Heroic Black Stalker - Underbog

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Exodius » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:38 am

Far wrote:Noob question from a quite new tankadin. ( only tanked 5 instances sofar)

Tanked SP heroic last night, and now moving up to Underbog.

When I heal this place I make sure to cleanse the tank as soon as he gets poisoned, and then continue healing.

When tanking SP I noticed that my healer (my GM on his priest), didn't cleanse. So I did it myself.

But when I cleanse I am not blocking atttacks, isn't that correct ?

Thinking that if I have to cleanse myself, those bog lords are going to make minced meat out of me.

And what does "frisbeeing" mean ?

A priest can't remove poison. They can cure disease and remove magic, but they cannot cure poison or remove curses.

Instant casts do not make you unable to block. If that was the case paladin tanking would be permanently broken. It's only long cast spells like heals, avenger's shield, hammer of wrath that can lower your avoidance level. You should not be healing normally while tanking, you only use avenger's sheild when the mobs are off you, and wrath is so fast it does not really matter.

So you can cleanse yourself and others fine. It's just you have to watch your global cooldown if I understand right, which could stuff up your threat rotation.

Heroic underbog is hard because of the double bog lords just before the first boss. Either have someone kite one or else use avenging wrath and go all out and burn them down quick.

The longer they are alive the more damage they will do. A bit like a mini double Gruul. That's why I always use Avenging Wrath on those rather than the boss straight after them. With all his mushroom tossing, dps normally can't just stack their threat like a straight normal fight anyway. :P
Exodius

Postby Far » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:45 am

On the 2 bog lords we normally have a hunter pull one, and jump off the edge to the left and keep running, then eventually feign death.

Tricky part is that when the bog lords comes back, he will attackk the healer from beneith.
Even before he starts on the ramp.
When healing I normally bubble myself, will try to do the same on the priest, or will their own bubble be sufficient ?
Far

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:11 am

Keiran wrote:Frisbeeing is when you toss your shield. Avengers Shield.

And no, as far as I know, If you cast stuff, even instant, you can not block.
If that was true, judgements, seals, consecration, AW, everything you have would stop blocks and you'd be the worst tank ever.

Instant casts don't interrupt blocking/dodging/parrying/walking/anything. Only stuff with cast time opens you to 0 avoidance.
Cleanse is safe.

Priest bubble is a small damage reduction, like 1 or 2k damage. Won't make him an invalid target(so they'll attack him anyway)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Gerilith » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:31 am

Snake-Aes wrote:

If that was true, judgements, seals, consecration, AW, everything you have would stop blocks and you'd be the worst tank ever.

Instant casts don't interrupt blocking/dodging/parrying/walking/anything. Only stuff with cast time opens you to 0 avoidance.
Cleanse is safe.

Priest bubble is a small damage reduction, like 1 or 2k damage. Won't make him an invalid target(so they'll attack him anyway)

Oh it actually had been that way for a long time...
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Galadedrid » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:35 am

Gerilith wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:

Cleanse is safe.

Oh it actually had been that way for a long time...

ive never actually noticed that cleanse causes your block to fall off O_o
thats probably because i time all my casts to come up between swings lol.

either way. double bog lords, just tank em both. its what i do, never had problems.

only problem in this instance for me is last boss... he always levitates me, and even with 600 spell damage i lose threat. (frizbee toss etc) its probably because my DPS tends to be BT/Hyjal geared... but i should be able to hold threat from the air with 600 spell damage... its like my threat falls off once im levitated.

either way. the DPS rogue from hyjal ends up tanking this fight most of the time.. he just dodges it all lol.
Galadedrid

Postby Zhalseran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:38 am

I've only done him on heroic once and he sucked.

Basically I went all out and just made sure to try and taunt adds or drop a consecration on them, and to bubble the healer if need be.

In the end of the day it was my divine shield, a mana pot and hammer of wrath that won the day.
Zhalseran

Postby Yinramu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 am

Biggest thing that helps on this boss is nature resist on everyone else; just getting a hunter with aspect of the wild, or a shaman with a nature resist totem can turn this fight from hellish, to easy-mode.
Yinramu

Postby Somrael » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 am

I know that this probably isn't the best way to do it, but bubbling out of levitate has always worked well for my group (it tends to be the same guys over and over). I fall, BoP the healer and let the hunter's pet get chewed up a little while we DPS him down, and throw out a Righteous Defense when I need to. A bit chaotic, but so far it's panned out well. Obviously having a pet or someone who can offtank for a few seconds helps (or even making sure your rogue/hunter/whomever can live through a hit)
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
Somrael

Postby Far » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 am

Galadedrid wrote:ive never actually noticed that cleanse causes your block to fall off O_o
thats probably because i time all my casts to come up between swings lol.

either way. double bog lords, just tank em both. its what i do, never had problems.

only problem in this instance for me is last boss... he always levitates me, and even with 600 spell damage i lose threat. (frizbee toss etc) its probably because my DPS tends to be BT/Hyjal geared... but i should be able to hold threat from the air with 600 spell damage... its like my threat falls off once im levitated.

either way. the DPS rogue from hyjal ends up tanking this fight most of the time.. he just dodges it all lol.

My priest healer didn't show in time, so I got a pally friend to heal.

Took on both the bog lords, and had no problems at all.
The healer was not to happy, when I said I would take both, but was surprised how well it went.
He said some of his guilds warriors would not be able to do that :-)
We are friends, but very competitive, so he certainly wouldn't say so if it wasn't true, lol.

On the stalker I didn't get liftet, and we took him down quite easily.

Wiped on the trash leading up to 2nd boss.
Should have been more awake when I was healing in here, and learnt the mobs better ...
Far

Postby Eanin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Out of curiosity, why don't people kill the adds? It seems like on a group that isn't overgeared, that would be the better strategy.

We did it last night, and we got him down on the second try. In retrospect, though, it was the adds that were the problem, and we probably could have spared 1 DPS to avoid all those adds running around.
Eanin

Postby Exodius » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Eanin wrote:Out of curiosity, why don't people kill the adds? It seems like on a group that isn't overgeared, that would be the better strategy.

In theory, yes, you could have someone kill the adds...

In practice though, because of the havoc that levitate creates (having tank out of range and losing aggro, healer out of range, anything getting thrown up and dying from fall damage) it tends to be wiser to just burn the boss then turn on the adds afterwards.

At least, that's how I understand it.
Exodius

Postby Pizbit » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:48 pm

The boss is also pretty weak it makes for a faster fight just to nuke it and let the adds vanish when it dies.
Can also get two sets of adds in quick succession - it's just a waste of time.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Makaijin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Every time we do this boss we just nuke the boss down and ignore the adds. I also find the best way to prevent evades is to tank him right in the center of the room, with your back facing one of the side walls and not the entrance/exit. Although sometimes he does leviate you at his sides, but most of the time he flings you forward/backward of the direction he is facing, so you want to position him so your front and back are facing the side walls. For threat issues I tend to make sure consecrate is always up under his feet, as for a final boss he doesn't really hit that hard, so the DPS can go all out.

As for the 2 bog lords before the first boss, I have always tanked both of them. I AS the skull marked one, and as soon as they walk into my consecrate everyone starts nuking. We've always treat it as a DPS race before the healer runs out of mana spamming max heals. It's just a lot more simpler than having a hunter/mage kite it downstairs with a lot more things to go wrong, unless you have a really undergeared healer.
Makaijin

Postby Ehtirno » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:24 pm

Exodius wrote: it tends to be wiser to just burn the boss then turn on the adds afterwards.

First part is right, but the adds just despawn when the boss dies so np.

And no, instant casts *no longer* messes with your avoidance. How blizzard ever intended paladin tanks to work with concecrate and such causing you to get instapwned by everything hitting you is beyond me, but atleast it's fixed now.
Ehtirno

Postby Yinramu » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Out of curiosity, why don't people kill the adds? It seems like on a group that isn't overgeared, that would be the better strategy.

I've found they spawn too quickly to be dealt with effectively.
Yinramu

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics