Remove Advertisements

Holy Pally telling me how to Mark.....Shadow Labs

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Holy Pally telling me how to Mark.....Shadow Labs

Postby Bettiepage » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I am looking for a bit of understanding here. We were at the start of the last corridor to Murmur. I had marked as usual, Summoner was to die second and the caster who uses mind control was to die first. The Holy Pally says..."Kill the summoner first." I say, "But the Caster MC's. He needs to die first." HP: "The summoner summons." and so on. So, like a Dumbass, I remark as he said, Holy Frisbee and JoR on Summoner. I get a HS off and was just about to turn and Hammer the caster, I get MC'd. Short story, this resulted in a wipe.
When we all came back, I marked as I had it before. We survived that time with the MC going off when he had somewhere in the vicinity of 20% life left and the rest of the group killed him. Next grp..HP "kill Summoner guys" What was this guys beef? Did the first pull tell him that the other guy needed to die first. I can clearly get the summoned add on me if needed (RD/ Conc..so on). Was I wrong to mark it that way or are you supposed to kill the Summoner first? :? Thanks.
I am the arm of the Light in battle. I know my path, can you say the same?
Bettiepage

Postby guillex » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Were you the group leader? Were you marking?

It's your show. Tell him to keep you alive; that's all he has to do.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Bettiepage » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Thank you, all I needed to know.
Bettiepage

Postby jere » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 am

You might want to look at resizing your avatar if you get the chance. It is a wee bit on the large size.
jere

Postby Warrender » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:02 am

jere wrote:You might want to look at resizing your avatar if you get the chance. It is a wee bit on the large size.

Doesn't even look like Bettie Page either. :(
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Laikar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am

Warrender wrote:
jere wrote:You might want to look at resizing your avatar if you get the chance. It is a wee bit on the large size.

Doesn't even look like Bettie Page either. :(

Whatever it looks like, big as it is.. awesome pic... wonder what the source is.
"We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies, like fools we clung to the old hatreds, and fought as we had for generations."
Laikar

Postby ulushnar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 am

Huge avatar is huge.

Plus this work pretty much covers marking in SL:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170 ... ivator.jpg
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Signum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:01 am

When I tank SL, I mark the Summoner as first and the Spellbinder as second. If the Summoner is left unchecked, he'll summon adds. If the Spellbinder is left unchecked, he'll MC someone, which, if you have competent groupmates, can be quickly kicked/stunned/counterspelled after the fact with minimal consequence. If I'm not the one MC'ed, then I can quite easily deal with the MC.

That's my take on those pulls, at least. I don't think there's any one way that you have to do it; just do it how you're comfortable, and ignore people who tell you otherwise.
Signum

Postby Bettiepage » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:40 am

Sorry for the big pic, My comp at work will not let me onto the websites to resize..lol :x Thanks for your input, I will try to grp with a class that can interrupt next time or ride out the MC.

As for the Pictures of Betty Page, all the ones I have I can not post.... :oops:
Cheers,
Bettiepage

Postby sweeney » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 pm

I'd much rather have an extra vanilla mob summoned than be MC'ed. Losing all aggro when you're tanking a big group makes me very sad.

Best bet in general is to burn one down and have stuns/interrupts on the other one until you get to them. HoJ is very handy to help out, although typically I forget to use it all the time.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Aeverius » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Ulushnar wrote:Huge avatar is huge.

Plus this work pretty much covers marking in SL:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170 ... ivator.jpg

I laughed at this for a good twenty seconds. I think it's the presentation that makes it so amusing; well done, sir.

@ OP: Normally summoners are a bigger deal with tanks who won't, you know, be tanking everything in sight anyway. I *like* adds, as long as they come over and hit me. Other tanks, not so much, I imagine.

"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Aeverius

Postby Achtung » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:18 pm

I usually burn the MC guys first, simply because the summoners have such a long cast time on their summon that when they start to cast I just HoJ them, and by the time it wears off the MC is dead and he's the next target. Plus I use arcane torrent liberally, which is something I guess you alliance pallies can't take advantage of. Generally with those two abilities (assuming we dont have a rogue or anything that can interrupt) it's easy enough to tie down the summoner while we quickly burn the MCer.

Oh yeah, and tell the healer to stfu. i treat it the same way as i treat dps who don't wait for a little bit of threat and just open fire as soon as i throw AS, "if you wanna tank this instance, be my guest, otherwise wait until the mobs are actually in my consecrate/beating on me before you arc up".

Was in a heroic BF run recently and this pug shammy was just going balls out as soon as I initiated a pull. he'd invariably pull a mob and i got sick of having to taunt off him, so on one pack i just didn't taunt and the healer just didn't heal him and he got wtfpwned. he stopped doing it after that :)
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Bettiepage » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:56 am

Yeah, I'm going to have to start being an ass when they do that. Just today we were in Slave Pens [Heroic] and we had a Lock and Mage pull Quagg off me 3 times. This gets annoying quick. So I will let ppl at the start know that if they pull from me once, I know it is an accident....but more than 2 times, have fun running back or finding a new tank. :lol:
Bettiepage

Postby Kinrain » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:06 am

I have a couple of macro's for Pugs

1. I'm a protection Paladin, that means I tank everything at once and WANT them all to be hitting me. I frontload a lot of threat so the bonus is as soon as you see the floor light up with my first Consecration you can pretty much go DPS crazy.

2. Remember what I said about waiting for Consecration? If you attack before the first one goes off you might pull aggro. Do it once and i'll taunt the mob off you (run TO me not away please) And if you do it twice? 'You Yank it You Tank It'.

Makes most groups laugh, I had one healer tell a Mage who didn't get it 'You Yanked it, you got to tank it. Want a rez now?'
Kinrain

Postby Riyan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 am

Tbh, it doesn't matter which one you kill first as long as you pay attention. Counterspell the summon or counterspell/interrupt/cleanse the MC. Unless you're running in an undergeared group, either shouldn't be too hard.
Riyan

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics