Remove Advertisements

General Heroic Question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

General Heroic Question

Postby Zahir » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Hey all :D

So i tanked Slave Pens and Underbog on heroic for the first time the past 2 days. Aggro was never a problem with Salv on everybody, and i switched some items to get more +spell power.

Question: This may seem very basic, but I understand that in Heroic mode, everything hits really hard. But is it normal to have like 300 blocked, 3k hit occassionally(like the coilfang defenders). I just felt like I was getting hit harder and felt like i put a lot of strain on the healer to keep me up. Underbog was fine had a great priest, but for Slave Pens we had a pretty well geared paladin who was struggling healing me + the group for some of the AOE abilities some of the bosses do. Barely survived the final boss of SP. It just seems i'm shaving off like 300 dmg for a huge hit, do i need more block value?

Is this normal or do I need to gear up more to make it so i'm not taking SO much dmg? I know I don't have 102.4% uncrushable yet, but besides some things in Kara, there's no way to achieve that. Plus I don't think you need to be uncrushable for heroics.

Before committing fully to protection, i've healed Heroic SP before and found it...difficult at times, but nothing I couldn't heal through except for the 2nd and 3rd bosses.

My armory profile(hopefully it shows my prot gear)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... aw&n=Zahir

1. i would like to be around 200+ spell dmg, but i have to sacrifice some +block rating to do so(would put up the righteous gloves)
2. Using the violent signet instead of something else, due to the +stam.
3. I do have the Libram of repentence...its just not showing for some odd reason
4 Any suggestions?
Zahir

Postby Vanifae » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:13 pm

At your gear level that is normal, and yes stuff in Heroics can hit excessively hard.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Zahir » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm

so really it's dependent on the healer for the most part. I guess having more avoidance would make the healer have a easier time right?
Zahir

Postby Winchester » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:03 pm

I've found that paladin healers are great 5man and raid healers but suffer on heroics. That might just be the case for me since i dont use crowd control.
I prefer avoidence overall usually, block value has a pretty low priority for me the item cost seems a bit off.
Then again nothing is great in small numbers, if you focus alot on block value i guess it can get pretty great.

And yes some mobs in heroics hit abnormally hard, the last groups before last boss in heroic bf are rediculous for example.
1 warlock 2 felguards, the felguards hit for about 3-4.2k and have instant attacks to boot.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:16 pm

Zahir wrote:so really it's dependent on the healer for the most part. I guess having more avoidance would make the healer have a easier time right?

Pretty much a crappy healer can turn a Heroic run into crap pretty quickly.

My favorite healers for heroics are Resto Tree druids, they just rock.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Zhalseran » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:30 pm

Tree droods are imba. I have a friend whos a tree drood and she heals pretty much all my runs, makes even pugs bearable.

Anyways, when your fighting a boss or a hard hitting enemy like you will encounter in heroics, block value won't do a whole lot. It doesnt make that big a difference if your taking 2700 damage or 2500 damage, but 200 block value takes a lot of work to get.

What im trying to say is your time and effort would be beter spent stacking avoidance/armor/stam
Zhalseran

Postby Vanifae » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:38 pm

It may not seem like much but 2500 from 2700 is about a 7.8% decrease in damage. That would take considerably more armor to achieve that affect then it would to stack a little bit of block rating.

Black Value is underrated but it makes a difference. I currently block for about 311 per hit. On a 3K attack I mitigate 10% of the damage. With Holy Shield up I will always mitigate damage when I am actually struck.

So yes get avoidance and Stamina but never forget Block Value is an easy way to boost mitigation.
Vanifae

Postby Tekkel » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:00 am

Your gear is ok. Some mobs hit like 2-3k yeh but there's also places where they hit like 500-1000. Tbh i've healed all heroics and we as pallys suck in any situation where the tank takes alot of damage but u can't neglect the party either.
A good pally healer can still heal all heroics but it will take him much more effort then a druid or priest. And blockvalue is godly for places where alot of mobs hit u for a lower value. SH and ramp are examples of that. With like 500 BV u can completely block their attack or reduce it to 50%.
Tekkel

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics