Slaves in SP and SV

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Slaves in SP and SV

Postby Athon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:06 am

I was in SV yesterday. There are some slave handlers and slaves. The slaves will attack you if the slave handler attacks you or you attack the slave handler. If you kill the slave handler without damaging the slaves, the slaves will disappear. This has been the usual strategy for groups I have been in (warrior or druid tank), because it is the fastest way.

However, this time I was tanking and this was the first time I was tanking in this instance. I avoided using Consecration and the slaves disappeared after the slave handler had been killed. The problem is that without AOE I can't keep aggro on them for long although I had retribution aura and Blessing of Sanctuary, they'll eventually run to the healer (and disappear soon if they aren't damaged). This isn't a problem in normal mode, but it could be painful in heroic. What's the usual strategy for these in heroics with a pally tank? Do you just AOE tank and eventually kill them? It takes a bit longer though.
Athon

Postby gwayne » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:17 am

In SV I think you have to kill the slaves (I think they are only before the 2nd boss). If you pull carefully you can get a minimal amount since only the ones near the slavehandler will be alerted.

In SP you used to be able to sheep the handler and then pull him individually. This doesn't work anymore, but as soon as he is dead the slaves will run out of the instance. It doesn't matter if you damage them or not. In heroic the ones that frostbolt can be a little painful but the melee ones probably wont make it past your block value. If you are having problems with these on heroic then you are going to get slaughtered by the double guardian pulls anyway :)

Tactics are the same for tanking any group. With the added bonus you only need to kill one mob :) The slaves do give easy rep though and it's fun to chase them :P
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:58 am

The slaves in SV seem to have a random aggro thing that bugs the hell out of me. The only slave that won't run away is the last one situated with the Two handlers. The rest run away after you kill the single handlers.

I just consecrate at will, they still run away afterward. Same goes for the SP ones. There are some later on in the instance (same model as slaves) that aren't actually slaves and don't run away.
kywirelessguy

Postby Lumine » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:17 pm

Just CC the Slave Handlers and kill the slaves, sometimes those guys continue attacking when the Slave Handler dies..
Lumine

Postby Xalran » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:02 pm

You don't need to kill the slaves. I AoE tanked heroic SP today as normal, with Cons and Holy shield and whatnot, and the slaves still left after the handler died.
Xalran

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 pm

The only slave you need to kill is the one in SV where you also pull 2 nagas with him, all the other ones will run away supposing you kill the naga near them.

The slaves in SP seemb to have regular aggro table. The slaves in SV seemb to drop aggro when they feel to.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Exodius » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:30 am

I find in heroic slave pens that the majority of the time the caster slaves won't run, even with the slave handlers dead. I just use CC or pull the mobs over them and tank them normally with a kill order. If you ignore them and assume they will disappear, then your healer will likely die as they are the only ones building aggro from them. :(

Also in H SP, it's wise sometimes to just clear the slaves at the end of the tunnels, even if they don't normally aggro. Just gives more breathing room and less chance of wiping from some bad AoE. :?

Haven't tanked heroic steam vaults yet. From what I have seen on my priest that first boss is a pain and a half. The lightning storm can and will kill anyone who stands in it for the full duration. :cry:
Exodius

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:58 am

Exodius wrote:The lightning storm can and will kill anyone who stands in it for more than 3 seconds :cry:

Fixed
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby adese » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:54 am

Exodius wrote:I find in heroic slave pens that the majority of the time the caster slaves won't run, even with the slave handlers dead. I just use CC or pull the mobs over them and tank them normally with a kill order. If you ignore them and assume they will disappear, then your healer will likely die as they are the only ones building aggro from them. :(

From what I've seen, I think it has to do with how far away they are from their master. If they are too far away, they don't "see" that he dies, and are happy to go right on dpsing you. If they are close, they'll finish their current cast, then run away. That's what seems to happen when I am there, anyway.

Exodius wrote:Haven't tanked heroic steam vaults yet. From what I have seen on my priest that first boss is a pain and a half. The lightning storm can and will kill anyone who stands in it for the full duration. :cry:

IMO, the first boss in H SV is the worst part of the place. I think she can put two storms up at one time (as opposed to the 1 in normal), so things can get pretty tight given a bad placement. The first time we went, we wiped on her a few times, but once we finally got her we 1 shotted the rest of the place.
adese

Postby Keiran » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:55 am

Actually, if you dont run with a Warlock, we have the upper hand on the first boss in SV. The adds dont really have that much life, and with a captain america pull, you can keep aggro on the "nuke" target, and it will die before it reach the dps'ers. The last two targets are laughable as long as you move out of the thunder, and cleanse the cycloned target.
Keiran

Postby ctyotyler » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 pm

I've found that when I do just 1 con I maintain aggro and the slaves will leave after the master dies. From my observation the slaves take aggro and fight to the death if they are being damaged when the master dies.
Enjoy Life!
ctyotyler

Postby Rykis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:15 am

ctyotyler wrote:I've found that when I do just 1 con I maintain aggro and the slaves will leave after the master dies. From my observation the slaves take aggro and fight to the death if they are being damaged when the master dies.

I concur. I was in SP (non-heroic) the other day. It seems like the slaves aggro resets when the master dies. Try throwing the cons down early enough so by time he dies there aren't any ticks left.

On a side note, I switched to dev aura at this part. Seem like if they are in mid swing when the handler dies they will finish their action.
Rykis

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:37 am

I didn't have this problem in normal so far(cept for the casters). If I needto, I CC the slaves that are ranged and just wtfexplode the other slaves anyway o.O

Ignoring Consecration + ccing the caster + pwning only the naga worked wonders for me, didn't lose aggro for a second.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics