Help needed on first ever movement fight

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tresjynn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:28 am

Guillex wrote:He's taken a couple of VWs while I kite him, but it's nothing substantial.

Or, you could have ranged DPS shooting Vorpil, retargeting to kill a voidwalker, shooting Vorpil again, and have him take no self-heals from VWs. Is there some kind of downside to this approach?
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby Alienor » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 pm

I usually just run in and tank him where he stands, then DPS opens up. Usually he dies just before or shortly after the first teleport. This is the strat I've always used even before the parties I went with over geared it.

I mean, if you see a void walker coming, you can move him a little side to side to try and get away from it, but honestly, I think it's just easier to burn him through the heals where he stands.

The other thing is that he does very little damage, you can have your healer DPS for half the fight.
Alienor

Re: Help needed on first ever movement fight

Postby Nidal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:04 pm

Questioner wrote:
Nidal wrote:And then the last boss came.

I know I know, nothing to do with your post, but, I just thought I would mention that Vorpil is not the last boss. He opens a door to Murmur.

Well, he was the last boss for us...lol! Anyway, thanks for all the advice! It seems that there is really no set strategy for this fight as we've got quite a few posts detailing a different method.

I did suspect that our DPS was just not cutting it as we would be teleported 5-6 times per attempt, and several posters mentioned bringing him down within 3.

Anyone have any videos of a successful take down? Just would help to actually see it done.
Nidal

Postby jere » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:07 pm

Nidal wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Nidal wrote:And then the last boss came.

I know I know, nothing to do with your post, but, I just thought I would mention that Vorpil is not the last boss. He opens a door to Murmur.

Well, he was the last boss for us...lol! Anyway, thanks for all the advice! It seems that there is really no set strategy for this fight as we've got quite a few posts detailing a different method.

I did suspect that our DPS was just not cutting it as we would be teleported 5-6 times per attempt, and several posters mentioned bringing him down within 3.

Anyone have any videos of a successful take down? Just would help to actually see it done.

I don't have a video of this, but my last shadow labs run consisted of
Me
3 warlocks
priest

Vorpal never got a single teleport off before he was pushing up daisies. Of course, with a group like that you don't use CC much, you just AoE tank and let the Seeds of Corruption play.
jere

Postby Tresjynn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Nidal wrote:I did suspect that our DPS was just not cutting it as we would be teleported 5-6 times per attempt, and several posters mentioned bringing him down within 3.

Yeah, if it takes 5-6, your group's DPS isn't good enough. By the 3rd teleport the voidwalkers are spawning rapid-fire and it goes downhill from there.

Granted, the fact that he gets healed by every voidwalker that reaches him may have something to do with lengthening the fight. If you're kiting him, he teleports back to his pedestal, 2 or 3 adds converge on him, all of them heal him before the group can stop them, then you just lost a whole lot of ground.
Two accounts, two tankadins! Raaar.
Tresjynn

Postby Nidal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Ok, so I finally got enough DPS behind me to burn Vorpil down. Was much easier than it was previously. Thanks for the tips!

But then we went to Murmur...and had a similar problem. The movement part just killed me. Out/in, out/in, bah. Trying to determine when I needed to gtfo and when to get back in was a major pain. We tried 4 times and just couldn't get it.

The rogue and myself kept getting caught in the 'slow-mo' aoe. Not every time mind you, but even if we both got out/in ok 3 or 4 times if one of us mistimed it just once we got hosed.

I found it very difficult to watch my chat box for the emote that signals the aoe is coming, as I rarely look at it while in combat. I'm always watching my cooldowns so I don't skip a beat. I had become quite happy with my ability rotation and timing and then this comes along.

So, what do I do to handle Murmur? Is it possible to just stay there and be healed through the aoe? I really have learned to hate Slabs due to the crazy movement requirements for these last two bosses. But I really want to be able to say that I've finished the damn instance--at least once.
Nidal

Postby Dorvan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:34 pm

Turn on Enemy casting bars (I'm 99% that's included with the default UI now, but I use xPerl). Now just watch for the sonic boom castbar (or the inward pulses on the floor around you) and run at as soon as you see them. This fight is harder for Paladins than Druids or Warriors because we lack a "charge" to get right back to Murmur, but watching for the sonic boom is a good (if very basic) test of situational awareness.

Situational awareness is, in my opinion, the single most important skill for a tank. Conversely, getting tunnel vision is an absolute disaster. Great tanks should constantly be watching for loose mobs, anticipating the next DPS target, watching for mob special abilities, even monitoring healer cast bars so you know whether the heal will get off or you'd better pot/pop a trinket. Sometimes there's a lot going on at once, so practice focusing on multiple events. It's a bit overwhelming at first so start with small things. For example, you could make it your goal on your next SL to always pick up Assassins within 4 seconds of their spawning.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Magnusharkov » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:54 pm

I have a simple but very effective tip for murmur, well its helped me anyway :p. Firstly tank him as far away as possible, his melee box is a lot bigger than you'd think. Secondly tank with the camera facing away from him and pointing back down the corridor. As soon as sonic boom comes up just click both buttons on your mouse and you'll run away without any need to worry about turning, saves a lot of time.
Magnusharkov

Postby Everlight » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:03 pm

Yes, situational awareness is absolutely key. Myself, I'm always staring at everyone's health bars, turning my view around, watching cast bars, etc etc.

Now, for Murmur. If you have AD, this fight is actually quite easy. As long as you have a big enough health pool that he can't kill you from 20% before a healer can save you, just stand in there and take the boom. It always takes you to 20% health, regardless of how much health you have. So if your healer knows it's coming, they can just stop healing you, and wind up something big to land just as the Sonic Boom knocks you down to 20%.

The fact that we have Ardent Defender is a strong bonus there, since we mitigate a lot more damage immediately after the Boom, making it more viable to just stand in there and eat it.
Everlight

Postby Bige » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:09 pm

I always stand in for this fight as well. Just warn your healer to start a max rank heal as soon as the boom starts casting and you'll be fine. Since we can't charge as mentioned above, play to our strengths. When you see the boom starting, don't run out, just cast a max rank Holy Light on yourself. You can time it quite easily so you finish casting after the boom and before his first swing (to avoid any pushback interrupt). Between the two big heals, you'll usually be near full health after every boom. And don't forget about LoH if your healer gets silenced.

I completely agree situational awareness is extremely important for tanks and this may seem like taking the easy route, but finding a strat that works best for us is important too.
Bige

Postby Marle » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:01 pm

Whatever strategy you choose for Murmur, turning on enemy casting bars is a huge help. That way you can see when he starts casting and when the big hit will land. Remember that you can Divine Shield while he's casting Sonic Boom, just make sure you cancel it after he's finished or he'll turn around and smack the rogue :D

For Vorpil, though you've probably worked it out by now, I found that you'll always be facing south after a teleport.
Marle

Postby Ralthos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:27 pm

A couple tricks I use for SL:

When tanking Vorpil, kite him in the same direction twice the first time. This optimizes the spacing the the VWs because there just aren't that many. Tank south west one time, south east the other, and then north. If he's not dead by then, your DPS sucks. Having a caster or hunter on the VWs can help if you're really being locked down. On my mage, I find myself using Frost Nova a fair bit to assist the kite.

On Murmur, the biggest trick you can use to help yourself is to familiarize yourself with the range of the Boom. It extends roughly to the outside edge of the raised ledge surrounding him. Next, find the outside edge of his hit box. You won't be able to hit him with consecration, but it won't matter. Third, organize your UI such that your tank rotation abilities are very near your chat box. I use Bongos and Xperl, so everything I need is right next to each other. With this setup, I'm easily able to see the emote for Sonic Boom, the cast bar (as it's in the Xperl target frame), and still watch my abilities.
Ralthos

Postby Everlight » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Oh yeah, with Murmur, if you're the only one in melee range, don't worry about generating threat. Just swing away with JoL/SoL, spam your HS key, and watch the chat window :)
Everlight

Postby Marle » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm

I put up JoL and go AFK for a couple of minutes. Easy fight without melee :D
Marle

Postby cdan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Something to remember on Vorpil is that most ranged DPS have to stand still for at least a second or two to get shots / spells off. Running Vorpil up and down when tanking him is not best practice.
Had a warrior tank doing the 100m sprint north and south all day when on an alt the other night and it drove me nuts when he decided to announce that the DPS was lacking for the fight after the 3rd wipe.
Like people have said - for a tank, knowing what is going on around you is just as important as watching the cooldown timer on HS.
cdan

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics