Heroic Mech woes

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby kalbear » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Heroic mech isn't the easiest heroic, especially if you've not done it a bunch of times on normal. I think people just think of it as easy because they've done it so many times that it's second nature what the pulls are.

The pulls are complicated and a bit tricky. Some of the mobs must be dealt with or you will die a horrible death. And the boss fights are hard, harder than quite a few boss fights out there. Still, your group makeup is stellar for mech. You've got a lock so you can easily deal with the AoE demons, all of your DPS is ranged so you won't get randomly nuked on the mini-guards and can do more reliable DPS on nethermancer. You've got 2 good CC options and a third, you have two people to do spell interrupts.

What you need is to get your healer up to snuff and learn a couple things about it. The first is the elevator trick. The second is using the freeze trap (not freezing, freeze) to slow down some of the mobs, especially on the gauntlet part. That helps a ton. A third is to use AoE fear and deathcoil on the gauntlet. Fear works great for catching your breath, and deathcoil is fine since there aren't any real mobs of note around that area.

At that gear level, your healer basically needs to cast Gheal on every single ready time regardless of your health. Overheal as much as possible.

Personally, I'd recommend slave pens for that group. You've got two good CCs, fear if things get hairy, good DPS and someone who can give you fear ward. If you need to, you can use freeze trap + the hunter or mage to kite one of the defenders around. And the bosses in SP are just easy as all hell; they basically don't have any changes from their normal counterparts.
kalbear

Postby Paksennarion » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Um. Yes, the Priest needed to gear up way better than that. In "of the Prophet" greens and a smattering of blue gear (mostly quest rewards or low-level instance drops), only Level 70 item being Dungeon 3 headpiece, my priest was looking at 1100 +Healing self-buffed.

And at that level I'm still a bit leery of healing a Heroic, because I know how much damage I still take tanking them.
Paksennarion

Postby Dianora » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 pm

kalbear wrote:The first is the elevator trick.

What's this elevator trick you speak of? I presume this is on the gauntlet to the final boss?
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby kalbear » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:34 pm

The trick was mentioned earlier: if you go and get on the elevator as soon as you pull, you'll reset the encounter to that point. The mobs will be just standing around, doing nothing, and you'll be out of combat. This allows you to drink, eat, buff, res, whatever.
kalbear

Postby Brenna » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:38 pm

kalbear wrote:The second is using the freeze trap (not freezing, freeze) to slow down some of the mobs, especially on the gauntlet part.

The two traps are called freezing trap and frost trap.

Personally I usually end up freezing one of the adds in the gauntlet (that's the ice block one, frost is the aoe slow). For me it seems more helpful to take one mob out of the fight completely than to slow them all down, some of which are casters anyway. Though I guess with a pally tank perhaps frost would make more sense, I've just never done Mech with a pally tank before.
Brenna

Postby NarfJones » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:16 pm

kalbear wrote:The trick was mentioned earlier: if you go and get on the elevator as soon as you pull, you'll reset the encounter to that point. The mobs will be just standing around, doing nothing, and you'll be out of combat. This allows you to drink, eat, buff, res, whatever.

This hasn't worked for me for quite a while. It always bugs and I always get stuck in the world.

The best way to do this is to pull every wave of mobs back into the room before the gauntlet. If you can get out of combat you can drink. Even if you don't leave combat you will have a decent amount of time to regen mana before the next wave hits you.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby kalbear » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Damnit, that hunter lied to me. Okay, it's frost trap. And it works great for getting to the elevator in time. Shamans have a totem that works well for this too.
kalbear

Postby Cearn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:43 am

NarfJones wrote:
kalbear wrote:The trick was mentioned earlier: if you go and get on the elevator as soon as you pull, you'll reset the encounter to that point. The mobs will be just standing around, doing nothing, and you'll be out of combat. This allows you to drink, eat, buff, res, whatever.

This hasn't worked for me for quite a while. It always bugs and I always get stuck in the world.

I'm fairly sure it was a 2.3.1 change screwing the elevatorism.
Cearn

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:58 am

First: Nethermancers. They summon adds after some free time. CC them or burn them down fast(not recommended without about 2400~ group dps)
Robots: They all have a knockdown, so healer must stay on their toes. Effective health is king. Charged fists have to be interrupted, save your stun for when they go through.
Lil' Demons: Easy mode with warlock, do an enslave pull or just enslave one on the way up and watch them duel with their personal 1k dps.
Big Demons: make them back to the party to avoid splash debuffs, mays stun/incapacitate(dangerous)/reduce armor.
Gauntlet Event: Fear. Fear fear fear. if your group is undergeared, there's no better cc.
Sepethrea: Everyone will be kiting at a moment or other. Fire Res aura helps. Don't waste your taunt for Dragon's breath, it's not an aggro wipe, just an incapacitate drop. Do any damage to her after that and she goes back to you. Save RD for when she throws you halfway across the room. That's the aggro wipe. Shaman/Paladin healers not recommended, druids are op.

On an unrelated note, I love Capacitus. my 0/21/40 warlock had a triple charged,CoS + Misery + ISB debuffed, 19k crit shadow bolt!
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:49 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Robots: They all have a knockdown, so healer must stay on their toes. Effective health is king. Charged fists have to be interrupted, save your stun for when they go through.

If your group is low on spell interrupts and/or stuns, kite them during charged fist.

Snake-Aes wrote:Lil' Demons: Easy mode with warlock, do an enslave pull or just enslave one on the way up and watch them duel with their personal 1k dps.

Even easy without a lock.
Avengers Wrath
Avengers Shield
Rocket Boots (if you got em)
Conc
Strafe in circles around the four of them

I get about 3k damage total on that group. If you got a Resto Druid, you can even have him Cloud on that group.^^
Cearn

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:01 am

I've tried the fabled bomb-dodging a couple times, it's fun :p There's not much of a way around either enslave, strafedodge or healing through it, though.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:22 am

Snake-Aes wrote:I've tried the fabled bomb-dodging a couple times, it's fun :p There's not much of a way around either enslave, strafedodge or healing through it, though.

You can just not kill them. At least with a stealth party that worked. Never tried it with visible parties.
Cearn

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:35 am

Cearn wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:I've tried the fabled bomb-dodging a couple times, it's fun :p There's not much of a way around either enslave, strafedodge or healing through it, though.

You can just not kill them. At least with a stealth party that worked. Never tried it with visible parties.
There's a couple pulls with them you can't avoid, or at least it's tricky to avoid. Im' usually either pulling the one near one of the mini bosses, or the 4-pull so I can pull said miniboss from Capacitus' platform.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 pm

I dont know what other classes can do but HoJ one time is all I ever needed to survive the destroyers, unless your healer is weak.

Fire Bitch is easy if everyone can avoid killing them selves.

The first room is a learning experience, you should know how to pull the place from running it on normal.

Mech = easy
however any heroic will cause many many deaths if your not prepared and/or knowledgable in some way of it.
Frickit

Postby ldeboer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm

ThugNMeThePally wrote:so whats some good interrupts that other class's have, that will work?

Rogue - kick
Pally - hammer
Shaman - Earth shock
Fire mages - dragons breath
dps warriors - shield bash (they need to eqip shield for these)

BUT IF IT DOES GET CHARGED FIST UP .... MOVE

Gets me why a tank would actually stand there to take the hit.

Or if you do take the initial hit move so healer has time to heal you its simply going to chase you and it moves relatively slow :)
ldeboer

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics