Kael is insanely hard

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kael is insanely hard

Postby thejuice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 am

Ok does anyone else find Kael in normal Magister's Terrace really difficult? ive wiped on him 20 times today. heres a brief summary of all my runs:

*keep in mind im only discussing the kael fight, not the rest of the instance, which went pretty smoothly.

Run 1:
Me
Resto shammy
Shad priest
enchance shammy
ret pally

noob dps kept dying to the orbs and the shammy had a hard time healing us.

run 2:
me
resto druid
mage
lock
hunter

once again, the dps was retarded and the person who was kiting the adds just stood there and got roasted by them. i was the only one who made it through the air phase.

run 3:
me
arms warr
resto druid
mage
warlock

i tried having the warr tank kael so he could spellreflect, and i would pick up the adds. once again, the dps died in the air phase almost instantaneously.

so on all these runs, it seemed our dps was dying way too easily in the air phase. i mean, it seemed that there was way too much mass group damage to keep up with.

so i'm wondering what your guys' thoughts are about this, from a tankadin perspective.

also wondering if kaels firebolts are interruptible, because i just ate them, and it doesnt seem that fire resist aura helped much, i l ooked in my combat log and did not see even a partially resisted bolt.
thejuice

Postby Bludusk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:06 am

The fireballs are interruptable, thankfully.
Bludusk

Postby holysdrjr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:11 am

I never had any interrupts for the fireballs :-( it would have been nice though.

RestoDroods are probably the bets healers for this fight. They have the stackable HoT, and big heals when they land...

I ran it 3 times today, once with a shammy, couldn't get it, once with a drood, one shot, once with a priest, THE PRIEST kept dying. Pissed me off... So told him to switch to PvP gear and I'll help him heal if he could make it to the first gravity defying leap. Well, he did, then died, so I healed the rest, with my 1.5 second FoL for about 300 hp... just enough to keep the DPS alive to finish him off.

I threw 2 big heals when we landed and was OOM, but the DPS had enough health to get him down in the second eternal free fall.
holysdrjr

Postby devilfrmhell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 am

Bludusk wrote:The fireballs are interruptable, thankfully.

I wonder can you do this? When the fireball is on the air, divine shield, immume, cancel shield... :?:
devilfrmhell

Postby luminum » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 am

I'm looking forward to this now! :D is it true that the trash is hard, or are a lot of people just whining at a challenge?
luminum

Postby Noradin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 am

devilfrmhell wrote:
Bludusk wrote:The fireballs are interruptable, thankfully.

I wonder can you do this? When the fireball is on the air, divine shield, immume, cancel shield... :?:

Yes.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby thejuice » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:27 am

luminum wrote:I'm looking forward to this now! :D is it true that the trash is hard, or are a lot of people just whining at a challenge?

I've only played it on normal, finally downed kael after the bajillionth attempt today, but yeah, you can say that the trash is hard. As a pally tank, it hurts to admit that you will need CC for this. there are a lot of caster mobs, on average half of every pull are caster mobs. and these arent the smart caster mobs either. theyre the kind that sit there and mindlessly spam searing pain and whatnot. luckily, thanks to the blood elf architecture, there are some really nice places to LoS the casters.

An average pull conists of:
1 mage mob, stacks spell haste buff on themselves
1 warlock mob, spams fire spells, comes with an imp
1 pally mob, usually lets out a holy light or 2 if not controlled.

later on, more mobs will be added to these pulls, such as:
1 ethereal, blinks into middle of group and AEs
1 mage-guard, they do a crazy knockback
1 succy, must be CCed or downed quickly, she seduces

as you go in further, the trash pulls get more complex and require a lot of planning and CC. the last pull before kael is insane, i usuallt just CC what we can and pull them back into the hall, and have a lock or spriest let out a fear bomb.

ironically, the first time i did it i did it with NO CC WHATSOEVER..me, 2 shammies, spriest, ret pally.
thejuice

Postby Fahsky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:02 am

Yeah, as far as tankadin-ing goes, this instance is not where you'll be shining. You need CC to survive, because the MF-ing spellcasters will wreck you. Keeping threat in the nightmare of half-CC-ed-half-killing-your-healer targets is not fun. You might feel inferior to a warrior - I kinda did. /cry

On Kael - I found Fire Resist to be pointless as well, but eh - honestly, what other aura will you use? lol You need to have someone on top of kiting that F-ing bird, & you need to get the hell away from it when it spawns too. When Kael casts his flame AoE that lights up the ground, get off it. Tell people they can swim up & down, not just back & forth - GTFO of the arcane bubbles. Once you have those things down, & a responsible healer for yourself, you're good to go.
Fahsky

Postby Mortehl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:07 am

Kael was lol mode for us. We dropped him to 44% before he gravity lapsed on both normal and heroic. But we've kicked his ass in prime time so we knew what to expect.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby jere » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:51 am

The biggest challenge for us was we had to slow our DPS down. The first few tries we were killing him so quickly that we didn't kill the bird/egg quickly enough before he went into gravity lapse.

Once we paced ourselves and got that bird/egg down, finishing off Kael was easy mode. I honestly didn't even notice a fireball. Does it do a lot of damage or something?
jere

Postby Holyfuri » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:00 am

I will be doing heroic Mag Ter today, since I did not have time yesterday after a mag's run to see how nerfed it is and a nice run in hyjal. However I found the normal mode very.... interesting

Group was in high end T5 gear.

Me tanking
Paladin healer with 2100 healing
Rogue
Mage
Warlock

The instance overall went smoothly and I was able to aoe every pull in there, however it was MUCH rougher than I expected in a non-heroic. There are alot of casters in there. We wiped on kael about 4 times before we got it down even with a well geared group.

The fact is this is an extremely difficult fight for a paladin healer from what I saw. For him to stand still and heal the dps usually means coming dangerously close to an orb, they move pretty quickly.

The time we downed him We first had to control our dps to kill the pheonix and egg right before he casts gravity lapse, the lock took care of himself to heal himself, and I went on heal duty for the time being and only then did we barely keep everyone up.

On another note I just tanked the pheonix with kael on normal mode, nothing too difficult, but I wouldn't recommend it without a good healer.

I have to admit I am kind of dreading heroic mode, having to use cc /cringe and dealing with kael again....
Holyfuri

Postby guillex » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 am

Went in for the first time ever last night (hadn't been on the PTR), had my wife talking to me in one ear, the guild on vent in the other, and we had no problems.

Just gtfo when the gravity lapse hits. He's tank and spank phase 1, then swim to the door ... if you're melee, wait until the orbs get close, swim to him and attack for a bit (just don't touch the floor). When he gets tired, go balls to the wall... Do the same thing until he's dead.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Balanor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 am

luminum wrote:I'm looking forward to this now! :D is it true that the trash is hard, or are a lot of people just whining at a challenge?
Trash is on par with a heroic meaning that its hard for me to tank more than 2 or 3 at a time so I found CC a necessary evil. Had a hunter and mage in the group so with that amount of CC, none of the trash was particularly troublesome.

We had a tough time on the third boss as well as it seems the agro tables kept getting wiped and all the mobs are taunt immune. Took us 3 wipes to finally get the third boss down.

Kael is tough but key is getting heals away while avoiding the orbs. That responsibility is on the healer and DPS. We only tried 4 times and got him down to 5% the last two before we had to call it quits due to time.

I would rate the difficulty of this dungeon on par with heroic botanica or heroic SL.
Balanor

Postby Aeverius » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

Just gtfo when the gravity lapse hits. He's tank and spank phase 1, then swim to the door ... if you're melee, wait until the orbs get close, swim to him and attack for a bit (just don't touch the floor). When he gets tired, go balls to the wall... Do the same thing until he's dead.

Figuring this out was the key to the fight for me. I just toss an AS as soon as he does it, then avoid the area until gravity returns.

"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Aeverius

MgT was fine for me

Postby Taijitu » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am

I ran with my normal bunch of players that I do heroics with, they are in another high end raiding guild. We one shotted everything on normal, then went through it on heroic. Only problem we had was second boss, but that was due to one of the dps having his internet lagged by his roommates. Once he went and yelled at them, we killed the boss the next attempt. We one shotted 1st, 3rd, and 4th boss on heroic.

Had me, shaman healer, mage, rogue, and boomkin. We used both cc from the mage and rogue, sometimes just the mage cced. Kael was easy for all of us, as we had all done him in TK. We just had everyone clump up during gravity lapse for chain heal, and it was gg.

I read that Kael does the Pyroblast, I'm assuming that we can bubble through this 48k attack, but I didn't get the chance to try since we killed him before he used it.
Taijitu
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics