Getting Beat hard in Ramps

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby digaum2003 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 am

Can those be skipped, while we take the first boss? I need badges (for the stoic guardian: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33522 ) And how's a lock going to help in these lil bastards? Don't know much about the lock class :/

Thanks for the reply :D
digaum2003

Postby Frickit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am

Arcand wrote:For your next heroic attempt, do not I say again do not do Ramparts. It's definitely not the easiest to tank. There are stunners and mortal strikers all over the place.

For your first heroic I'd suggest Slave Pens or Blood Furnace. Neither one has anything that can really wreck an undergeared tank, except maybe the Felguard Annihilators at the end of BF - and if you're desperate you can get around those with a DI suicide run into the boss room. :)

Slave pens is so easy (bring a mage)

you only need 11k hp and 485 def to do the easier heroics (ramps is among them just get used to it and you'll be fine.) 14k hp for heroics??!! please...
Frickit

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:51 am

Frickit wrote:
Arcand wrote:For your next heroic attempt, do not I say again do not do Ramparts. It's definitely not the easiest to tank. There are stunners and mortal strikers all over the place.

For your first heroic I'd suggest Slave Pens or Blood Furnace. Neither one has anything that can really wreck an undergeared tank, except maybe the Felguard Annihilators at the end of BF - and if you're desperate you can get around those with a DI suicide run into the boss room. :)

Slave pens is so easy (bring a mage)

you only need 11k hp and 485 def to do the easier heroics (ramps is among them just get used to it and you'll be fine.) 14k hp for heroics??!! please...

14k buffed armour and health. Never failed me as yardstick. As for 11k? you had better bring a good healer or a LOT of CC, cos the dogs will tear you apart with 11k health.

Bara
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 am

digaum2003 wrote:Can those be skipped, while we take the first boss? I need badges (for the stoic guardian: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33522 ) And how's a lock going to help in these lil bastards? Don't know much about the lock class :/

Thanks for the reply :D

You can bypass the 1st boss if needed. All you need is to open the cache, so kill the 2 mini bosses. A Warlock can enslave the demons so you dont have to tank anything.

Bara
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Lianamar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:48 am

digaum2003 wrote:Can those be skipped, while we take the first boss? I need badges (for the stoic guardian: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33522 ) And how's a lock going to help in these lil bastards? Don't know much about the lock class

As mentioned, warlocks can enslave one of them, which makes the fight simple.

If you don't have a warlock and you want to kill the first boss, it can generally be done by bypassing some of the mobs. You will have to kill 2 or 3 of the bombers, but that's not as bad as that huge pack to the right of the left ramp. Admittedly, this is a slower method of getting it done, but it's safer if you don't have a warlock.

To get the first boss, go up the right ramp (from the entrance). Kill the miniboss, and get the rest of the mobs on the ramp down. Go down to the bottom of the ramp and pull the boss. There's no need to kill the mobs on the far wall, they won't aggro.

After you kill the first boss, go back to the start and head up the left ramp, killing the miniboss, and then just head straight to the Cache/elevator and move on to 2nd & 3rd bosses. (Note: the 2nd boss is actually probably the hardest.)
Lianamar

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:59 am

Guillex wrote:I wouldn't say BF heroic.

Slave Pens, Steamvaults, Mech, Underbog ... All easy heroics to start out in.

I think BF was the first heroic I cleared all the way through. The orc-a-thon before the second boss is not very easy, but it's not especially hard to tank. I'm assuming the rest of your group is made up of players who don't need to be reminded to use their abilities, so when four orcs emerge from the cell things like traps, Blind, Polymorph and fear happen without any prompting.

Slave Pens I can agree with, same with Steamvault - no serious tank tests there as long as you break Karithress's fishbowls in time.

I totally disagree with sending new tanks into heroic Underbog. If your tank is wondering if he's geared enough to start heroics, those bog giants are going to knock his block off.
Arcand

Postby Frickit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 pm

oh ya the dogs... well 11k is enough for sp for sure probably mech too...i do have good healers but 14k is more than i have and ive tanked all of kara and every heroic without any problems whatsoever.
Frickit

Postby Barathorn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Frickit wrote:oh ya the dogs... well 11k is enough for sp for sure probably mech too...i do have good healers but 14k is more than i have and ive tanked all of kara and every heroic without any problems whatsoever.

Yeah I appreciate that mate, but I am saying 14k buffed, so with a warlock, priest and a food buff, it probably relates to closer to 12k unbuffed. I also agree with the point made above about heroic UB and the Bog Lords. I personally find Mech and Slave Pens suit my usual team best, but Ramparts is quick is you have a good healer and some good CC.

As I said just my views, for a hassle free run 14k buffed is a good yardstick although obviously heroics can be done with far less.

Barathorn.

Barathorn

Postby Mizak » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Ramparts as a first heroic is a pretty rough start. I've only now gotten to the point of doing heroics every day, and I can say that when I started heroics (even SP) I was slightly better geared than you are currently.....I think I was around 11k hps and 13k armor unbuffed.

As point of reference, I did H ramps yesterday because it was the daily. I'm currently at 13.5k hps and 14.5k armor unbuffed. We still wiped twice while dungeon crawling, and twice on Nazan.

Heroic Slave Pens and Mechanar is definitely where you want to start. I can easily clear those w/o a single wipe at this point, when I first started at 11k/13k it was doable, just took longer. That will build up your confidence. The first boss in H SP is a joke, and it'll feel good getting that first badge of justice under your belt.

H Underbog is easy as well, but I think you may have problems with the Bog Lords. I would probably say the same about H Steamvaults....so wait until you gear up a bit more before trying them.

Another benefit of SP and Mech is that they are relatively short instances, so once you get the routine down, they are both quick ways to get badges. Even though they are cake now, I still do them regularly because they are a low risk way of getting 3-5 badges, it's even better if they are the daily =)
Mizak

Postby Donkey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the advice, tips and explanations. I now know what to look for and what I need.

I took everyones advice on here not as someone trying to be mean but as good advice to make me better. Thanks again everyone.
Donkey

Postby Barathorn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:50 am

Donkey wrote:Wow! Thanks to everyone for the advice, tips and explanations. I now know what to look for and what I need.

I took everyones advice on here not as someone trying to be mean but as good advice to make me better. Thanks again everyone.

Your welcome Donkey. We are here to help :)

Barathorn.

Barathorn

Postby Frickit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 am

14k buffed is def a good number for some reason I was thinkin that was way way higher than what I had but not so much... :D

I started slave pens with 10k unbuffed but I had decent avoidance too.
Frickit

Postby Arcand » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Frickit wrote:I started slave pens with 10k unbuffed but I had decent avoidance too.

That was the first one we ever tried; two tankadins around 10k unbuffed, two magi, priest. We were heavily abusing polymorph, stunning and frost-kiting to keep the damage down, putting up shields before breaking CC, taunting off each other to prevent deaths...it was pretty intense.

We beat the first boss, got our first-ever badges and called it, wondering what the hell raid fights were going to be like. :)
Arcand

Postby Woden » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Last time I was in BF, mobs were hitting like a truck. But then again, I was doing it without CC.
Woden

Postby Donkey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Well I got invited to a group for heroic Mech and they thought 11k unbuffed hp was enough. After buffs I had 13k hp and 12.9 armor. We ended up clearing it with the only big problems being the Destroyers. So I got my first 4 badges :)

The group I had was more or less properly geared for heroics but 2 of them had never been there before (which I thought was a little odd) But we cleared it nonetheless
Donkey

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics