Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby NarfJones » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:05 am

I had every party combination available, minus a warrior. That's the only class that wasn't part of our party at any point. This gives you an idea of how long we attempted this, but the hunter that I was with has the same philosophy I do. I couldn't tell you the last time I got frustrated enough at a game to just stop playing it.

I have a very long history of playing difficult games. I love the challenge. I refuse to give because I know there is always a way to do it, if the game is designed right. I know gear wasn't the issue, because if it was, then it would only be t6 clearing this on heroic.

My group started out like this.

Me - hunter - rogue - warlock - priest

Me - hunter - mage - rogue - priest

Me - hunter - mage - paladin - Spriest

Me - hunter - mage - mage - paladin

Me - hunter - mage - rogue - paladin

All of the classes were really good at their respective cc
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Warrender » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 am

NarfJones wrote:I had every party combination available, minus a warrior. That's the only class that wasn't part of our party at any point. This gives you an idea of how long we attempted this, but the hunter that I was with has the same philosophy I do. I couldn't tell you the last time I got frustrated enough at a game to just stop playing it.

I have a very long history of playing difficult games. I love the challenge. I refuse to give because I know there is always a way to do it, if the game is designed right. I know gear wasn't the issue, because if it was, then it would only be t6 clearing this on heroic.

My group started out like this.

Me - hunter - rogue - warlock - priest

Me - hunter - mage - rogue - priest

Me - hunter - mage - paladin - Spriest

Me - hunter - mage - mage - paladin

Me - hunter - mage - rogue - paladin

All of the classes were really good at their respective cc

Were they any good at PVP though? :wink:
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Riyan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 am

vs. fury warrior, warlock, rogue, and shaman

Hunter: Have him chain trap/kite anything melee. He'll need to stay at max distance to prevent getting Intercepted if it's the Warrior.

Mage: Sheep 1, Frost nova/CoC anything melee, and counterspell casters.

Rogue: Sap 1 at start, use Blind/Gouge, Vanish+Sap again. Attack casters.

Pala: Use HoJ to stun anything that's an immediate threat (ie. healing, but also Fury Warrior 1-shotting your clothies). Don't forget you can use BoP to save your party members from melee and you can bubble too. If prot, Avenging Shield is a snare and you should use it. Either way, cleansing all debuffs you can, they hurt!

Priest: Psychic Scream whenever you can. If shadow, Mass Dispel / Mana Burn and Mind Flay melee that's being kited and Silence casters.

Warlock: Death Coil / Fear / Howl of Terror is your main friend. Use your felhunter and counterspell caster. Devour Magic on any debuffs you find. Curse of Tongues on casters, Curse of Weakness (exhaustion if available) on melee.

That's about all the advice I can think of at the moment and that's what's worked for my groups so far.

Edit: Note we didn't bother with buffs after the initial pull. Grabbing agro there is an effort in futility so I didn't bother. Simply CC as much as you can and focus fire on your main target. For us, that meant CC'ing everything but the shaman & priestess (locking down the latter with counterspells/silence/stun). After those two were down, we got to work on the rest.
Riyan

Postby NarfJones » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:20 am

The only problem with that strategy is that it leaves us with less than adequate dps going out, as everyone is concerned with cc. The other problem is that if cc isn't flawless someone in our party gets cc'd and all hell breaks loose. I normally would say that there is just something we were missing, but I just don't think that party can be beat without outgearing, and destroying it.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Riyan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 am

NarfJones wrote:The only problem with that strategy is that it leaves us with less than adequate dps going out, as everyone is concerned with cc. The other problem is that if cc isn't flawless someone in our party gets cc'd and all hell breaks loose. I normally would say that there is just something we were missing, but I just don't think that party can be beat without outgearing, and destroying it.

Not sure what the difference is between your groups and mine. We lost about 15-20% of our dps in keeping targets CC'd, but on the whole the loss was negligible.

As for outgearing, we were geared in T4/T5 gear (mostly badge loot) so I wouldn't say we outgeared it.
Riyan

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 am

Yeah....being able to put out reasonable DPS while CC'ing is a skill, and one that's very, very helpful for this fight. You won't be putting out as much as on a straight tank 'n' spank fight, but if your DPS output is stoppin altogether, your group needs some practice on maintaining DPS while CC'ing.

It's also very easy for DPS to lose focus when they're all CC'ing different targets. Making sure the all the available DPS is being focused on a single target while the CC'ing is going on is very important...the sooner your first add goes down the easier life gets. Unfocused DPS also makes it much more likely that you will break someone else's CC.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Malecandra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:44 am

NarfJones wrote:The only problem with that strategy is that it leaves us with less than adequate dps going out, as everyone is concerned with cc. The other problem is that if cc isn't flawless someone in our party gets cc'd and all hell breaks loose. I normally would say that there is just something we were missing, but I just don't think that party can be beat without outgearing, and destroying it.

Our DPS whined quite a bit about this when we did it, but we had the shaman so we had 2 healers. The only way we won was to keep everything CC'd and let the boss and shaman run themselves out of mana. Then we could single target pick them off. We had no deaths this way.

This fight is about survivability - not dps.
Malecandra

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 am

I am most reminded of the BRD tier .5 questline event. The first time I went into that event with a bunch of T3 guildies we got completely pasted because we didn't know what to expect.

I put on my healing gear for this fight. Two healing almost any configuration of adds makes this fight ridiculously easy; I've done it with CC and without. Bringing a mage or a warlock is a definite plus, but unnecessary if your party knows how to display some adaptability.

The idea of doing this on my priest with a warrior or bear tank makes me cry.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 pm

HERE IS HOW TO BEAT THE THIRD BOSS.

STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AS A BOSS FIGHT. IT IS A 5v5.

PASS GO. COLLECT YOUR TRINKET.
Invisusira

Postby jere » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Invisusira wrote:HERE IS HOW TO BEAT THE THIRD BOSS.

STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AS A BOSS FIGHT. IT IS A 5v5.

PASS GO. COLLECT YOUR TRINKET.

Don't forget LAND ON PROPERTY TAX >.<
jere

Postby Invisusira » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:45 pm

UHHH

THAT IS BEFORE GO.

ALSO I ALWAYS CALL IT LAUNDRY TAX.

OH WAIT I am thinking of Luxury Tax.

And YOU are thinking of Income Tax!
Invisusira

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:35 pm

Public service announcement: US Tax day is in 18 days.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 pm

lol I kno rite, I just remembered to do mine the other day
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:42 pm

OKAY

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT

RESTO SHAMMY
ROGUE
WARLOCK
SHIRTLESS GUY IN DRESS

THIS IS A FUCKING BULLSHIT COMBO
Invisusira

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Invisusira wrote:OKAY

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT

RESTO SHAMMY
ROGUE
WARLOCK
SHIRTLESS GUY IN DRESS

THIS IS A FUCKING BULLSHIT COMBO

Shammy
Rogue
Fury Warrior
MS Warrior

Is worse. Especially when you have no CC. And your healer is a priest.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics