Remove Advertisements

Getting mashed in heroic SP: Is it me or my healer?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Getting mashed in heroic SP: Is it me or my healer?

Postby Lakirby » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:47 am

I don't often tank too many heroics, but I'm wanting badges for the new gear in 2.3 (/drool) so I headed to heroic Slave Pens a couple of nights ago with 2 guildies (resto druid - 1100 +heal, and Kara/FSW geared warlock) and 2 pickups (Kara-geared hunter, SSC/TK-geared fury warrior). And I got absolutely mashed. Somehow we managed to wipe on the first pull - 1 bogstrok trapped, and my health just plummeted. Managed to wipe about 3 more times along the way too, until the group dissolved after 2nd boss.

From my own experience as a healer (I've played this toon as holy spec for over a year now, only started tanking about 6 weeks ago with drops I'd healed my way to getting) I'm thinking the druid was seriously undergeared, but the druid has been blaming me for the wiping since then and has whispered me with "just go respec holy already" quite a few times. It's bothering me a bit because I know that as a healer, heroic Slave Pens is piss easy apart from Quagmirran, but I don't see how it had to end up so painful.

Me on armory: Rawr!
I'm still potted and buffed up from Kara last night on armory.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Xanatos » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:09 am

Overall, the gear is pretty much where it's supposed to be. Just a few small points :-

1) You're exalted with Sha'tar - get the Shield (Crest of Sha'tar)

2) Not very sure about your choice of The Black Pearl as a ring. It's nice for stam and spell dmg but you may be better off using the Shermanaar ring from Kara if you have it or another avoidance ring if you're having problems (I use the spell dmg ring from scryers but I cannot think of the Aldor's equivalent off the top of my head).

3) It's nice to stack stam in your trinket slots but you may want to keep Figurine of the Colossus for aoe grinding situations. From personal experience, heroics tend to call for more dodge stacking (ala Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch) but YMMV.
Xanatos

Postby Comma » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 am

Were you taking too much dmg? were all mobs in control? If you were able to trap one, tank 2, its easy to heal. Check the healer's casting bar, and check your hots, see if spells were casted fast, imo its most likely your healer's problem.

"just go respec holy already"

Reply: and you go bear? nvm, I cant imagine how a bad healer play a tank role.
or: you arent helping, if you wanna find a better group, go ahead.

With that crap attitude, kick him out of the group, and get a new healer. Being in the same guild doesnt mean we have to tolerant everything including noobness.
Comma

Re: Getting mashed in heroic SP: Is it me or my healer?

Postby Mellithe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 am

Lakirby wrote:I don't often tank too many heroics, but I'm wanting badges for the new gear in 2.3 (/drool) so I headed to heroic Slave Pens a couple of nights ago with 2 guildies (resto druid - 1100 +heal, and Kara/FSW geared warlock) and 2 pickups (Kara-geared hunter, SSC/TK-geared fury warrior). And I got absolutely mashed. Somehow we managed to wipe on the first pull - 1 bogstrok trapped, and my health just plummeted. Managed to wipe about 3 more times along the way too, until the group dissolved after 2nd boss.

From my own experience as a healer (I've played this toon as holy spec for over a year now, only started tanking about 6 weeks ago with drops I'd healed my way to getting) I'm thinking the druid was seriously undergeared, but the druid has been blaming me for the wiping since then and has whispered me with "just go respec holy already" quite a few times. It's bothering me a bit because I know that as a healer, heroic Slave Pens is piss easy apart from Quagmirran, but I don't see how it had to end up so painful.

Me on armory: Rawr!
I'm still potted and buffed up from Kara last night on armory.

just grab a mage, a warlock, insert dps here(shadow priest), and a good priest or holy paladin and run that sucker

you are fine for gear, you are about where I am from looking you over. get the Exalted crest btw from Sha'tar worth it.

I do runs in heroic SP daily no deaths quick and easy. You can do them too :)
Winter is Coming
Mellithe

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:38 pm

The only really painful memories I have of heroic SP in my early days are the defender pairs that hit like trucks and knock you down. While you're on the ground, you can't avoid any hits, so they can be kinda nasty at that level of gear. I generally just had a rogue stunlock one of them if we had a rogue with us, otherwise I'd HoJ one after a few seconds so that they wouldn't both be beating on me while I was knocked down. Aside from that, the only fight that I remember being really nasty was the last boss.

And as others have mentioned, do get the Crest of the Sha'tar. It's a significant upgrade for you and will last until the ones from Nightbane or Gruul.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby cordelia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Sounds like the healer just wasn't expecting the amount of damage you take in heroics. IF you cc one of the crabs, the other two will hit you for about 2000 hp per hit each. A healer who goes into this with a reactive FoL mindset is going to let you die. That's heroics. A healer who recognizes that you're taking 2000 dps in damage will proactively heal you. That's all there is to it.

Just run with a different healer. Oh, also make sure you're uncrittable. For heroics, I go 485 defense, +hp, 300+ spelldam. Uncrushability is meaningless. Sometimes I'll stack spelldam up to 400 to play with my locke friends, and see if they can pull aggro when going all out.

If you have 3 rogues or lots of melee dps, you can always ask them to attack from behind. Oh, and proactive HoJ is always good. 3 crabs? cc one, tank 2. After you take a little bit of damage, stun one. That gives the healer a chance to recover from the damage of 2 crabs. Once he tops you off, the crab is unstunned, a couple hits later, it dies.
cordelia

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Another minor note: greater bogstroks hit for significantly more than the regular variety (maybe around twice the damage, if I recall correctly), so either CC those or kill them first.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Lakirby » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:24 am

Thanks for your help - will try grab the Crest of the Sha'tar (with 18 sta/2x SSoE) as soon as possible - hadn't got it before now because raid healbotting is a total money sink. I'm in line for a few upgrades soon, next Panzar'thar is mine, but Moroes has never dropped his trinket for my guild. We've been in Kara since June... I'm also planning to drop large quantities of DKP on T4 prot shoulders if they drop tomorrow from Maulgar, screw the fact my GM wants me to take the holy ones.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics