New to Herorics

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

New to Herorics

Postby Mo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:27 pm

I have yet been in a Heroric dungeon, but definetly want to. What are some good dungeons to start off in as your 1st Heroric.

Thx
Mo

Postby Rokh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Botanica is almost a 100% clone of normal botanica.

Mana tombs is easy if you know the specials for every mob.

stay away from slave pens as the 2 giant door guards will rip you a new one.

steam vaults is also pretty easy if you avoid the bog giants, they hit for 8k easy and if your healer blows (ie most nubs with full pvp armor) you wont live long.
Rokh

Postby Swagger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Rokh wrote:Botanica is almost a 100% clone of normal botanica.

Mana tombs is easy if you know the specials for every mob.

stay away from slave pens as the 2 giant door guards will rip you a new one.

steam vaults is also pretty easy if you avoid the bog giants, they hit for 8k easy and if your healer blows (ie most nubs with full pvp armor) you wont live long.

lol

Slave Pens is pretty much the easiest heroic, so I couldn't disagree more with you there.
Swagger

Postby Rokh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:16 pm

pft, if he is 'new to heroics' the 2 guys that guard the key choke points will hit him for 8k or more each, not to mention they are un CC'able.

slave pens is a horrible starting heroic if your in all blues... i would only recomend it if you have a mage with slow to kite one around.
Rokh

Postby Minn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Those door guards in SP are stunnable. Yes, they hit fairly hard, but IMO the sooner the healers learn that the tank needs big heals to stay alive, the better.
Minn

Postby Wakeman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:42 am

H-slave pen, H-underbog, H-mech are the easier heroics.

H-bot is ok if the whole team know the strategies with 2nd, 3rd and last bosses. Otherwise, even the best combination will turn out terrible.

H-SV is ok as long as you have 2+ good CC. With only one cc or none, don't ever think about entering it as a pally tank.

H-MT 1st and 3rd bosses are the matter of strategies again, but the 2nd boss you will need lot of luck to tank it as a beginner.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Athon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:15 am

Rokh wrote:stay away from slave pens as the 2 giant door guards will rip you a new one.

That's true. The normal strategy for this is to kite one of these. I've done several runs, and it seems that kiters very often fail. Then the kited guard runs to the healer and the party wipes. Not fun. If you can keep one of them stunned until there's only one alive, no problem.
Athon

Postby Wakeman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 am

Athon wrote:
Rokh wrote:stay away from slave pens as the 2 giant door guards will rip you a new one.

That's true. The normal strategy for this is to kite one of these. I've done several runs, and it seems that kiters very often fail. Then the kited guard runs to the healer and the party wipes. Not fun. If you can keep one of them stunned until there's only one alive, no problem.

I have played as a hunter in heroic b4. My experience is good kiting as a hunter is harder than tanking 20 mobs as a pally. Most of the time I kited those guard, someone died, either me or the healer..... :P
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Athon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:31 am

Wakeman wrote:I have played as a hunter in heroic b4. My experience is good kiting as a hunter is harder than tanking 20 mobs as a pally. Most of the time I kited those guard, someone died, either me or the healer..... :P

Yup, I have a lvl 70 hunter with blue/epic gear. Heroic SP and UB are the only places where I have needed kiting (I don't PVP much). I died many times while learning to kite. Players who are doing their first heroics don't necessarily have very good skills for kiting. When you finally are skilled enough, you probably have imba group anyway and kiting isn't needed anymore.

These days I play my pally only and I probably couldn't kite succesfully with my hunter anymore. :roll:
Athon

Postby Nemuria » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 am

You don't need to kite the guardian when the group is properly geared. Every dps using their slowing/stunning abilities is just enough (have one ranged tanking him). Have also everybody above 8K hp so they can sustain 1 accidental strike.
You will meet a lot of packs where one mob can not be tanked. It is the same for example in Blood Furnace for the last Felguards (even a t5 druid died trying to tank both)
Nemuria

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 am

Going to chime in here and say heroic SP is nasty.

SP:
- Fairly easy to run, several pulls have 2x mind control and 2x aoe fear. Without cc or multiple fearwards / bubbles you can easily wipe with an ill prepared group. Watch out for champions as they fear, the big hitters are easy but the aoe will hurt your melee badly.

UB:
- Giants, 4-8K hits. If you can do the first pull of 2-3 of the elementals (actually the 3rd-5th mobs in the instance) without cc you can easily run it. Spearmen are your bane, they have a very small dead zone to pull them, and they cast a mana drain you need to cleanse (else your dps will overaggro).

SV:
- Easy run, sirens have to die fast, otherwise no real issues. Bog giants hit hard but manageable. If you can down the first boss the instance is easy (many wipes on that boss due to clouds downing people).

Ramparts:
- Fairly easy, large pulls however. Good test for AOE tanking. Try and sheep 1 to start, similar difficulty to mech otherwise.

Shattered Halls:
- Large pulls, once you can run UB you can run this with no cc. Just smash through with a good healer, its not worth ccing stuff other than maybe the casters.

Blood Furnace:
- Leave it till later, the normal mobs hit for about 3K each, all cc able, small pulls. With a lock / mage / other cc this is an easy run, but you have to realise each melee pull will hit you hard.

Mechanar:
- semi- easiest heroic, first boss + mini bosses are easy to down, if you can down the destroyers (hit for 4-8K, and fast) you can do it easily (don't use cc on calculator). 2nd boss (flame one) is the hardest part as its not really about the tank but everyone else's movement.

Botanica:
- Identical to normal, stuff hits harder. Until you have 16K+ hits I would recommend sheeping 1 in the 3+ man pulls (you will realise which one fast :D), otherwise easy.

Arcatraz:
- horrendously easy, if the healer is good. More of a healing test and group co-ordination than a tank test, but they need to be good.

Shadow Labs:
- Really easy, if you can down the 2nd boss fast (or slow and you actually hold aggro).

Shettek Halls:
- Stay away, fear, etc, 2 badges, ignore it imo unless you desperate.

Old Hillsbrad:
- Its ok, probably on par with Shattered halls or botanica, but your mana will be more pressed as there is less chance to stop and drink.

Black Morass:
- Ultimately easy or ultimately hard. Bring a shadow priest for the mana. You need high dps and you need to keep your mana up. Its hard, its fast and its easy to wipe requiring another full run.

Starting points really should be mech, ramparts and maybe botanica or slavepens. The rest are harder in terms of raw damage and have less use for cc in many ways. At the start bring cc, and start by wiping a lot, work out what you can tank and what the healer can handle and cc the rest. There is no point in a successful run if you don't learn what you can handle, I wiped about 12 times in ramparts first time getting a good grasp of all the pulls and how much damage I expected to take / get healed (which is why bf surprised me :D 2 mobs, can pull 2 groups of those... dead). Getting a bit of experience on these wipes and you can estimate the other pulls in heroics, ideally keep the same healer for your runs as this lets you build up a knowledge of them, and once you have better gear you can swap your "attuned" healer for one that isn't and not really notice the difference (mine dps's in SH now... 5dps part :D)

Once you have heroic gear you can start treating these badly (we get sub 50 minute SH runs now if we go fast), but while you are in blues go with care and remember that cc can occasionally help (or let a ranged dps hit casters and have the healer split if they are good enough), a warlock can juggle 2 fears and a seduction if needed while killing a 4th so you are not alone if its getting hard.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Holyhomer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 am

For botanica, starting out, I recommend a hunter or a shaman for nature resist. It will definitely help out on the greenfury or whatever dudes at the beginning (packs of three).

They hurt like the dickens!
Holyhomer

Postby ThugNMeThePally » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:34 pm

So whats the quickest, and easiest heroic to run, that yeilds the most badges? I know that every party will very in speed and efficiency, but throw me some scenarios at me. thx.
ThugNMeThePally

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Bot takes about an hour with a good party, for 5 badges.

SH takes about an hour with a good party for 5 badges.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Lalecize » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:49 pm

ThugNMeThePally wrote:So whats the quickest, and easiest heroic to run, that yeilds the most badges? I know that every party will very in speed and efficiency, but throw me some scenarios at me. thx.

Mech. The 5 badge run still exists, through a little trick I know.

Takes about an hour for 5 badges.

Really mech/bot/underbog are the easiest ones ive found to get badges out of that are relatively easy when you start heroics.

If you are well geared SH is a good one too, however you can't walk into that without a bit of work, and a really good group.
Lalecize

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics