Remove Advertisements

Am I geared enough for Heroics and Kara?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Am I geared enough for Heroics and Kara?

Postby mrwolf11 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:24 pm

I tend to consider myself a novice at tanking.

But thanks to some great guides on this site, I've been able to gear up and learn the basics of tankng as a paladin. Now, I can comfortably hold aggro, and run any regular instance.

But I'm not confident that I have enough gear, mana, etc. to be efficient in Heroics or Kara.

P.S.: I know WotLK is around the corner. So I'm not going to spend too much gold to improve. But, I'll try to raise my repution while doing heroics and Kara.

From the info provided, do you think I have enough to tackle the job?

Thank you for your input.

mrwolf11

Postby majiben » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:24 am

With the addition of diminishing returns you really shouldn't gem for dodge anymore and gemming for parry with rare gems is a no no. Replace your +8 dodge gems and +4 dodge/6stamins gems with +12 stamina gems. Yes your avoidance will take a hit but you will get some much needed HP.

Drop your +26 defense trinket for a stamina trinket. To help make up for this loss of defense get +15 defense to your chest (+150 hp is a really cheap enchant that should be avoided for lvl 70s) and pick up This from the sso. You actually have a lot of resilence so you could stand to drop defense for more stamina. With your current head and enchant you could drop as low as 470 defense and be perfectly safe. Keep grinding rep for your KoT head enchant.

Basically replace all red or purple gems with stamina gems, leave green and yellow gems alone.

Consider changing your hand enchant to +10 stamina since threat shouldn't be too hard now or +15 str if you want more BV and AP. Your back might also be better off as +12 defense. A quick point about your chest enchant again: +6 stats is actually a very good enchant now.

Always run with dev aura as you start out heroics, it's easily 2% less damage taken. I also see you picked up kings, this is very good at this point in your career. I suggest you use kings on yourself for your first heroics and se how your mana issues are.

As of now with no changes you could do the easier heroics without a lot of difficulty, make the changes and you should be able to handle most heroic without too much trouble if you know the trash. They nerfed heroics alot. Just make sure your dps isn't going hog wild off the bat and avoid using their knock back spells (CURSE YOU TIDAL WAVE).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby amh » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:12 am

1. Swap that gavel for Inuuro´s, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34672

2. Swap the coin for something with stamina, or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28042 if you´re short on defense after point 3.

3. Regem for pure stamina

You should be fine for everything in Kara, Prince might be hard unless you have very good healers.

Oh, and you have more mana than me. It really isn´t an issue :)

- http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... ght&n=fsck
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby mrwolf11 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for your help. I manage to maintain my defensive skills above 490 with the Inuuro. But why is it recommended? I thought spell power was important to maintain Holy dmg up...

Also, now that I have more stamina and I am above the 490 limit, does it mean I don't have to worry about my avoidance stats for now?
mrwolf11

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:58 pm

Read FAQ and then follow the links at the bottom for more info.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Lookit » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:27 am

mrwolf11 wrote:Thanks for your help. I manage to maintain my defensive skills above 490 with the Inuuro. But why is it recommended? I thought spell power was important to maintain Holy dmg up...

Also, now that I have more stamina and I am above the 490 limit, does it mean I don't have to worry about my avoidance stats for now?

With the new patch, spell power is no longer the best threat stat for paladin tanks - Strength is. All of our abiliites scale with AP now, and 2 STR now equals 1 Block Value, meaning we can get tons of block now from stacking our primary threat stat.

And you definitely want to continue increasing your avoidance even past 490 defense, it's just that with only 11k health, you will benefit a lot more from beefing up your stamina first, and worrying about avoidance once you have a healthier healthpool.

Stamina is especially nice to stack now that 30% of it gets converted to spellpower. (Even though strength is overall better for threat, spellpower still increases your threat and is great if you can get it for "free")
Lookit

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics