Heroic Shattered Halls question....

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Shattered Halls question....

Postby thangos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:11 am

Could someone let me know the major differences in SH heroic versus Non Heroic so i will know how to run it. Been trying to get Figurine of the collosus to drop in normal mode but if im going to be running it so much i feel like i would be better off getting badges while im trying to get the darn thing to drop. Or does it even drop in heroic mode?

Anyway i guess mainly what i am after is if you can AOE pull or do you slow to a crawl and go back to CCing everything? I hear a lot of people saying it is easy, but i was wanting someone to kind of give me a heads up before i go and wipe a group out on heroic mode because im a class 1 idiot.
thangos

Postby Zhelari » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:09 am

Yes, it will drop in heroic.

Depends on your gear really, but you should be able to pull then instance in an aoe style. It's going to be more on how well your healer can keep up tho.

When I aoe SH heroic, there's only a few pulls that I dont grab quite as many as normal.
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Zhelari

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 am

The differences are the followings:

- Things hit for much more, most of the mobs hit for 1k+ unmitigated.
- Casters nuke very hard. If i have a CC, i usually have them CCd. If i don't, i ask some melee to solo them while others kill other mobs. DPS warriors, rogues, ench shamans, feral druids can easily solo those mobs.
- Sharpshooters in the first corridor are very annoying. Since you don't want them to scattershot you, have again someone solo them, or CC them, or nuke them first; you may get a additional non-elite joining the fight but it's nothing to care about. Oh and cleanse the Viper Sting.
- The first boss might be a pain with a melee heavy party for the whirlwind he does when < 30% HP.
- You definitively cannot just run throught the gauntlet and aoe the mobs at the end, they hit very hard. According to your gear, take 4-6 mobs, then pause, then 4-6 more, pause, etc.
- After the gauntlet there's a additional miniboss with the 2 archer adds. The adds are nothing, DPS can solo them without problems, the boss however hits very hard (3kish melee) with a 3k cleave.
- The Gladiator packs are quite hard. The gladiators themselves hit for just 1k for 2k MS, the true issue are the Centurions with 2-3k melee hits. Have them stunlocked if you can, or nuke them quickly, expecially if someone can AoE the gladiator.
- On the last boss, the most useful tactic is probably aoetanking boss+adds and nuking down him, since the adds don't hit anywhere hard and the sharpshooters can't Scatter Shot in heroic mode.

Also, after you pass 1st boss' room, a timer will start. If you kill the NPC behind the last boss before that timer, you get a additional badge.

As personal suggestion, bring a good geared/skilled healer. Maybe bring a CC or 2 for the first times, until you get it to work.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Winchester » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:43 am

Honestly, i was pleasently suprised on how easy this instance is on heroic.
I run all heroics without crowd control, and i wasnt gonna let SH scare me into using crowd control, so me and my friends dove right into it.. and i gotta tell ya.. it was beautiful.

I always have a warlock with me in SH and he just throws seed of corruption on everyone, and they just go down sooo fast, and they dont really hit that hard.

Sharpshooters have yet to scattershot me, guess we're taking them down too quickly
To be fair we're pretty well geared, nothing crazy no SSC or anything.

First boss is the same, only killer in there are the beams that can take out a player within 2-3sec.
I havent lost the gauntlet yet.
Boss by the Archers (heroic only) isnt anything special, just a named guy who hits a bit harder than the normal mobs.
Gladiators go down to fast to cause trouble.
Ogre boss can be annoying but i found a way to get aggro back after he gets bored of me, worked every time now.

Start off tanking the fight with as little threat as you can while still holding aggro.
Then when someone gets aggro, tell them to stand where they are, then you run up to him pop avenging wrath and use highest rank of everything.
Before i started doing this i only tanked half the fight.
Last boss is a joke rly, does so little dmg on me even with the adds, that i oom too quick for comfort. Only hard part about him is keeping the dps up when he blade dances.

if you finish in time there is an xtra mob behind the last boss that drops 2random primals and 13-15 potions along with a badge of justice.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Everlight » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:10 am

The sharpshooters cannot scattershot in heroic mode. Thank god.
Everlight

THANKS!!!!

Postby thangos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:23 am

thanks for the info!
thangos

Postby Korath » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:45 am

Thanks from me aswell, considering how easy normal SH is with our group (no breaks, AOE the whole place) we have put Heroic SH at the top of our next try place when not raiding.

Orge boss will hopefully not be too bad as we have in our normal group...
Tankadin (me)
Arms Warrior (plate and more or less same health as me :P)
Resto Druid (Shift into bear if aggroed)
Mage (Iceblock)
PUG - Normally a guild lock or rogue.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Winchester » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:55 am

I have not tried SH with any melee classes, my friend did tell me that they were killing the tank on the last boss.

But then again he didnt have me tanking bwahahaha.
nah but yeah, more chance of him blade dancing into the melee a few times. Personally i welcome it so i can get some freaking mana back, but my melee companion would by the sound of things get mushed. he does about 3k on cloth it seems, if it's mitigated then it should be fine, but close to death.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 am

They probably don't know that the places where the blade dance goes are completely random and don't depend from people placement. Best way is just running into the stairs (mid stairs, not further) and having clothies running to corners and praying :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

re:

Postby thangos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:29 pm

I found a tip on one of the threads about not going in the circle with Kargath and that actually works. if your on the third step looking thing from his platform, and everyone stays behind you but inside range of your concecrate, when he whirlwinds he will only hit like you and mybe one other. the rest of the whirlwind he paths inside the platform hitting no one. I wonder if that works on heroic too?
thangos

Postby Minn » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:02 am

If you bring a Priest, you can Mind Control the Acolytes for an extra 105 Shadow Resist buff (stacks with Shadow Protection/Aura). This makes the 1st boss a lot easier. I recommend taking things a bit slower through the Gauntlet of Flame than you're used to on non-heroic. On the last guy, AE tank the adds and just burn the boss down asap. With a good healer, it is a fun instance for a tankadin.
Minn

Postby seregul » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I ran Heroic SH last night for the first time and it was more or less a disaster.

Here is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blade%27s+Edge&n=Seregul. I used the Jade Skull BP and the Moroes trinket in place of the Vindicator's and the FotC.

Everything leading up to the first boss was cake. It was me, holy priest, mage, rogue, and a lock. It was no trouble CCing three mobs and tanking the rest, even on the big pulls. At that point I felt I could've taken all of them if I had to. We downed the first boss no problem as well.

After we killed the first boss, our mage and holy priest had to leave. We replaced them with an enhance shaman and a holy paladin. It was here that things got shitty. We cleared the fire gauntlet with a couple miscues, but after that it became a nightmare. We accidentally pulled a Gladiator pack while taking the first Legionnaire group, when the rogues sap broke (is there a reliable way to grab the Legionnaire group without this happening?). So we tried to take out the Gladiator pack on the left side. Wiped the first time, then got it on the second. After that we were able to clear the first Legionnaire pack, but could not do the second one, for whatever reason. Used seduce and sap for the casters in the group, tanked the rest. At the point that the sap wore off, the Legionnaire (marked with a skull for first kill) is still not dead. We wiped, and that was about it. The 4 of them were in the same guild, and were grumbling about bringing in a guild warrior after the gladiator wipe. So I left.

My question is, do the Legionnaire groups in the 2nd hallway hit significantly harder, or is a priest a superior choice as a healer? Also, should I be maxing out my block value/rating at the expense of some avoidance and health?
Deviate by all means in name,
cuz we all crawl in quicksand the same.
seregul

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:52 pm

The legionaires enrage if you kill mobs before them. I'm not sure if this enrage "stacks" since we always kill it or 1 mob max first.

For SH i'd highly suggest stacking Block Value/Rating over everything else. Avoidance won't help you much when you have 6 mobs bashing you.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Kayoto » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 am

Worldie wrote:For SH i'd highly suggest stacking Block Value/Rating over everything else. Avoidance won't help you much when you have 6 mobs bashing you.

True to an extent. If you're really low on avoidance, you'll just be taking way too much incoming damage in there to get healed very effectively. Whenever I do my 40 minute Heroic SH runs, I also run with a high Block Value set of gear, but people tend to underestimate how much incoming damage you deter with decent avoidance, even in AoE packs.
Kayoto

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:33 am

For most of the AoE pulls in heroic SH, I wear my block set like Worldie suggested. The advantage of block rating over dodge/parry is that you end up mitigating much more damage per point of rating, assuming that you have high block value too. Against the champion pairs, I use my general tanking gear (health/mitigation), since I lose all avoidance when they stun me.

Sharpshooters do not scattershot on heroic. Instead, they viper sting. Far less annoying.

My groups usually skip the gladiator packs after the gauntlet, since they are probably the most dangerous mobs in that instance. We just pull everything back to the end of the gauntlet.

For the second boss, I wear threat gear and go easy until he transitions. If the other members of the group use Omen or KTM, I try to stay just below the dps with highest threat so that he doesn't switch at all. Otherwise, I save AW and a trinket and do a shield toss and judgement when he does switch. That's usually enough to pull him back onto me. BoP on a clothie is helpful too.

I also use threat gear for Kargath and open up with everything I have to establish an early threat lead. After that, I usually save my judgement to pick up incoming adds, consecrating at that point too. Wisdom on Kargath to keep myself from running OOM. Devotion aura to help mitigate the blade dance.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics