How many wipes ...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

How many wipes ...

Postby Rykis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:38 pm

would my 5 man have if I tanked non-heroic bot/mech/arc as the Arena Holy spec (41/20)?

Basically, I don't want to fork up the cash to respec, and my guildies are bugging me to tank it. My suggestion, they give me 100 gold (50 to spec prot and 50 to spec back). Sure, I'm being a bit cheap, but I'm taking some time off of tanking to get some healing gear and play arena.

As this spec I am losing an insane about of mitigation, primarily through Holy Shield and BoSanc. I also have about 16% fewer hit points. I can't pull w/ the shield, but I can pull with Holy Shock ... not apples to apples but it is something. My +spell is more than double so I'm sure threat would be through the roof.

Once again, this is non-heroics. Should we even attempt this? I would be wearing my tank gear which provides > 45% avoidance.
Rykis

Postby Kitria » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:38 pm

If you've got a good healer and the imp righteous fury talent then you should be okay for tanking it. Might want to use a bit of CC till you know your limits though.
Kitria

Re: How many wipes ...

Postby Lalecize » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Rykis wrote:would my 5 man have if I tanked non-heroic bot/mech/arc as the Arena Holy spec (41/20)?

Basically, I don't want to fork up the cash to respec, and my guildies are bugging me to tank it. My suggestion, they give me 100 gold (50 to spec prot and 50 to spec back). Sure, I'm being a bit cheap, but I'm taking some time off of tanking to get some healing gear and play arena.

As this spec I am losing an insane about of mitigation, primarily through Holy Shield and BoSanc. I also have about 16% fewer hit points. I can't pull w/ the shield, but I can pull with Holy Shock ... not apples to apples but it is something. My +spell is more than double so I'm sure threat would be through the roof.

Once again, this is non-heroics. Should we even attempt this? I would be wearing my tank gear which provides > 45% avoidance.

You could do it, but for the love of god dont.

You wont be the uber pallytank u once were, u'll hate it and not have as much fun, and it will be difficult.
Lalecize

Postby Lore » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 pm

I've seen shadow priests tank non-heroics.

You'll be fine.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby GothicPL » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:00 pm

You may be able to do Bot, but normal Arc is on par with heroic SP difficulty wise, in my opinion. And in Mech the destroyers hit pretty hard. I guess the answer depends on your gear - if you're in T4, you can probably do it, but there will be close calls and likely wipes. It also helps if your DPS and healers wear plate/mail.

By the way, I spec holy for arenas/PvP too, and I'm actually starting to find it fun (apart from spending money) - being a healer is a good break from tanking instances, and it's nice to be on top of BG healing charts and help friends do group quests. But it gets old soon, as attempts to AOE farm melee mobs don't go as well.
GothicPL

Postby Zahir » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

hmm i've done it as ret too, just gotta tell your DPS not to go crazy.
Zahir

Postby Metrodin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 pm

GothicPL wrote:You may be able to do Bot, but normal Arc is on par with heroic SP difficulty wise, in my opinion. And in Mech the destroyers hit pretty hard. I guess the answer depends on your gear - if you're in T4, you can probably do it, but there will be close calls and likely wipes. It also helps if your DPS and healers wear plate/mail.

By the way, I spec holy for arenas/PvP too, and I'm actually starting to find it fun (apart from spending money) - being a healer is a good break from tanking instances, and it's nice to be on top of BG healing charts and help friends do group quests. But it gets old soon, as attempts to AOE farm melee mobs don't go as well.

They're both easy, but I find Arc easiest myself.
For pure comedy value nothing beats the Abyssals in Arc smearing someone who wont listen when you tell them to stand together on one spot ... :lol:
Metrodin

Postby Rykis » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 am

GothicPL wrote:You may be able to do Bot, but normal Arc is on par with heroic SP difficulty wise, in my opinion. And in Mech the destroyers hit pretty hard. I guess the answer depends on your gear - if you're in T4, you can probably do it, but there will be close calls and likely wipes. It also helps if your DPS and healers wear plate/mail.

Holy in arena/PvP is loads of fun. It is a shame that tanks get shafted in that area. I am trying to work on my fast mount right now so 50 gold here and 50 gold is really something I want to avoid for a bit.

Truthfully, if it is a bit difficult I'm ok with that. Most of the other instances we have been doing have been easy. I like a challenge every now and then.
Rykis

Postby Maethoriel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:26 am

Lore wrote:I've seen shadow priests tank non-heroics.

You'll be fine.

I like to tank those dragons before supremus with my shadow priest ;P
I don't like that the healers forget that i justed pulled aggro from the
'lock that forgot to click salv away ><
Maethoriel

Postby Rykis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 am

I guess I should respond to this thread w/ the outcome of this.

We did attempt Botanica, and successfully so. It was definitely more difficult as holy, but not insane. I did die a few times, but I think it was mostly due to group mechanics than spec. However, I doubt I would died at all if I was protection.

The deaths were early on in the instance, and once the group got going we didn't have a problem.

I swapped out my gear to have as high +spell as I could but still be uncritable. I was uncrushable, but w/ my prot gear I am uncrushable anyway.

I suppose Mech will be similar, but I miss prot. Damn arena.
Rykis

Postby inthedrops » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am

Tank it in your holy spec + max threat tank gear. You'll be fine. If you have the talent that increases your spell damage it more than makes up for a lack of holy shield threat.

I recently did the following for fun in non heroic Shattered Halls....and it was a BLAST!

Holy specced paladin tanking.
Holy specced priest dps'ing
Two "geared in blues" Hunters
Resto Druid healing

We REALLY wanted a Ret Paladin in there to heal but couldn't find one :(

The coolest thing about that run was that I was #2 on damage done for the the whole thing :) With all that AoE I was doing 5xx dps.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics