When is a Tankadin Ready for Heroics?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

When is a Tankadin Ready for Heroics?

Postby ctyotyler » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 pm

Ok I've read through the majority of these posts and an underlying question still remains in my mind: Am I ready for heroics?

I've been looking at some of those sweet new rewards for the badge of justices and haven't touched a heroic yet as I've only hit 70 a few weeks ago. With the daily quest bonus of 2 BoJ I want to get my feet wet.

When is a tank really ready for heroics? I'll assume 490 def is required but what about avoidance? Is it necessary to have 102.4%? Any knowledge/experiences will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Enjoy Life!
ctyotyler

Postby ulushnar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 pm

A Tankadin is ready for Heroics when he has to start downgrading his gear to avoid going oom in regular 5-mans. :)

And no, you only have to worry about 102.4% avoidance/block when you're up against a mob with a skull beside it, which should only be happening in raids. For Heroics, stock up on 485 Defense (maximum mob level is 72) and then get as much block value and spelldamage as you can get. Aim for roughly 35% combined dodge and parry as a baseline to avoid some of the massive damage heroic mobs output.

The easier heroics to get your feet wet in are Slave Pens, Underbog and Mechanar. Avoid Sethekk or Crypts until you're insanely geared, or just plain insane.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ctyotyler » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 pm

Wow that first line stated just blew me away. I have been going oom in regular 5-mans. It seems recently all my money is going to drink (I need to become friends with a mage :) )

I'll build up my dodge/parry rating and start these instances. Thanks for the help!
Enjoy Life!
ctyotyler

Postby Lakirby » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:30 am

The first heroic I ever tanked was Sethekk Halls. Made me a sad panda.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Suikano » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:44 am

My first one was Saturday night, steamvaults. Rough run but we did it.
Suikano

Postby Andox » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:02 am

My first was heroic Blood Furnance, I was shocked that last boss hitted like a girl ;)
Andox

Postby Korath » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 am

Only done 1 Mech so far and 1 wipe but otherwise good run, my main group of instance runners have been away for a few weeks (and/or I've been doing alot of kara) but going to get back into it soon.

SH is still top of my list of what I want to try :)

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Vanifae » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:18 am

I find Sethek to be not too bad Crypts is kind of retarded, but Mana Tombs is king of this sucks.

Arcatraz isn't bad but has its moments.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Exodius » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:29 am

Well, every heroic I have tried so far has been pretty good if the group knows what it's doing. That's not always gaurenteed though with PUGs. :(

Most of the mobs though do hit like bricks though. That can be a step learning curve for you, or at least for your healer. :?

I have only done Crypts once and it was not too bad. It was a learning curve but I was with a SP friend of mine who had ran it a million times before to try and get the enchant. I just let her mark and explain it all.

The trick with that place is to just cleanse the hunters that spawn and viper sting.

Also watch out on the bridge for that thing that chucks you off. Died twice from that stupid thing.

Other than that I did not see anything special. They said something about changing it on the patch notes but I don't know what it was like before. :(

And yes, the SP got her enchant. I got my Felsteel recipe too. :D
Exodius

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:22 pm

Ulushnar wrote: Avoid Sethekk or Crypts until you're insanely geared, or just plain insane.

Hope it's ok if i disagree. Sethekk or Crypts needs no CC whatsoever. The mobs hit like wet paper and the bosses can be one shotted without effort (yes, even IKiss).

Having done all the Heroics as a tankadin, i find BM and Shattered the most challenging.

I agree that Mech or SP are the easiest to get started with. A usual SP run for me is around 35min
Gray

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Shattered Halls is the most challenging heroic as a Tankadin? You're doing something wrong :P
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby DamnLag » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:53 pm

I'm confused. I am not level 70 yet, but I've always read that SH is a tankadins dream..?
Batteries not included.
DamnLag

Postby utena » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:59 pm

DamnLag wrote:I'm confused. I am not level 70 yet, but I've always read that SH is a tankadins dream..?

There's a huge difference between SH and Heroic SH...

Those packs HURT.

It's not so much a question of "can you tank it?," but rather, "can they heal it?"

I've found tanking KZ and ZA actually easier than tanking heroics -- primarily because pugging heroics in 2.3 sucks, where anyone and their grandma in sub-70 greens can join...
utena

Postby Dorvan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Utena wrote:
DamnLag wrote:I'm confused. I am not level 70 yet, but I've always read that SH is a tankadins dream..?

There's a huge difference between SH and Heroic SH...

Those packs HURT.

It's not so much a question of "can you tank it?," but rather, "can they heal it?"

I've found tanking KZ and ZA actually easier than tanking heroics -- primarily because pugging heroics in 2.3 sucks, where anyone and their grandma in sub-70 greens can join...

Block value does wonders against the big packs. As with all heroics you need a good healer, but heroic SH is a free 5 badges plus some shards, primals, and pots in under an hour. Oh, and don't pull the Gladiator packs until you're overgeared for everything else ;)
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zahir » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:49 pm

Utena wrote:It's not so much a question of "can you tank it?," but rather, "can they heal it?"

the more and more i tank heroics, the more and more i realize this. Healing is completely different in Heroics, and if you don't have a good healer it's usually GG.

I've had people complain to me that i take too much damage, and there are some who compliment me for doing such a great job. It's usually the "bad" healers that say i take too much dmg cause they aren't used to healing a heroic and the good healers the ones saying the latter due to my ability to keep threat on the mobs and do my job.

Kinda makes me want to find a permanent healer for heroics...but i'm lazy :P
Zahir

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics