Black Morass

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Vanhelm » Sun May 20, 2007 12:24 pm

The only trouble I really have is lower threat on the caster elites

...oh and i fell through the map once :lol:
Vanhelm

Postby duckilama » Tue May 22, 2007 7:54 am

I've only done this thing twice, but it was pretty "easy" both times. I think I may be lucking out with "perfect" groups.

Run 1: Me, ShadowPriest, Shaman, Healadin, Warlock(?)
Run 2: Me, ShadowPriest, Druid, Hunter, Hunter

Let me tell you, I love Shadow Priests.
Run 2, I actually died and got battlerezzed *right* as the last boss died, but that's my own damn fault for not bringing any Super Healing Pots and waiting too long on LoH.

Both runs were really easy. I just tanked the Elites at the portals, NOTHING ELSE. No Consecrate, usually not helping on adds after the elite goes down, Tank the Elite, find the next portal. It is truly the *easiest* tank job I've ever seen. I'm not uncrushable, and just barely hit uncrittable on run 2(485Def, ~80% avoidance w/HS).

I do like farming Stonescale Eels and keeping a supply of both the +550 Armor AND the +2000 Armor(for 2 minutes) pots around - the 550 just for extra safety, and the 2000 for end-bosses, since I only have about 8k HPs. In 150 Rep, I'll have more HPs, since I'll hit revered with KoT.

Oh, yeah, we save the beacons for portals 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, except someone goofed last night and we had to do #16 without it.

So, maybe it's your group makeup? Try really hard to get a ShadowPriest for DPS and make sure you've got someone that knows what they're doing on Adds. That's about all I can say. I love my guild and my ShadowPriest friend! :)
duckilama

Postby honorshammer » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 am

Its nice if you add taker is a DPS & Heal hybrid, as they will often be out of range of the main healer. That's the problem we ran into.
honorshammer

Postby Chevalier » Tue May 22, 2007 10:00 am

I tried this again recently got to inbetween the 2nd and 3rd boss, let the Mage deal with the adds but the portals came too fast for us after the 2nd boss. I never noticed the Temporus debuff stacking to high though. Felt pretty confident about the instance, should be able to complete it the next time I venture in there.
Chevalier

Postby Karathos » Tue May 22, 2007 11:42 am

1. tank the mobs in front of the portals and try to get in the walking path as they go towards medevieh.

2. consecrate helps keep agro on everything as it comes out.

3. use your mount to get between portals. (after taking a quick drink)

4. you don't need 100% avoidance against level 72's.

5. 485 defense helps substantially (to smooth out damage spikes).

6. DPS! DPS! DPS! DPS is very key... burn down the rift lords/keepers and you don't get any more adds from that portal. (this could almost be #1 ...if you don't burn stuff down fast enough you end up with multiple portals at once. if you drag out the fights you run out of mana as does your healer... which is why you need to focus on the rift keeper.)

7. try to save your LOH until the last boss fight.

8. don't forget to use AW proactively .... it can help boost your threat in that initial pull. (AW + Sanc Aura + JoTC + SoR + Consecrate == ++good)

We managed BM in ~45 min with a prot paladin (10.5K hp buffed), holy priest (1100+ healing pre heroics/karazhan), affliction warlock, arcane/frost mage and rogue (who spent lots of time as a sheep). it is very possible to end up with 85% on mediveh's shield by the last boss....

(edited to clarify importance of the dps)

hope that helps!
Karathos

Postby Karathos » Wed May 23, 2007 6:24 am

Post 2.1 commentary on some apparent changes to the BM encounters

portals seemed to be physically closer together ...

2nd boss' knockbacks can hit you enough and move you far enough away from the rift that he will reset all damage on him. so don't let yourself get too far away from the rift.

the knockback causes healing stress as it can put you out of range of your healer. (something I didn't notice pre 2.1) so be aware of that. (I'm going to try to change positioning for the second fight when we do it again.)

side note, the righteous defense macro isn't working, so you will need to get a fixed version

not having enough defense gear to avoid crits is very detrimental. (found out after accidently swapping stuff out pre boss fight ... owww)

i'll have to try it again not on a patch day. (server wasn't up early enough for more than one attempt)
Karathos

Postby honorshammer » Thu May 24, 2007 6:01 am

Made a discovery in our Black Morass run last night. I was running with one of our guild Main Tank warrior. She is a fantastic 5/5/51 Warrior who knows what she is doing. I'm making it a point to get to know her better and make sure she sees me as a friend and not a threat to her raid spot.

Prot Paladins make pretty good add takers.

Think about it. What problems do the add takers run into.

1. Running out of mana (if a mana based class)
2. No way to AoE (non mana classes tend to have weak AoE)
3. Out of Range of the Healer, so they get killed.

Think about how a Prot Paladin handles these.

1. Seal of Wisdom, Judgement of Wisdom, Blessing of Wisdom. I can generate significant mana just by swinging my weapon. Plus with Spiritual Attunement, the healer can drop a HoT on me between portals and I'll get health AND mana from it.

2. Consecration is an AoE and each mob tagged will stop attacking Medivh and attack me

3. If I'm out of range of the healer, no problem. Heal myself or bubble and heal myself.
honorshammer

Postby Daeren » Thu May 24, 2007 6:27 am

Prot paladins = own because we don't need to have add-takers

Everyone focuses rift keepers while consecration picks up all the adds.

Easy.
Daeren

Need help

Postby RealDB » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Greetings fellow tankadins!

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Staghelm&n=Realdb

This is my current tanking gear. At least it should be.

My guild has been having trouble in this instance. I try to tank everything that comes through the portals, but sometimes it gets overwhelming.

Our only real problems seem to be the Rift Keepers. However, I'm sure the other two bosses, which we haven't faced yet, are going to be pains.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do better gear wise to help make this instance more enjoyable and less frustrating? I realize my shoulders only have one gem, I am just trying to save money for my own epic flying mount right now. :D
Level 67 Human Paladin - Staghelm
Silver Hand Sentinels
0/42/16
0/44/17 when I get to 70
RealDB

Postby Signum » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 am

I'm having troubles tanking this instance with my guild. We've been using the consecration method so I tank all the adds. This isn't a problem for the Rift Lords or the warlock type Rift Keepers, but the mage type Rift Keepers are causing all sorts of headache. At first when one shows up, I can handle the Keeper and keep a consecration on the ground in front of the portal to catch the adds. Eventually, though, the Keeper will frost nova and run off in a random direction to try to nuke me. This puts me in a rather bad situation. If I chase the elite, then I will be away from the portal (even behind it in one instance) and won't be able to catch the adds. Alternately, if I stay at the portal and continue grabbing adds, then the elite eventually loses interest in me and starts attacking the dpsers. I have no way to drag the Keeper back to the portal.

Every time I go, I pray for a bunch of Rift Lords, but sometimes I get a bad string of mages, and we eventually end up failing the instance because of wipes or just falling too far behind.

Does anyone have any advice for handling this?
Signum

Postby adese » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:40 am

Whenever I tank Black Morass on my Pally, I generally only tank the elites. We put 1 DPS on the elite with me, 1 DPS on the adds, and the final DPS switches between the adds and the elite, depending on the situation. Also depending on what class is DPSing the adds, I'll periodically throw down a Consecrate to pick up the whelps, but I'll generally focus only on the elites.

In my experience, the DPS can take the adds down fast enough that they don't really need to be tanked at all.
adese

Postby Karathos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:15 am

Signum wrote:...Every time I go, I pray for a bunch of Rift Lords, but sometimes I get a bad string of mages, and we eventually end up failing the instance because of wipes or just falling too far behind.

Does anyone have any advice for handling this?

Get closer to the Rift (I find that tanking with my back to the rift (very close to it), and Consecrating every chance I get is solid. Higher ranks of Consecrate help keep stuff glued to you better, and let the DPS burn stuff down.

If we are talking about the caster types that enter from the rift (not the rift keeper/rift lord) they go down very quickly. So you can have your DPS pick up the mage types if they run (they're pushovers) and BoF is handy for emergencies but if you can stay in melee range with them they will mostly Melee. (though they often will sheep the second person on the agro list in melee range. *waves at the sheeped rogue*)

If that is still giving you issues, try tank them on whatever the path TO Mediveh is as they all follow the same walking path there from that portal location.
Karathos

Postby Signum » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:52 am

The mages I'm talking about are the Rift Keepers that have mage spells. They cast polymorph, pyroblast, frost bolt, and frost nova. The problem I have with these particular elites is that when they frost nova, they run out of melee range. This moves them away from the portal, so if I chase them, I can't control the adds. The Rift Lords and the warlock Rift Keepers aren't a problem, because they always stay in melee range when I'm tanking them. I tried to Arcane Torrent them to try to pull them back to the portal, but I think they're immune to that. I do not know if they're immune to spell interrupts, but I can't seem to get my guildmates to use theirs. I've read about other paladins tanking the elites and the adds, and they don't talk about the mage Rift Keepers giving them trouble. What am I missing?
Signum

Postby Candiru » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 am

I have done black morass a ton of times, and I have never been Forst Novaed by them. And if they do a quick BoF or Cleanse should stop them getting too far.
Candiru

Postby Prepared » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Signum wrote:The mages I'm talking about are the Rift Keepers that have mage spells. They cast polymorph, pyroblast, frost bolt, and frost nova. The problem I have with these particular elites is that when they frost nova, they run out of melee range. This moves them away from the portal, so if I chase them, I can't control the adds. The Rift Lords and the warlock Rift Keepers aren't a problem, because they always stay in melee range when I'm tanking them. I tried to Arcane Torrent them to try to pull them back to the portal, but I think they're immune to that. I do not know if they're immune to spell interrupts, but I can't seem to get my guildmates to use theirs. I've read about other paladins tanking the elites and the adds, and they don't talk about the mage Rift Keepers giving them trouble. What am I missing?

When you get those, put Frost Resistance up. If that fails, you just have to be very quick on one of two buttons: Blessing of Freedom, or Cleanse.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics