Remove Advertisements

Shattered Halls 2nd Boss; I can't keep aggro =(

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Arkellian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:07 pm

Each head has it's own threat list, so you need to be on the top of both. Once you are it's tank-and-spank.

1. Run in and judge Crusader, then Seal and Judge Righteousness repeatedly. Save your Avenging Wrath and Avenger's Shield.
2. Tell DPS to just watch you solo him until you give the word.
3. A soon as the heads switch (emote) pop AW, toss AS, and anything else you can.
4. Once you have a good hold, tell DPS to go, but not nutz.

Be aware that threat meters are useless for this fight.
Last edited by Arkellian on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkellian

Postby Exodius » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:15 am

I tried this guy with my spell damage set which I use for crap aggro fights today after we wiped the first time. He really does hit like a girl... took him a few minutes to kill me with no healer on the first try, so the extra threat/avoidance ratio is fine for crap spell damage plate.

As they say, hold back and wait for him to swap. Once you have him the second time, he's as good as dead. :D
Exodius

Postby Taeron » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:37 am

Try this:

Tell the party to do absolutely nothing until the switch of aggro.

Start the fight by JoR, then put up Seal of Righteousness and just keep hitting him (pop Holy Shield here and there).

If you have retribution paladin in the group with you, let him heal you, while the others do nothing. If not, let the healer keep you alive with nothing but small heals.

Once he switches, quickly judge Crusader, throw AS at him and start unleashing as much aggro on him as possible. If he switches to a clothie, give that clothie BoP. Once he turns back to you, everybody should go nuts.

He is immune to taunt. But what makes it super special, he is very easy with a retribution paladin in the group. At the start, you hit, the retri paladin heals you. On switch, he will go for the retri paladin, who can then either bubble or just live while you nuke the boss to get aggro back.

Basically the fight is won once you get the aggro back at first switch. That is, if you have good dps to nuke him down fast.
Taeron

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:41 am

Just did this fight now for the first time..had no problems, this is what happened

Told them to go slow til he switches, autattack at most.
When he switched, i judged him(judged blood but right works), popped Avenging Wrath and consecrated. From there dps started attacking, and i lost aggro on him once,but it was quickly regained with a AS throw and I didn't lose it again.

Untankable my ass <.< He's easy.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Venatirsia » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:07 pm

Remind your group to watch what he says, from both heads. When the left head starts talking, switching from the right, he has dropped the previous aggro table. If you have warlocks or shadow priests remind them to hold off on some dots so they don't tick away when he swaps. Follow the other advice but that should help a bit as well.
Venatirsia

Postby Kihra » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:57 pm

I haven't had any real issues with this boss. I even allow DPS to go all out at the start. Once you've done him a few times you get a feel for when he's going to do the first switch.

I make sure to have Avenging Wrath already popped, and have SoR ready to judge. Then when he switches I just immediately judge and cast Avenger's Shield. That almost always gets him back on me for the rest of the fight.

In the rare event that it doesn't, I just BoP whoever he's on (cough, warlock), and then he's usually back on me again.
Kihra

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:14 pm

Tried the suggestions here of having the group wait while I solo him until he changes heads and I throw my shield (they were real cool to let me test it out so big props to em).

The healer popped a heal on me right at the transition so it went to him, but my shield hit him right about when he got to the healer. No dps did anything at this point. I did not get him back easily and he even went to a dps'er (a few seconds have now elapsed) for a bit before FINALLY coming back to me. I forgot to BoP during the whole fight so maybe that is key.

Excluding the failed BoP on my part, the strategy did not work as I had hoped. One heal was all it took to lose agro during the transition (he had put a couple light heals on me before the transition). I have almost 400 spell damage, RF was on, and I had a very difficult time getting him to stay on me once he was on the healer.

Next time I'll remember BoP (if needed) and see if that makes the difference. Thanks for all the tips in this thread. He was still easy to kill, but I wanted to have a solid strat for pugs :P
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:09 pm

inthedrops wrote:Tried the suggestions here of having the group wait while I solo him until he changes heads and I throw my shield (they were real cool to let me test it out so big props to em).

The healer popped a heal on me right at the transition so it went to him, but my shield hit him right about when he got to the healer. No dps did anything at this point. I did not get him back easily and he even went to a dps'er (a few seconds have now elapsed) for a bit before FINALLY coming back to me. I forgot to BoP during the whole fight so maybe that is key.

Excluding the failed BoP on my part, the strategy did not work as I had hoped. One heal was all it took to lose agro during the transition (he had put a couple light heals on me before the transition). I have almost 400 spell damage, RF was on, and I had a very difficult time getting him to stay on me once he was on the healer.

Next time I'll remember BoP (if needed) and see if that makes the difference. Thanks for all the tips in this thread. He was still easy to kill, but I wanted to have a solid strat for pugs :P

(1) Make sure you have crusader judged.

(2) I also recommend having Avenging Wrath popped *before* the head switch so that you don't have to hit it first. I found that I'd be hitting AW first and then wouldn't be able to judge because he'd already have run out of range. (Someone with faster reflexes might not have this problem though. :)

It was easier for me to just have it popped already and then hit him with the judgement right when he did the head switch. Then I'd pop him with Avenger's Shield.
Kihra

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 am

Kihra wrote:
inthedrops wrote:Tried the suggestions here of having the group wait while I solo him until he changes heads and I throw my shield (they were real cool to let me test it out so big props to em).

(1) Make sure you have crusader judged.

(2) I also recommend having Avenging Wrath popped *before* the head switch so that you don't have to hit it first. I found that I'd be hitting AW first and then wouldn't be able to judge because he'd already have run out of range. (Someone with faster reflexes might not have this problem though. :)

It was easier for me to just have it popped already and then hit him with the judgement right when he did the head switch. Then I'd pop him with Avenger's Shield.
Well, like judgement, it's not on GCD, so you can do some things. I do AW as soon as he switches, and judge, from there it's a cakewalk.

Unless you're grouped with a mage that thinks that the closer the monster is, the harder you have to attack...and that opening battles with pyro-pom-pyro is a good thing.Then I just let he die.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Well, like judgement, it's not on GCD, so you can do some things. I do AW as soon as he switches, and judge, from there it's a cakewalk.

Unless you're grouped with a mage that thinks that the closer the monster is, the harder you have to attack...and that opening battles with pyro-pom-pyro is a good thing.Then I just let he die.

Yeah true. You can immediately pound AW, Judgement and hurl AS. I have since fixed my clumsy key setup that created the hesitation between hitting AW and hitting Judgement. :)

I still like to have AW popped before hand to help with initial threat though, since I usually don't pull the boss with AS and am holding the Judgement in check for the head switch. Popping AW a little early lets me have some nice threat before the head switch as well, but I doubt it matters all that much.

The main point I was making (that I think we both agree on) is just that with Crusader judged, AW + JoR + AS is almost guaranteed to pull him back to you for the rest of the fight if your spell damage is decent.
Kihra

Postby Nicos » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:42 am

I've lucked out the past few runs and had at least one hunter with me... a couple of times 2. I tell them to go all out and when he switches targets immediately feign and misdirect to me.

If I have 2 hunters, one misdirects initially, the other misdirects after the switch.

It works out beautifully.
Nicos

Postby gworroll » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:38 am

I just tell people to stop doing whatever they were doing if they pull aggro. Healers are allowed to heal if necesary, but should avoid it if incoming damage permits. DPS just needs to stop DPSing.

Then i nuke the hell out of him and I generally get it back pretty quick.
gworroll

Postby Solidad » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:33 am

I have tanked this boss twice now in the last couple of days. The first time, my group had a very high DPS componant and we just burned him down from the start. Last night he killed 3 of the party before the paladin healer and I eventually took him down after about 8 minutes. (It was actually a pretty cool thing to watch - we took him down from about 40 percent) We used just about every trick in the book but we won. I wish I had read this post before last night lol. I will definitely be using the slow start strategy with lesser DPS.

Regards,

Solidad
Blackhand
Solidad

Postby Cynnammon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:38 am

did this fight twice last night (same group both times) and the lock knows that he tends to die during this fight. he knows it, he's fine with it, and nothing i can say or do changes what he does with his DoTs. as long as he knows that he tends to pull aggro and die, i'm not terribly concerned :P
Cynnammon

Postby guillex » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 am

I remember reading somewhere that DoTs will build threat on both threat lists, and honestly, after building initial aggro with a regular spell rotation, switching to SoV works wonders.

After he threat dumps, do the AW/AS/regular threat cycle routine, you'll get him back no problem. Just be sure that SoV HAS stacked to 5 well before the aggro dump.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics