like 93% of your total spelldamage, and it costs quite a bit less of mana, and should be sufficient to hold aggro on the mobs you are not DPsing.

Also, I find that I can, with certain groups, avoid judging the 3rd and 4th mobs in a pull, and sometimes even the 2nd. AS, holy shield and consecrate have built enough of a threat lead that judging isn't necessary, so you can save mana by not having to reseal/judge each target. Obviously this doesn't work too well on caster mobs, because they're typically using up holy shield charges.
Aloette

Postby Jasari » Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 am

On 3-4 mob pulls, use seal of wisdom on the last mob or two rather than righteousness. As long as your group isn't AOEing everything, you should have enough threat by the time you get to the last mob in a pull that you can get some mana back with wisdom. Bringing a shadow priest along can also help a lot with mana, or using the mp5/stam food (blackened sporefish I believe), or mana oil can help the run go quicker. Another technique I've used is having a mod/macro to quickly remove all your gear and put it back on. If you do this between pulls and then have your healer heal you back up you can get a little mana back.
Jasari

Postby kensanity » Mon May 12, 2008 6:52 pm

i rarely do this with my pally but as a priest healer many times pally tanks have warned me while in combat that they would sit to eat a crit or two and to be sure to keep em up, that way they ensure they take a hefty amount of damage and get healed.

one pally i ran with would itemswap out low stam gear in between pulls so that I would have to heal back 7-8k life back before the next pull. Lazy pallytanks.
kensanity

Postby sweeney » Mon May 12, 2008 10:08 pm

I use Outfitter and swap between my "trash threat" (max spelldamage, 486 def) and "trash balanced" (basically the best gearing I have w/o considering uncrushability) a lot in heroics. I also fiddle with what shield I'm wearing during pulls if I want to tweak what damage I'm taking. It's probably overkill, but it passes the time. :)

After you run a place for a while you'll notice which packs hit hard and that's when you want to swap threat for survivability. For instance, it's riskier to tank the various dual warrior pulls you run into in heroics in threat gear, especially the ones that stun. And those are fairly short fights so running OOM isn't much of an issue.

Another example (not that it's a particularly scary one) is the bogstrok pulls in Slave Pens -- the two greaters hit for 2k or so a pop, the others for maybe 500. Burning one down first and CC'ing or even just stunning the other makes those fights easier to burn through in threat gear.

If I'm really going OOM I'll switch to a funky "high block rating, mediocre block value" set; in that getup I take a pretty large amount of damage but it's not very spiky. That's also handy for things like Lower Kara trash where you don't mind giving up a little threat to just keep pulling.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby ldeboer » Mon May 12, 2008 11:41 pm

kensanity wrote:i rarely do this with my pally but as a priest healer many times pally tanks have warned me while in combat that they would sit to eat a crit or two and to be sure to keep em up, that way they ensure they take a hefty amount of damage and get healed.

You can just turn your back on them rather that sitting ... I do it all the time particually when u down to last add and want mana for next pull
ldeboer

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics