Remove Advertisements

Holy pally AOE tank healing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Holy pally AOE tank healing

Postby mouseman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm

How is this healing from a holy pally in a heroic with no CC used:

HPS 638
Crit 25.3%
Flash of light cast 64.8% (446) of the time (1255 avg, 1524 max)
Holy Light cast 35.2% (83) of the time (3565 avg, 4237 max)

As the pally tank, I felt the spirit of the grim reaper too frequently in ardent defender territory but it was a successful run with no wipe. Was this a good rotation with sufficient heals by the healer or do I need better gear to AOE tank heroics without CC more comfortably. I know in T5 raids FL are strongly discouraged but does that extend into heroics and T4?
mouseman

Postby caboom » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:02 am

the only other paladins i like in my 5 mans are retribution.
caboom

Postby mouseman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:44 am

caboom wrote:the only other paladins i like in my 5 mans are retribution.

Would my life as an AOE tank be easier if I avoided certain healing classes in LFG? And why?
mouseman

Postby Katerina » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:54 am

1200 FoL is low. In my 'lol-healing' gear, specced prot, my FoL hit for 1100. So I suspect your healer was undergeared.

But the fact remains that *good* healers are the ones behind the keyboard, not the toon and gear.

I've known some terrific pally healers, so I would never advise someone to shun them. Some players are just inept or lazy or slow or distracted. (I honestly had a healer once who went afk a few seconds into a boss fight to order pizza - and without saying a word. And there are a lot of people who spend more time typing to friends than playing, even while in instances....) I've run with priests and shamans that I *knew* had 2200 bonus healing who just couldn't seem to keep up. I did heroic slabs with a tree the other day who had 1100 bonus healing and did an amazing job. (Though had I known his gear was that bad going in, I probably would not have allowed him to single heal it.)

You will eventually build a friends list of people that you enjoy playing with. But when dealing with people you don't know (or don't know their healing abilities) you'll have to play to compensate for their weakness.
Katerina

Postby blkthunder » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:23 pm

I prefer a pally healer to most. In almost all situations, I'll be the only one needing a heal, so it works out fine. Big heals, uber Mana-Efficiency and double pally buffs = ftw. His heals were a lil low, but nothing you prob couldnt have stacked a bit more mitigation for ;) The only thing a pally healer has to really do is spam FoL regardless of if you're taking dmg or not because its better to be PROactive than REactive for healing. Throwing in a low rank HL to keep up the Illumination/MP5 Libram every couple FoL is good policy too for general purpose. I have a DF/HS macro that i use in emergency situations, or to prep for a rank 11 HL.
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics