magisters terrace?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Cearn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:52 am

plus, you can use them on the third boss and they got like a quadrillion more HP than the normal lady has.
Cearn

Postby Bhrimstone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:59 am

My group last night in heroic spent A LOT of time wiping on the 2nd boss, the Arcane one.

I havn't been able to determine a sound strat yet, when we all out DPS'd him, he was spawning the add so fast the DPS got wiped out from the DoT, and if we slowed it down I would randomly take massive spikes (10k+ Arcane dmg).

The only thing that i figured out that seemed to help, was to tank him at the top of the stairs, but off to 1 side and when the adds spawn pull him to the other side, and repeat. When he summons adds, he stops moving for a second or 2, so by backing out and not being caught up by the add's AOE it gives the healer a bit of a break.

But for some reason, we kept wiping with him less than 5% and the 1 kill we did finally get on him, it was down to me soloing him and as I died the last tick from my concecration was the killing blow.

any suggestions?
Bhrimstone

Postby Frickit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:01 am

Shadraak wrote:AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, :( so i wont be goign there anytime soon with my current gear i dont think :( although i've been told i underestimate myself alot didn't think i could do SL and i did it quite easially.

It was fun until I got to that 5 or 6 boss pull and we didnt have the CC to do it. But for a normal 5 man it is definitely like a heroic all the mobs are 71 72 elites. What is it like in heroic??

btw Id say your gear might be a little low but you should be able to handle the majority on normal mode.
Frickit

Postby Dianora » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 am

Bhrimstone wrote:My group last night in heroic spent A LOT of time wiping on the 2nd boss, the Arcane one.

I havn't been able to determine a sound strat yet, when we all out DPS'd him, he was spawning the add so fast the DPS got wiped out from the DoT, and if we slowed it down I would randomly take massive spikes (10k+ Arcane dmg).

The only thing that i figured out that seemed to help, was to tank him at the top of the stairs, but off to 1 side and when the adds spawn pull him to the other side, and repeat. When he summons adds, he stops moving for a second or 2, so by backing out and not being caught up by the add's AOE it gives the healer a bit of a break.

But for some reason, we kept wiping with him less than 5% and the 1 kill we did finally get on him, it was down to me soloing him and as I died the last tick from my concecration was the killing blow.

any suggestions?

Our strategy (we have fairly high dps) was to have the 2 range DPS (BM Hunter, PVP Destro warlock) take turn killing the adds (they have like 500 health) so they don't get stacked too much with the debuff. The rogue and I stay on the boss, I get some of the add kill, so I got some of the buff/debuff as well. Ignore the add at 20% (by then you should have enough buff to really go to town on him).
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Bhrimstone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:31 am

Dianora wrote:
Bhrimstone wrote:My group last night in heroic spent A LOT of time wiping on the 2nd boss, the Arcane one.

any suggestions?

Our strategy (we have fairly high dps) was to have the 2 range DPS (BM Hunter, PVP Destro warlock) take turn killing the adds (they have like 500 health) so they don't get stacked too much with the debuff. The rogue and I stay on the boss, I get some of the add kill, so I got some of the buff/debuff as well. Ignore the add at 20% (by then you should have enough buff to really go to town on him).

So have the DPS lay back a little, then got full out at 20%.

also, i think part of the issue was our healer was a PvP spec'd Disc priest with about 1600 healing.

Has anyone else seen big spikes tanking this fight? I had a few times where i'd go from 16k to 3k in less than a second.
Bhrimstone

Postby Dianora » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 am

Bhrimstone wrote:
Dianora wrote:

any suggestions?

So have the DPS lay back a little, then got full out at 20%.

also, i think part of the issue was our healer was a PvP spec'd Disc priest with about 1600 healing.

Has anyone else seen big spikes tanking this fight? I had a few times where i'd go from 16k to 3k in less than a second.

Remember, if you do the normal paladin tanking routine (Trinket->Avenger's Shield->JoTC->Holy Shield->Consecration->JoR), you're likely to kill a couple of those adds yourself. I save the Avenging Wrath so I can divine shield out of the buff/debuff.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby palouf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 am

Shadraak wrote:
Tyaera wrote:
Shadraak wrote:reg SH or heroic SH?

why don't you just go in there and find out

cause i'm working righ tnow lol and server was down all day up to 30 mins before i had to go in for training :( it's 4 hours tonight and i've still got another 45 mins.... just not sure if my character can tank it or not, not sure what the stat min's would be fore a tankadin.

You can tank the normal 5 mans theorically... but bring at least 2 cc with you...lot of casters groups...
But, the good thing is that the bosses are really close to each others...
I went with a full kara/badges group (but only melee dps) and we wiped few times, our healer was a paladin :-) ... Bring a priest, its a lot easier to maintain the group...and ranged/cc dps is a big + ...
palouf

Postby Mellithe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 am

anyone have any annoyance on the pull right before kael? The 6-7 mobs there? I did it fine the first time but hte group I had last night me (16k unbuffed uncrush uncritt), shaman (+1800 healing) 1 survival and 1 bm hunter and a fire mage had issues tehre wiping about 4 times strangely on normal
Winter is Coming
Mellithe

Postby Bhrimstone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:26 am

Mellithe wrote:anyone have any annoyance on the pull right before kael? The 6-7 mobs there? I did it fine the first time but hte group I had last night me (16k unbuffed uncrush uncritt), shaman (+1800 healing) 1 survival and 1 bm hunter and a fire mage had issues tehre wiping about 4 times strangely on normal

My casters were having LoS issues on the stairs, I used the left side of the door to break LoS and pile the mobs up, and then my priest and mage were on the right side, mage poly'd as I shielded on the pull (love the new change!!) and the hunter would hang back and draw her target back down the stairs for block.

It's a rough pull given the amount of mobs, and the narrow conditions.
Bhrimstone

Postby GothicPL » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Bhrimstone wrote:But for some reason, we kept wiping with him less than 5% and the 1 kill we did finally get on him, it was down to me soloing him and as I died the last tick from my concecration was the killing blow.

Funny, this is how I killed normal Kael - my consecrate killed him as I died myself. It is a fun and challenging fight even on normal. Our healer went down as soon as he threw us up in the air, so I healed through phase 2, and soloed him in phase 3. Good times. :D

MagT is the hardest normal instance in the game, no question about it - heroic SP is easier, in my opinion.

In heroic, I will only run it with healers and DPS I know. PUG'ed DPS couldn't kill first boss orbs in time on normal, and PUGged healer let me die on the second trash pull in the instance, quite sad, really. I haven't died in a normal instance in probably six months.

I feel that the quality of heroic drops will compensate for the instance difficulty. The sta trinket is insane, and the Cudgel is an upgrade from S1 mace, especially if you put an epic stamina gem in it. Given how much mileage we get from our tanking weapons, it makes sense to invest in an epic gem.

And for a change, it's actually nice to have a new challenging heroic.
GothicPL

Postby Khayne » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Got a group for it on heroic today (finally), and it wasn´t as bad as i would have thought after the normal. 2nd boss wiped us once, and then everyone equiped maximum stamina from pvp sets or anything, the lock for example had over 15k hp. 3rd boss wiped us once (CC´s just didn´t hold a bit on that one) and kael wiped us once (phoenix kiting mage died, and i managed to click my bubble-debubble button twice, fat 44k on face).

funny stuff was that the drops were 2 dps plate items, 2 healer plate items, and healer trinket (that last wasn´t fun one)...got myself new retri shoulders, and the holy paladin really cleared the table :) ..

Without questions i added the whole pug group to friends :D

Was pretty imba set-up though, me, lock, mage, spriest, holy paladin (ok, holy paladin could have been some other healer preferrably, but was cool)
Khayne

Postby Queycar » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:53 pm

any suggestions?

My dps told me that the damage was worse if they were grouped up. So we had me stand in the middle and my dps/heals stand in 4 seperate corners. We had 1 dps Boomkin dedicated to killing the adds...She said moonfire alone was almost enough to do it.

We really had no problem once we spread out it was very easy. Now granted this is with pretty much the best players my guild has to offer...if you roll in there on heroic with pugs...god help you :lol:
Queycar

Postby Passionario » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm

If you have good DPSers and a non-paladin healer, it can be easier to just heal through the damage dealt by the first boss's AoE than to target the crystal.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Tunnis » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Did my first run on normal with me as tank, healing priest, shadow priest, dps warr and mage (kara and pre-kara gear). Went pretty smooth. Wiped on second boss coz we tried a fast run and just ignore the adds, but they hitted all pretty hard =)

I think the loot kinda sucks tho. Only a trinket from heroic that is worth something.

Edit: Hm... my sig is not updated havn't been holy for a few weeks :)
Tunnis

Postby Shadraak » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:05 pm

palouf wrote:
Shadraak wrote:
Tyaera wrote:
Shadraak wrote:reg SH or heroic SH?

why don't you just go in there and find out

cause i'm working righ tnow lol and server was down all day up to 30 mins before i had to go in for training :( it's 4 hours tonight and i've still got another 45 mins.... just not sure if my character can tank it or not, not sure what the stat min's would be fore a tankadin.

You can tank the normal 5 mans theorically... but bring at least 2 cc with you...lot of casters groups...
But, the good thing is that the bosses are really close to each others...
I went with a full kara/badges group (but only melee dps) and we wiped few times, our healer was a paladin :-) ... Bring a priest, its a lot easier to maintain the group...and ranged/cc dps is a big + ...

well my gear has made a major imp, i now sit at 104% uncrush, over 500 def, 11.2k health, over 12k armor but i hate that i only have 4578 mana and 178 spl dmg
Shadraak

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics